Question for Trent (Read 982 times)

I just have a quick question for you.....I just found out that I'm pregnant and I can say with 99.9% certainty that I conceived on August 25...but that wouldve only been 2 days before I was due for my next period. My LMP was july 28th (I think). I dont have a doc appt until next week, but this is driving me crazy..... Is it possible that I conceived that close to my period being due? It defintely was NOT 2 weeks after my LMP, as I took a preg test 2 weeks ago before a bachelorette party (just to make sure I was good to drink my face off) and it was clearly negative. I did a quant HCG and I thought it seemd a little high at 687 for just one week along. I'm obsessing over this b/c if I go by the date of my LMP, my due date would be at beginning of May, however, it would be beginnig of June if I go by my date of August 25th. any suggestions?? Thanks in advance and sorry for others who might think this is TMI

A Saucy Wench

Well I am not trent, but wth. Chrissy - it is possible - are you normally regular as clockwork or somewhat erratic? Tell your OB that you have no idea how far along you are and they can do an early ultrasound. Dating on early early ultrasounds is usually pretty accurate because of specific developments in the first 6 weeks. In my experience if you say well my LMP was date y but I KNOW I didnt conceive 2 weeks after that they will go "pooh-pooh you are just a civilian who couldnt possibly know anything so we'll just go with LMP" I would push for the early ultrasound, if only to prevent what happens 9 months from now. When they think you are 2 weeks farther along than you are and want to induce your "overdue" baby. By the way....if you are calculating your due date based on August 25th, you have to subract 14 days - by some stupid logic the date you actually have sperm meet egg you are already "2 weeks pregnant"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

By the way....if you are calculating your due date based on August 25th, you have to subract 14 days - by some stupid logic the date you actually have sperm meet egg you are already "2 weeks pregnant"
        That's always puzzled me, but I guess they make all calculations on the date of last period prior to conception. By that rationale, all women are two weeks pregnant. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Right. So, and as Ennay suggested, a first trimester ultrasound is usually the best way to date a pregnancy. Knowing with certainty the date of your last menstrual period's start is also usually good if you are regular. It is possible to get pregnant and then have some bleeding and think it is your menses, but it is not. This will result in your being a month further along than you would expect. A quant HCG is not usually very helpful other than to confirm that you are pregnant. Knowing the date that you had sex is also not always very good because sperm can hang around for a week or so waiting for an egg. It is possible to ovulate late and conceive 2 days before when you would have expected your menses. Had you not conceived, your period would have been late. Remember, pregnancy is dated as weeks since LMP, which equals weeks since conception + 2. Urine pregnancy tests can be positive as early as 7-10 days after conception, but do not always turn positive that quickly. A dilute urine can make them falsely negative. Sometimes they also simply don't work. So I don't place much faith in two negative tests done on the same night 3 weeks after your LMP and possibly only 1 week after a possibly conception. Especially if you had been drinking Wink and diluting your urine. If HCG were helpful (and it is rarely very precise), you would expect a 687 to correspond with 5-6 weeks of pregnancy (i.e., 3-4 weeks since conception). If your LMP was July 28, it is now about 5 weeks later, which is reasonably consistent.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

And this : Congrats!!!
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

One other thought: it is possible that you conceived on August 25 after a late ovulation and your HCG is so high because you are having twins. Evil grin
                Just popping in to say congrats!
                -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.

A Saucy Wench

One other thought: it is possible that you conceived on August 25 after a late ovulation and your HCG is so high because you are having twins. Evil grin
                  I wasnt going to tell her that Trent. Evil grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Oh SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT that is NOT funny - we had twins in the family (my aunt) but unfortunately they both passed after birth (unknown reasoning 35 years ago). so my mom is constantly telling me the next set is gonna be me. so yes, I HAVE thought of this, but I am trying to not ponder it too much or I will lose my mind. I just can't seem to comprehend that I would be 5 weeks along already. Our lab preg tests are sensitive to 25 mg/dl so if I took one 2 weeks ago it certainly shouldve picked it up i would think!! plus, since it was a bachelorette party i TOTALLY went overboard and was beyond comprehension DRUNK. People have always joked with me that almost every women gets drunk right before they get pregnant, but that was the whole reason I tested myself before i even went. I would never intentionally drink like that had I known I was already incubating........I'm gonna crap my pants this whole pregnancy if it turns out I was preggo at this party. I have been treating my body like a freakin temple for the last 5 or 6 months in preparation for this process to start happening - this is gonna seriously bother me. Now I'm gonna go ram my head against a hard wooden door for about an hour
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

plus, since it was a bachelorette party i TOTALLY went overboard and was beyond comprehension DRUNK. People have always joked with me that almost every women gets drunk right before they get pregnant, but that was the whole reason I tested myself before i even went. I would never intentionally drink like that had I known I was already incubating........I'm gonna crap my pants this whole pregnancy if it turns out I was preggo at this party. I have been treating my body like a freakin temple for the last 5 or 6 months in preparation for this process to start happening - this is gonna seriously bother me. Now I'm gonna go ram my head against a hard wooden door for about an hour
                      Oh, don't beat yourself up over that. backroadrunner got VERY VERY drunk for several evenings running while on a hunting weekend with her dad. One morning she woke with what she thought was a severe hangover...turned out it was hyperemesis (ie BAD morning sickness). I think at the time she was already more than a couple of weeks along. Her son was and still is a pretty perfect kid. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I agree with Kirsten - if one overdrinking episode were enough to harm a fetus, most of us would be in big trouble! I had a similar experience, and my FIL, an OB/GYN, told me not to lose any sleep over it. He was right - DS is taking all honors classes and runs like the wind. Don't worry!!

Baby bean!

Congrats!!! Plus, I don't think you share a bloodstream or something like that until the 2nd trimester, so your night of drinking is okay. Wink

Goals:
                          Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What was your uSG when you did the first pregnancy tests? A bunch of drinks right around the time of conception are likely totally innocuous.
                              My specific gravity? I have no idea - I didnt dip the urine, just did the test. I do drink a lot of water throughout the day, but I didnt think it was too diluted.....who knows........I'm about to give up trying to think this through and just let it be. Its too late now to change anything right? I'm just nervous nelly by nature. And i am totally too impatient to have to wait the typical incubation time for this new person. My nails are gonna be chewed down to the bone by next week already.
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A uSG<1.020 increases the chance of getting a false negative with the urine pregnancy test. in clinic, we always dip the urine first and if the sg is too low, we consider not running the urine qual hcg for possible early pregnancy. but you are right. nothing to do now. except take your pnvs and get that ultrasound :d let us know! increases="" the="" chance="" of="" getting="" a="" false="" negative="" with="" the="" urine="" pregnancy="" test.="" in="" clinic,="" we="" always="" dip="" the="" urine="" first="" and="" if="" the="" sg="" is="" too="" low,="" we="" consider="" not="" running="" the="" urine="" qual="" hcg="" for="" possible="" early="" pregnancy.="" but="" you="" are="" right.="" nothing="" to="" do="" now.="" except="" take="" your="" pnvs="" and="" get="" that="" ultrasound="" :d="" let="" us=""></1.020 increases the chance of getting a false negative with the urine pregnancy test. in clinic, we always dip the urine first and if the sg is too low, we consider not running the urine qual hcg for possible early pregnancy. but you are right. nothing to do now. except take your pnvs and get that ultrasound :d let us know!>