Love at first run? (Read 867 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Today I took a trip down to our closest full-service running store (Gazelle Sports) and tried on the Asics Gel Kayano, Saucony ProGrid Hurricane, Brook's Adrenaline, Nike Air Structure Triax...and I think there was one more, but I don't recall what it was. The guy who was helping me out (Chris--really friendly and knowledgeable) said that I am definitely in a good shoe for my needs, the NB 1222, but with my recent, chronic arch tenderness I thought it might be a good idea to try something a bit different. He watched me walk in my bare feet and said that I am a moderate pronator (he also looked at my arch before I stood up and said "you have good feet and an average arch." Then he had me stand and said "...wow, your arches really collapse when you stand, though." I think this has a lot to do with my outer arch pain). After trying on the above shoes I went with the Kayano. Of all the shoes it felt the most "natural" on my foot and most comfortable to walk in. Chris agreed that they conformed to my foot shape the best. I found that they were narrower through the rearfoot than my 1222s, which is nice--my feet are kinda duck-like...wide only through the forefoot. Chris also had me run for a few minutes on the treadmill and said that they are definitely keeping my pronation in check properly...BTW, I hate treadmills. I have never before run on one and I felt the entire time that I could fall off at any moment. Ick. So I just went on a 2.5 mile run. It was somewhat painful, but ALL of my runs in the past week have sucked, so I think it's probably more me than the shoes. I have a long run planned for tomorrow and I think I will wear the NBs for that--at least until I can do more shorter runs in the Kayanos. Speaking of, do most of you find that you know instantly if a shoe is going to work for you, or does it take a few runs of easy miles before you have a good idea of compatibility? I will say that the Kayanos felt a little weird at first...not bad, just sorta clumsy. But after a mile they didn't feel awkward, I just had shin pain...which I've been dealing with all week in 2 different NB shoes, including my beloved 1222s. I think my legs are just whack at the moment from having used heel lifts for the past week (which made my arches feel less strained, but seemed to send the strain up into my shins). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

PWL

Has been

Most of the sneakers that I've had I have known that they were pretty good within a couple of runs. Generally, within the first couple of miles. If my foot is not being supported correctly, my knees will most likely tell me after a couple of miles on the road. Sometimes I can't tell until the next day--if my knees hurt worse than normal the day after the first run, I know they are not for me. But for me, it is generally a very quick thing. By the way--I'm a big fan of Saucony--I'm running in the Saucony ProGrid Triumph currently. The Hurricane is a good choice! Big grin

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think the Saucony was probably my second choice...or maybe it was the Brooks (all the damned shoes were white and blue, so it got hard to discern between brands/models). If I do have to return these I will probably want to try those two on again and have another jog on the TM. My biggest problem is that I can run several longer runs in a shoe before it starts giving me fits. I think my body is weird. I had one amazing run in my 857s, then the next was really painful. It's a little on the too stable side for me, but I had several good runs in the shoe before my shins revolted. One more reason I like to rotate different models. k

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

when i got my new asics cumulus 9 after wearing 8s, they didn't have 4e so i had to get 2e...it felt tight in the forefoot but i wanted to try it out so i got half a size bigger..first few runs were really funky...but now it feels really nice...maybe my super wide feet stretched it out..
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...maybe my super wide feet stretched it out..
            Super-wide feets unite! Big grin Oh, that was another weird thing...I think the Brooks was a wide and the Asics also a wide, but they were no wider in feel than the Nike or Saucony...and all were still narrower than my NB shoes out of the box--and I've worn 4 different size 8D NB shoes. Now that I think about it, I think it was the Brooks that was my second choice. I think it was the Saucony that felt the narrowest of the bunch. k

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

aww, that's so cute- you've already taken them out for a test run! Smile ::heart:: I hope whatever is causing your leg/foot pains subsides soon!
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

aww, that's so cute- you've already taken them out for a test run! Smile ::heart:: I hope whatever is causing your leg/foot pains subsides soon!
                Thanks--I hope so, too. Amazing how fixing one problem can bring on a whole host of other problems. Gah. Speaking of test run, I think you should tell the class about your new foorwear! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

Thanks--I hope so, too. Amazing how fixing one problem can bring on a whole host of other problems. Gah. Speaking of test run, I think you should tell the class about your new foorwear! Big grin k
                  *taps microphone* hi, my name is Andrea and i bought my first pair of real running shoes today...
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*taps microphone* hi, my name is Andrea and i bought my first pair of real running shoes today...
                    Hi, Andrea! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Andrea, what did you end up getting?
                      shyrunner07

i picked up a pair of New Balance 882s (i think that's the model #...they are white & cranberry, with some spiffy reflective trim...I guess so my cats can see me running in the dark here at home? Tongue). They feel really cushy. Kinda bummed though that i just have boring "neutral" feet. Hmmph! I wanna be a pronator or something fun like that too! At least the girl did say I have "high volume" feet...I wonder if that's a really cute way of saying i have fat flintstone feet! Big grin
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wonder if that's a really cute way of saying i have fat flintstone feet! Big grin
                          Hey, you could have duck feet! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

i like ducks Smile
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

AFLAC! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

AFLAC! Tongue k
                                Does that stand for "Americans For Loving and Cuddling", or cunni..can't spellit. Wink

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka