Best way to loosen hips (Read 2134 times)

heather85

My hips are very tight.  No pain or injury, but it has eventually gotten to the point where my stride is impeded.  I think I've just done way too much slow running.   If I stretch the hips out (making up the stretches) I immediately speed up with no effort change, but it doesn't last very long (a couple miles) before it starts feeling rough in the hips even though nowhere else.  I didn't really notice it (though I noticed slowing down) until I did a stretch a friend was doing during a run and it immediately sped up my pace without anything else changing. 

I have two weeks to focus on it; what is the best way to loosen my hips?  Would some light, nonexhaustive (taper) attempts at speedwork help?   A multifaceted approach is fine.  I have some ideas for how to prevent it in the future, but not so much how to fix it now.

I don't sit very much most days.  Everything I'm reading seems to focus on that.

Thanks!

Ostrich runner

It depends on what you mean by your hips. You probably have a tight psoas. Stretching that is fine, but you'll need to find the reason it is tightening. Often it is related to weak hamstrings or glutes. Once those tire out, many people over recruit the psoas, which leads to the feeling of tightness in your hips.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

heather85

It depends on what you mean by your hips. You probably have a tight psoas. Stretching that is fine, but you'll need to find the reason it is tightening. Often it is related to weak hamstrings or glutes. Once those tire out, many people over recruit the psoas, which leads to the feeling of tightness in your hips.

Not sure I can strengthen much in a couple weeks.  It is tight constantly, not just after a while.  (Is a little better after ~5 miles but not terribly much.

It feels tight along the side/top of hips, moving downwards. Like I said, no pain, just tight.   I feel it when I try to kick my leg forward (doesn't go very far) or lift my leg laterally (also doesn't go very far)  Didn't realize how tight until I tried to stretch, because while my stride changed, I didn't actually feel anything.

I know I'll need to do differently long term (this is the first problem I've had with this in 13 years of running though) but now I just want it to relax short term through the race Smile 

I have looked at ART or massage or a combination too but I'm not sure what and when is best in the next two weeks to schedule, or if it will help at all.

Since it only showed up after running slow a lot, and never after the same mileage faster, it occurred to me maybe some speedwork would help, but I'm making that up.  (I'm used to running mostly at 2:30 min/mi slower than current 5K pace, though with speedwork, this has been much greater and not many faster breaks)

Why is it sideways?

Some questions:

Why were you running extremely slowly?

Are you updating your log presently (seems like no)?

What is the race, when is it, do you have to run it?

You don't have to answer these questions, but they might help with an answer. Usually tight hips means that your glutes and stuff are weak and not firing properly. The best way to get flexibility in the hips for runners is to get that action back in the glutes.

I have been using this series of stretches, and I really like it.

A final thought is that you might have been running too much (and not just too slowly.) (When I look at your log I think you run too much for training purposes--though you might like to run that much and if so that's great.)

My hips are very tight.  No pain or injury, but it has eventually gotten to the point where my stride is impeded.  I think I've just done way too much slow running.   If I stretch the hips out (making up the stretches) I immediately speed up with no effort change, but it doesn't last very long (a couple miles) before it starts feeling rough in the hips even though nowhere else.  I didn't really notice it (though I noticed slowing down) until I did a stretch a friend was doing during a run and it immediately sped up my pace without anything else changing. 

I have two weeks to focus on it; what is the best way to loosen my hips?  Would some light, nonexhaustive (taper) attempts at speedwork help?   A multifaceted approach is fine.  I have some ideas for how to prevent it in the future, but not so much how to fix it now.

I don't sit very much most days.  Everything I'm reading seems to focus on that.

Thanks!

Some of you know that I've been an advocate of "not too much running" but to balance your training more instead of just doing lots and lots of long (slow) running. 

Stretching is fine but more active stretching probably be better.  Hill training can fulfill that but some exercises would even be better.

