running in snow/100 mile months (Read 165 times)

rare opportunity to run in the snow here in Seattle area.  today's run put me over 100 miles for the month.  54th consecutive,  since July 2009.  still not very fast though

Wandering Wally

Way to go!

I find snow slows me down something fierce.  I will lose 1-2 minutes per mile depending on the depth and texture of the snow.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I find snow slows me down something fierce.  I will lose 1-2 minutes per mile depending on the depth and texture of the snow.

But I don't care.  I enjoy it.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Congratulations on your month!  It takes some dedication to keep up your running when conditions deteriorate.  I like to imagine all the fair weather runners taking it easy and losing fitness, while I am working hard and am ready to kick some tail come springtime. Smile

Leah, mother of dogs

Wandering Wally

But I don't care.  I enjoy it.

Me too.  Far preferable to running through clouds of mosquitoes or deer flies.

Run!  Just Run!

Congratulations on your month!  It takes some dedication to keep up your running when conditions deteriorate.  I like to imagine all the fair weather runners taking it easy and losing fitness, while I am working hard and am ready to kick some tail come springtime. Smile

that would be the plan pending any unforseen injuries or other life stuff.  also waiting until feb/march tp pick it back up leaves a big shortage of time to train for any races, goal races or nongoal races.  I just like to run for the enjoyment of it too

Latent Runner

Me too.  Far preferable to running through clouds of mosquitoes or deer flies.

I don't know about that; I find that when I'm running in the snow I miss my mid-run protein snack of flies and mosquitoes. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

We had a series of races (5k, HM, Marathon) today in mashed potato snow. We would have loved to have only lost 1-2 min/mi. Wink  Marathoners - even the fast, experienced ones - were about 2 hrs slower than normal, and HM about 1 hr slower. When I say "normal", that's a hilly race. This was flat over frozen lakes, swamps, and some upland trails.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  SillyC

I don't know about that; I find that when I'm running in the snow I miss my mid-run protein snack of flies and mosquitoes. 

HAHAHA!

I have bailed on more long runs because of deerflies than I have because of cold or snowy conditions.

Latent Runner

HAHAHA!

I have bailed on more long runs because of deerflies than I have because of cold or snowy conditions.

Yup, me too; having cold/wet/soggy feet is nothing compared to having deerflies in your mouth, in both ears, in both eyes, and up your nose all at the same time.

Fat old man PRs:

an amazing likeness

Deer flies are the worst. They will harass for miles on end. Perhaps this might help -- add a red solo cup to the top of your head...one runner's deer fly experiment.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Latent Runner

I cheat; I wear the "Headnet" version of the Bug Baffler: http://bugbaffler.com/products.htm

Fat old man PRs:

SillyC

I cheat; I wear the "Headnet" version of the Bug Baffler: http://bugbaffler.com/products.htm

Thanks!  I'm going to get one of these!

Wandering Wally

We had a series of races (5k, HM, Marathon) today in mashed potato snow. We would have loved to have only lost 1-2 min/mi. Wink  Marathoners - even the fast, experienced ones - were about 2 hrs slower than normal, and HM about 1 hr slower. When I say "normal", that's a hilly race. This was flat over frozen lakes, swamps, and some upland trails.

Yeah, the last few days the snow here has been the consistency of fine beach sand.  More trudging than running.  Pace?  Forget it.  I'm just trying to keep moving.  I'm looking forward to a little colder temps to firm things back up.

Run!  Just Run!

Latent Runner

Thanks!  I'm going to get one of these!

I got two; never know when you might have a friend who wants to join you on the trail.  Smile

Fat old man PRs: