Average 400 meter time for adult (Read 506 times)

Teddy Lo

Hi Everyone,

I just started running 400 meters and usually finish around 1:35 seconds. I am 38 years old and never ran track or run in any type of event.

I do keep myself in shape by doing multiple types of workouts.

Question: Is this time good for someone my age and with no experience in track ?

Walk-Jogger

Hi Everyone,

I just started running 400 meters and usually finish around 1:35 seconds. I am 38 years old and never ran track or run in any type of event.

I do keep myself in shape by doing multiple types of workouts.

Question: Is this time good for someone my age and with no experience in track ?

If you enter your 400 meter time into an age-grading calculator it scores you at 47.9 %. Is that time for one all-out 400 meter run, or is that your pace for running several 400 meter repeats? Can you run a full mile or more without stopping? Your time is a good starting point for someone with no running experience, and you can probably get a lot faster if you want to train for it.

Retired &  Loving It

Teddy Lo

@ Cecil58

Yes that is my fastest run time. I can run a mile or more, but I am not experienced at that either.

I rather stick with 400m,100m, and 60m.  I also play basketball, swim, run on a elliptical, etc.

How do I get that calculator for results ?

Walk-Jogger

Here's a link to one: Age Graded Calculator 

Retired &  Loving It

Teddy Lo

Thank you Cecil

Teddy Lo

I just reached 1:28 seconds. Age Calculator had it at 51.7 %

Once the weather gets warmer, maybe I can get faster.

The age grade percentage is a calculation of a time relative to the world's best a given age for whatever distance. So a 50% does not mean 50th percentile like in a SAT score.

Average for a male under 40 might be 70 to 80 seconds for 400 m.

Netizen Kane

Average for a male under 40 might be 70 to 80 seconds for 400 m.

70-80secs is nice going. Plenty of runners would be happy with that. And a lot of guys couldn't even run 400m. An average, my guess, say 2mins.

I guess it all depends, going back to the issues of potential and fitness. Probably a good 30 to 50 percent of the adult population can't even run 400 m non stop. So how about narrowing the pool to healthy college age males, able to participate in a fitness class that includes some running. The average mean plus 1 standard deviation would still be in that range at the faster end maybe 70 to 90 or 100 sec. This might require some prior training but not like a track team.

Walk-Jogger

Teddy, I always find I run faster in warmer weather, especially on the track. For  400, I'm comfortable even up to 90F, as long as the humidity isn't too high. What temps are you running in right now? You'll most likely keep getting faster at your 400 if you keep working at it and if you've been training on the outdoor track in cold weather.

Retired &  Loving It

Teddy Lo

Cecil,

Currently I am running when the weather is about 42 to 52 degrees. It has been a cold winter where I live. I have comfortable track shoes, along with the appropriate clothing. Right now, the outdoor track gets real windy, so that can have a disadavantage towards my time or can be an advantage depends which direction I run.

I have to be honest, I can exhausted once I pass 320 meters into the run.  Maybe eating more before my sprint can provide the essential energy that  I need ?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have to be honest, I can exhausted once I pass 320 meters into the run.

I think this is natural to the 400m race.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I ran track in high school and was a okay 440y runner. If you never ran track and have no real experience at that distance, I think a little specific training would make a big difference.

I think this is natural to the 400m race.

I like Bill Cosbey's description, comparing it to rigamortis.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Teddy Lo

It is a tough run, especially someone new like me. I actually do plyometrics, run on a elliptical,  swim, lift weights, play basketball.

Flexibililty type of exercises help too