Here it shows some simple hip stretching exercises (somewhere around 52 seconds on):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed5I4FFfeHA&feature=related

Some of the most effective drills can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwwC_ILdWMY&feature=related

Or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNJ4Ycus890&feature=related  One of my favorite exercises is at 10:32 into this one; basically skipping over mini-hurdles or cones.  You'd be surprised how much this one works your legs!!

heather85

Some questions:

Why were you running extremely slowly?

Are you updating your log presently (seems like no)?

What is the race, when is it, do you have to run it?

You don't have to answer these questions, but they might help with an answer. Usually tight hips means that your glutes and stuff are weak and not firing properly. The best way to get flexibility in the hips for runners is to get that action back in the glutes.

A final thought is that you might have been running too much (and not just too slowly.) (When I look at your log I think you run too much for training purposes--though you might like to run that much and if so that's great.)

Dec 10, 50 miler.  First.  Absolutely don't want to skip it,

No. not updating my log. Still running. Entered taper a week ago.

Extremely slowly - few reasons but mainly, I started overtraining.  After some days off didn't fix it, I've been trying just not to lose too much for a couple months now, doing what I can and bare minimum with ultra focus to get to the finish line. 

I do like to run a lot, but I have run the weekly mileage very often (again, with more intensity) in the past with no problems - but then, I was somewhat faster and very much leaner at that point.

I have had what seems like overtraining and other problems popping up all over the place the last couple months, the hips is not the first of it.  Been trying to get through the race, recover from all the beating up of my body, and fall back to the running I like to do - 90-120 minutes each day, rare long runs.

Thanks for the link.

Thanks Nobby for the tips.  I will try those drills.

Usually tight hips means that your glutes and stuff are weak and not firing properly. The best way to get flexibility in the hips for runners is to get that action back in the glutes.

I don't know about my "stuff", but I cycled a good bit over the summer and found that it helped with some of the nagging pains I'd previously had.  Now that I'm running again and not riding, I'm noticing my hips are tighter again.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Ostrich runner

The best way to get flexibility in the hips for runners is to get that action back in the glutes.

What he said. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

L Train

Good stuff, Jeff, thanks.

My hips get tight when I'm running low mileage.  I take this to be because when I'm not running much, I tend to neglect my strides, drills and hills (along with most fast running.)  I think it's actually slow running that makes my hips tight, not too much running.

So I would say short hill charges and strides are a safe thing to do during taper and should help.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Dec 10, 50 miler.  First.  Absolutely don't want to skip it,

No. not updating my log. Still running. Entered taper a week ago.

Extremely slowly - few reasons but mainly, I started overtraining.  After some days off didn't fix it, I've been trying just not to lose too much for a couple months now, doing what I can and bare minimum with ultra focus to get to the finish line. 

I do like to run a lot, but I have run the weekly mileage very often (again, with more intensity) in the past with no problems - but then, I was somewhat faster and very much leaner at that point.

I have had what seems like overtraining and other problems popping up all over the place the last couple months, the hips is not the first of it.  Been trying to get through the race, recover from all the beating up of my body, and fall back to the running I like to do - 90-120 minutes each day, rare long runs.

Thanks for the link.

Thanks Nobby for the tips.  I will try those drills.

Okay--I don't think those stretches will necessarily get you loosened up by the 10th, but hopefully after that you can reboot the system and get back to what was working for you.

I agree with mikey and Nobby (and you!) that more variety, strides, drills and balance in training will be key. This would be hard for me to do with the type of volume that you do, but I know others who could handle it. Sounds like you have experience with very high volume. I just read read that Cam Levins, who is a top Canadian NCAA runner, averaged 155+mpw during his competitive XC season. It is interesting to note, though, that he was doing this volume in triples--so still, the majority of his runs less than or around 60 minutes.

Maybe after that 50 miler, 6 weeks focused on rest and shorter runs would get you mentally and physically straight and out of that overtraining funk.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

xor

loose hips sink ships

L Train

I like the way you move your lips.

Roxy27

my little devil

Foam Roller!!!!!