Hip popping, sore toenails, HR monitor (Read 1139 times)

dbrick8

Dee-termined!

Issue #1

Does anyone ever get a kink in their hip joint and can pop it to make it feel better?  Mine was really out of whack when I went to a chiropractor for help.  He told me running helps it stay in line.  I sit alot during the work day and imagine this doesn't help the situation.  I wonder if I pop it regularly is that helping or hurting.  Also I'd like to know how to prevent it.

Issue#2

My 2nd toe (beside big toe) always gets a little sore after I run at the tip.  It also seems to be causing the toenail to lift a little.  Any advice on how to prevent this so I can keep a nice pedicure for the summer?

Issue #3

I just got a new HR monitor with the band that you wear around your upper cage.  I wore it during my last 5k race and I swear I had trouble breathing because of it.  What is your avgerage HR at peak performance?

an amazing likeness

On #2 -- have you considered your socks might too tight and are pulling back on the toenail ?  That or the toe box of the shoe is tight enough that your toenail is hitting the front or top of the shoe.  Either way...or if something else, this is most often from something being too tight and pulling up on toenail.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

#1, no, hip never pops.  I don't have great hips, and I've recently begun going to get massages to help my hips and hamstrings.

#2. Are your shoes too short?  Buy 1/2 size larger.  I guess that depends whether you have Morton's toe or not.  When I started running, I went up at least 1/2 size to prevent toe pain.

(MTA: I have morton's toe, and so does my brother.... I chose to increase my shoe length beyond my longest toe.  He chose to squeeze his 1 long toe into the size of his other toes.  He now has a hammer toe, and can't run.  I can run, and have plenty of room between my toes and the front of my shoe.  My brother happens to have size 15 shoes as it is, so I can't blame him too much for not getting longer skiis).

#3. I wear a HR monitor frequently.  If you're new to it, you may need to get used to it.  It shouldn't restrict breathing (loosen it up).  Regarding maximum HR, I seldom run to my maximum HR, but I've seen the low 180s in the past.  I prefer the 130s through the mid 150s.  Much more enjoyable.  If you're new to running, make sure you enjoy it to ensure its a lifestyle change.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

hip pop you don't stop

vegefrog

hip pop you don't stop

Big grin I for real just laughed out loud.

#1:  If I stand with my legs spread a little bit and lean my torso to the left while sticking my right hip out to the side, something pops on the inside of my left leg, I assume where the hip flexor is. It feels like it needs to be done and sometimes I will stop and do it in the middle of a run. It's a quick pop and I too wonder if it's good or bad...I was always told not to crack my knuckles, but I do that and I also pop my neck a lot.

#3....Everyone's HR is different. I've seen 203 at the end of a 5k when I sprinted to the line. I was new to running and WAY out of shape. I've rarely seen 195 since then.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

BeeRunB

Issue #1

Does anyone ever get a kink in their hip joint and can pop it to make it feel better?  Mine was really out of whack when I went to a chiropractor for help.  He told me running helps it stay in line.  I sit alot during the work day and imagine this doesn't help the situation.  I wonder if I pop it regularly is that helping or hurting.  Also I'd like to know how to prevent it.

Issue#2

My 2nd toe (beside big toe) always gets a little sore after I run at the tip.  It also seems to be causing the toenail to lift a little.  Any advice on how to prevent this so I can keep a nice pedicure for the summer?

Issue #3

I just got a new HR monitor with the band that you wear around your upper cage.  I wore it during my last 5k race and I swear I had trouble breathing because of it.  What is your avgerage HR at peak performance?

I have a toe that pops.

Make sure your shoes have lots of room---I like Stu Mittleman's suggestion to keep on trying sizes until they seem ridiculously big, then come back a half size. 

On HR. I've worn the HRM a few times in races to gather data---not race by HR---and recorded an average of about 95% MHR for a 5k and about 86% MHR for a marathon. 

Cool

+1 on slightly bigger shoes

As for toe nail lifting and maintaining a pedicure... I tape my problem toes for a long run (over an hour). I put a bit over cotton ball over the polish and use the linen tape that uses for bandages around each -  usually numbers 2 and 3 on each side, keeps them seperated and there's no rubbing. A  bit of effort but no lifting or blisters.

A

Recalculating...