its not a running gadget, but still......... (Read 867 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am just looking at going to the poor house to replace my cameras and all the lenses that go with them. Its gonna cost thousands.... Cry And after many many yeaqrs of waiting, I finally got a B&W darkroom set up and I haven't gotten to use it very much....somehow it doesn't seem natural to sit at a computer and tweak a photo as much as it is being in the darkroom and messing with chemicals, paper and light.... show me some sympathy...sniff sniff....
    I hear that...I LOVED color darkroom work. I do miss that...it's quiet, dark...but it also means a lot of wasted paper. You will almost certainly have to replace your lenses, as you seem to be aware of. Older lenses often don't communicate well with newer digital cameras. Even some newer lenses need "rechipping." But you can probably avoid a lot of filters...you'd still want a polarizer, but colored filters are not as necessary with digital, since you can tweak stuff in PS. What cameras are you looking at? I REALLY love my Canons. They seem to have the lock on digital technology with their camera bodies, lenses, and flash units. Good stuff.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The youngest lens I have I bought in 1991 in Singapore. They are all manual lens so the rechipping is out Tongue I am looking at the Nikon D80 or D200 or a Canon D40....although there are new models coming out for each manufacturer this summer. What it will come down to is the hand grip. If I remember right, the Nikon grip is too large for my hands. I suffer over the fact that computers make good photographers out of mediocre people and there isn't the skill required anymore...(not that I was that good). Sure used to make a killing off of jocks in high school...would sell them a B&W print for 5 bucks that cost me 25 cents to do...of course, the majorettes got em' for free Big grin (not that that got me anything.... Undecided)
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I suffer over the fact that computers make good photographers out of mediocre people and there isn't the skill required anymore...(not that I was that good).
        I think a computer only will get a mediocre photographer so far. Sure, a person can play with contrast, color, tweak focus, etc. But a poor photo cannot be made stunning--especially to a critical eye. Where digital does help is it give instant feedback, so it makes it easier for people to learn without the $$ investment in film and paper. A person can make different adjustments to camera settings and see what gives them the results they desire and what doesn't work. That's pretty handy. I would definitely look at the Canon 40D. I have a 10D and 20D and they are really wonderful cameras. The entire Canon DSLR system is fantastic. I know far more pros who shoot with Canon (at least for digital) than any other manufacturer, so that says a lot, I think.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay