Dumb Question about Mile Splits (Read 136 times)

How do you display mile splits in the running log?

I can go into my recorded runs and change each one to show mile splits manually, but I can't figure out how to save it so that it shows the split time for each mile and keep it saved that way.

an amazing likeness

Because I'm not 100% certain I understand the question, I'm probably going to give a reply which doesn't help -- if that's the case,hopefully someone else will offer something of value.

As a general reply -- the splits are separate from the distance / time of the workout. So you enter the total distance & time, then if you want to add split data, add them as a detail.  The workout gets it distance / time from the summary entry, not by totaling the splits.

But it looks to me like you're uploading data from a GPS, so normally the splits come from the device. If you hit the split button while running (or use auto laps), that data will be populated.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

Oh, oh, oh -- it just clicked what you're asking about -- you are using the "manual laps" feature to break your uploaded GPS data into splits.

Those "manual laps" are generated from the data for display only, they can't be saved.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

If you are uploading from GPS and want RA to display mile splits, you need to set your watch to autolap every mile, or manually mark a lap every mile using the lap button on your watch.

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

How do you display mile splits in the running log?

I can go into my recorded runs and change each one to show mile splits manually, but I can't figure out how to save it so that it shows the split time for each mile and keep it saved that way.

Assuming I understand your question, I can think of two options.

Display the splits manually--which you already know how to do--so you see them.

#1) Then copy & paste those into the notes area of the workout.

-- OR --

#2) Manually add laps, and put the splits into the new, manually created, laps.

I have used both techniques in the past (generally for quarter mile splits during a mile race, or something like that--although usually I got the splits not from the RA display, but from a piece of paper where someone jotted them down).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Sorry for the less than clear explanation of my issue but you have answered my question. Thank you! I will try that for the next run.

I figured something out about this.

I use a TomTom watch, which is set up to automatically upload runs to MapMyRun. I was taking the TCX file from MapMyRun (there's a "TCX" button on the MapMyRun profile page under each run which you can use to save the file). When I did it that way and then uploaded that file to Runningahead, it was not saving/showing the mile splits for me.

However, if I take the TCX file directly from my watch, mile splits are preserved on Runningahead. So MapMyRun must be stripping out some of the information from the TCX file.

Just wanted to share in case it helps other who have the same issue.