Adidas Supernova+ : Faulty Shoe design? (Read 53 times)

Man in Tights

I bought a pair of Adidas supernova+ wanting to experience the full foam sole.  I usually buy UK size 8. It seemed quite comfortable and snug in the shop. I tried it the very next day for a longish 18K run. In the beginning I enjoyed the response from  but as I got deeper in to the run my right toe (not my left) stated getting more and more compressed. Soon it became unbearable. I could hardly put any weight on the front of my right foot without feeling horrible. So I stopped and re-laced hoping that would it ease the pressure on the toes. That didn't help either and soon my pace slowed to a hobble. I stopped again and removed in the sole liners to create a more space. This did help as the piercing pain on the toe eased. I finished my miserable run and got home to inspect my toes. To my shock the right big toe nail was an angry purple due to congealed blood. My left foot and toe was absolutely normal which is what I couldn't fathom. My feet are of the same size. On closer examination of construction the shoe I noticed that the foam sole protrudes quite a bit at the back of the shoe, which seems to be a trend nowadays. Also the back wall tapers quite sharply inwards pushing the toes into the front wall more than other shoes do. Perhaps as I ran along the right toes got more banged that the left for whatever. Anyway to cut a long story short after a couple of months the big toenail is loose and all ready to come off the toe something I'm not particularly looking forward to. I wrote to Adidas about this but have got no satisfactory answer until now.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this with their shoes Adidas or any other brand

I'm not certain, but I believe the Supernova line has degraded into an "athleisure" shoe that is not intended for much actual running.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Do you always wear your shoes snug? Runners' feet do swell during a long run and, a shoe that is snug to start, is likely to give you problems on a long run. Usually it's a good idea to do a few shorter runs in a new shoe rather than starting with a long run.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Man in Tights

Yes i do like my shoes snug because of road conditions. That could explain it thought. However why only the right foot is a mystery to me.

Man in Tights

Here's a review from another user from the Adidas US site. It points to an issue with the sizing.

"Great quality, they look amazing, but a little to small! I wear an 11.5 but for some reason these SuperNova 2's are a bit small. I would recommend getting a half size (.5) larger. I am just saying"

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yes i do like my shoes snug because of road conditions. That could explain it thought. However why only the right foot is a mystery to me.

Your right foot is likely your bigger foot. Majority of people have one foot that is slightly bigger, not necessarily enough to be a different size, but just not identical.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Man in Tights

Perhaps. I checked the reviews for this shoe on adidas' website. Many have the same complaint that it's much too tight. So there is an issue with this particular design. I should have checked before buying. I have run with adidas shoes for many years and have never had a problem.

lianass

spam