Mid-week medium runs or mix of long/short (Read 88 times)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I am getting to the 10M and half races of my series with the first 10-miler Oct 6th. I understand the utilization of the long 10-14 mile runs on the weekends so those are excluded from the discussion. For the mid-week runs, assuming the same total mileage, am I able to get more benefit from consistent medium distance runs or doing a long run mid-week follow by short recovery runs? Using 15 total miles over 3 days as example, should I run 5 tempo miles each of the 3 days or run a 9-mile long run followed by two days of 3-mile recovery runs? I just completed the 5k, 5M, and 10k races over the past 3 months so I want to focus more on endurance than speed now.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Christirei

Andy, if you are running 15 miles over three days during the week i might think about a seven mile easy aerobic run, a 4 mile harder effort (tempo type run maybe) and a four miles easy jog

I think mixing it up is a good way to go rather than just doing three five miles runs

I'd do one medium-long run (and make that the harder effort) and two short, easy runs. So between the 2 options I'd vote 9+3+3 but I'd probably do them as 3+9+3.

And for the 9 miler I'd mix it up between tempo, fartlek, progression runs. Something like 8 x 2 minutes "on" / 1 minute "off" in the middle of a 9-miler is goodness.

Way back when I was relatively new at this I saw the biggest improvement from prioritizing a mid-week medium-long run that was not a jog.

Runners run

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Yes, I was thinking I would get recommendations for the 2nd option of mixing it up with long and short. The Hal Higdon plans for half marathon mostly show 4-6 mile runs during the week to go along with the 10-12 mile runs on the weekend. This is what prompted my question.

Also, the 9+3+3 came from the assumption that I would have had a rest day or cross training the day prior so the two days of recovery runs would be to recover from the 8-10 mile run to be able to run long on the weekend. I have a 9-month old baby who frequently wakes up for the day at 4-5am so I keep my mid-week schedule very flexible. I sometimes will bring him with me in the stroller in the dark on a long run but with a headlamp and blinking clip lights for safety.

My long runs are never just long, consistently easy pace the entire time because I will get bored with that. On long runs, I normally will run 2-3 miles at easy pace, speed up to half marathon pace for 3-4 miles, and then easy pace with occasional brief walks to just complete the miles. I would do the mid-week long run as a tempo run anyway and I would also need to do a faster pace since I have to get ready for work.

Memphis / 38 male

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I ran 10 miles this morning and it felt really good. I had intended on only running 7-8 miles but I was still feeling energized once I hit 8 miles and did 2 more miles at a pretty fast pace. I had never run more that 8 miles in the morning before work so hopefully I won't crash this afternoon at my desk. I will definitely need a couple days of recovery runs or cross training before a long run this weekend.

Memphis / 38 male

berylrunner

Rick

From your description,  you are not running easy enough.   Mid week med to long runs are great to build the weekly mileage total but the tendency is to run them too fast.  I would run a workout Tuesday evening and then a medium long run Wednesday,  that would help me stay slow.  As for the long run on the weekend.  Keep it slow.   You have to deal with the boredom.   Although doing strides or brief pickups helps break it up.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

From your description,  you are not running easy enough.   Mid week med to long runs are great to build the weekly mileage total but the tendency is to run them too fast.  I would run a workout Tuesday evening and then a medium long run Wednesday,  that would help me stay slow.  As for the long run on the weekend.  Keep it slow.   You have to deal with the boredom.   Although doing strides or brief pickups helps break it up.

My overall pace for the 10 miles yesterday was 8:44 so I would say I was running easy most of the time given my target half marathon pace is about a minute faster. It wasn't until the last few miles where I picked up the pace to right at half pace only because I was feeling energized.

Memphis / 38 male

berylrunner

Rick

Hey, gotta run when you feel good.  Nothing wrong with that.  I was mainly referring to your idea of 3 tempo runs and injecting hm pace miles into your long run.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59