Why isn't there a thread for the Olympics yet? (Read 373 times)

sugnim

Is anyone else enjoying watching the winter Olympics?  I enjoy the summer games a little more, but I think that's because I can relate to the events more.  I know what it's like to run, swim, bike, jump, try to balance on something, etc.  But, I've never done any ice skating, snowboarding,  or curling (although I have used a broom on an icy driveway).  I'm still not convinced that ice dancing is a sport, but I've been loving the slopestyle snowboarding events and I'm looking forward to the speed skating races as well as some of the other events.

an amazing likeness

Let's say someone showed up for their figure skating event wearing athletic clothing rather than a sequined outfit, same skates and skated the same type/style of routine  -- the only change being not wearing a designed outfit and 3.2 pounds of makeup. Would their score be lower because of the clothing they chose to (not) wear?

Sincere question on my part, I don't see where they score in the outfit and look (there used to be something called "artistic merit", but that's no longer shown).

To me, the greatest part of the Winter Olympics overall is that small, cold countries like Norway get to kick butt and the seriously crazy sports -- like going downhill at 85 mph (did you hear the aero 'womp' as the downhillers went by the camera...yeow).  The worst part is all the skateboarding off ramps and other obstacles like it was some urban office park, and the counting of medals by country.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Not dead. Yet.

I get a kick out the cross country skiers collapsing once they cross the finish line.  Can you imagine a bunch of runners rolling around on the ground after a race?

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Yes thank goodness for the Olympics since it's been almost 8 days since a sporting event served as a cultural touchstone and allowed us a central vehicle to advertise products and services.

Sorry, cranky today.

Runners run

Can you imagine a bunch of runners rolling around on the ground after a race?

I don't have to imagine it--I've been to my share of girls cross country meets.

Runners run

Slo

I don't have to imagine it--I've been to my share of girls cross country meets.

I laughed...yes, there are no finishes better than girls cross country!

sugnim

Let's say someone showed up for their figure skating event wearing athletic clothing rather than a sequined outfit, same skates and skated the same type/style of routine  -- the only change being not wearing a designed outfit and 3.2 pounds of makeup. Would their score be lower because of the clothing they chose to (not) wear?

Sincere question on my part, I don't see where they score in the outfit and look (there used to be something called "artistic merit", but that's no longer shown).

To me, the greatest part of the Winter Olympics overall is that small, cold countries like Norway get to kick butt and the seriously crazy sports -- like going downhill at 85 mph (did you hear the aero 'womp' as the downhillers went by the camera...yeow).  The worst part is all the skateboarding off ramps and other obstacles like it was some urban office park, and the counting of medals by country.

I had the same question.  Also, with the couple skaters, it seems that they all have to tell a love story.  I was wondering if anyone had ever tried a comedy or horror story.

And, yes, those "WHOOSH!" sounds were awesome!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I've been enjoying them.  This year, more than before for some reason, I am keenly aware of the raw danger involved in these sports as opposed to the summer games.  I mean, as a complete amateur, if I could somehow con my way to the starting line in a track and field event, probably the worst that would happen would be extreme embarrassment, maybe a cleat-mark or two.  I'd be dead inside of five minutes if I jumped into a luge chute.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

L Train

sugnim wtf is growing out of the back of your head?

DaBurger

I am keenly aware of the raw danger involved in these sports...

Oh no, the stone's still sliding towards me, I can't get away!!! (first thought as I was reading this section)

Know thyself.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Oh no, the stone's still sliding towards me, I can't get away!!! (first thought as I was reading this section)

You kiddin' me?  That one's the most dangerous of all.  There's got to be some kind of repetitive motion injury that picks those athletes off like ticks after a limited amount of time.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

DaBurger

repetitive motion injury

The name you're looking for is 12oz curls.

Know thyself.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

sugnim wtf is growing out of the back of your head?

I laughed.

steph  

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My daughter is studying in Cadiz, Spain this semester.  She said that the Olympics are "not cool" in Spain, and no one is watching them!  The country is fielding a team of 20 athletes, though.  Kind of odd.  (The pleasant surprise for her has been that the high school kids there all adore America and Americans, so she is the center of attention.  She had thought that the rest of the world hated us!)

an amazing likeness

...She had thought that the rest of the world hated us!

They do. Some almost as much as we hate each other.

Oh..and Curling Rocks!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.