2020 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 408 times)

Very cool that you included that on the pint glasses.

I've been meaning to read more about Billy Mills...  I went on Amazon to see if the movie was available.  If you have a copy of the DVD, it's selling for $40-$80!

You can find it on youtube for free! The movie is good but cheesy. It features early 80's cinematography, bad dramatic music and has a bit of an ABC's After School Special feel to it.

There was a good interview with Billy on WBUR a couple of weeks ago. I always love hearing his voice. It's somehow so comforting. He's an actual hero.

Runners run

Julia1971

You can find it on youtube for free! The movie is good but cheesy. It features early 80's cinematography, bad dramatic music and has a bit of an ABC's After School Special feel to it.

There was a good interview with Billy on WBUR a couple of weeks ago. I always love hearing his voice. It's somehow so comforting. He's an actual hero.

That sounds like my kinda movie.  Thanks!  I'll check both of those out.

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-marathon-2/2020/06/07/8-runners-react-to-the-boston-marathon-cancellation

Interesting article with multiple reactions about canceling 2021. Charity runners aren't getting bibs to 2021 apparently. Really sucks if they had to make up any lack of funding to their commitment. I assume the charity runners will be fewer in 2021 to make up for the number of applications of qualified times from 2018-2019. I could only imagine the outrage if the 124th Boston Marathon required a BQ-4:53 and COVID 19 was blamed.

$27 MILLION dollars is a LOT of money.

Modification: I guess I should make my BAA Account so I know when to register. Maybe they'll reuse the jackets from "this year's race" for the 124th because I kind of liked them a lot.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

I could only imagine the outrage if the 124th Boston Marathon required a BQ-4:53 and COVID 19 was blamed.

Brew, I heard based on preliminary estimates the qualifying time for AG 35-40 will be 2:58:49... 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew, I heard based on preliminary estimates the qualifying time for AG 35-40 will be 2:58:49... 

It honestly wouldn't shock me. That's over a minute faster than my own PR. Too many OLD FARTS beating their time by an hour or more just waltz right into the race and take up all the good spots. BAA could do TWO marathons in the time it takes those old fogies to finish the parade.

Screw it New York is better anyways. I have a larger chance of seeing Central Park and my "less than imaginary" friends than at Boston. I think they even have a GUARANTEED entry.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It honestly wouldn't shock me. That's over a minute faster than my own PR. Too many OLD FARTS beating their time by an hour or more just waltz right into the race and take up all the good spots. BAA could do TWO marathons in the time it takes those old fogies to finish the parade.

Old privilege. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Anonymous Guest

Screw it New York is better anyways. I have a larger chance of seeing Central Park and my "less than imaginary" friends than at Boston. I think they even have a GUARANTEED entry.

NY filled their time qualifier entries in something like 1/2 hour this year. And the qualifying time for 35-39 males was 2:55, so I don't know if that's the answer here.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

CalBears

Wow... I just exceeded my expectations. I am an old fart but I think I will be in a bar drinking my second beer by the moment you finish YOUR parade in Boston (if you are lucky, of course - because you cannot beat your qualifying time safely enough to feel confident you are in ).

Guaranteed entry to NYC marathon? I thought you knew that already - there is no such thing. Actually, there is but - it's like in Boston - raise $3K and you are in. Or - participate in 9 NYRR qualifying races plus volunteer in one of the NYRR events and you are in (though I am not sure because they might to have a limit too Smile. Oh, yeah - and be a member of NYRR that year.

Right - qualifying times... Yes - limited number of entries, first come first served - rat's race  - somebody mentioned less than 30 minutes window opportunity?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

So I just got the email to request a refund.  Since there's no deferral option and the virtual race is free and a separate registration, requesting a refund is really the only option after the Sept. reschedule was canceled.  If that's the case, why do we even have to request a refund?  Are they maybe hoping some people just decide to let the BAA keep their entry money or something?  At least the process itself is very easy - just a few clicks and done!

Are they maybe hoping some people just decide to let the BAA keep their entry money or something?

I can't think of any other reason. Just did the 3-click refund request too.

Runners run

Julia1971

So I just got the email to request a refund.  Since there's no deferral option and the virtual race is free and a separate registration, requesting a refund is really the only option after the Sept. reschedule was canceled.  If that's the case, why do we even have to request a refund?  Are they maybe hoping some people just decide to let the BAA keep their entry money or something?  At least the process itself is very easy - just a few clicks and done!

I'm wondering the same thing.  I mean, I guess the BAA a charitable organization.  Maybe if I don't take it I can write it off on my taxes or something...

I mean, I guess the BAA a charitable organization.  Maybe if I don't take it I can write it off on my taxes or something...

I'm no cpa but I don't think the fact that they are a nonprofit makes them a charity, and I know that things like race registrations are expressly not tax deductible. I would think they would need to give you the option of making a charitable donation in lieu of a refund to make it tax deductable.

Runners run

Resident Historian

Quote from Brewing Runner on 6/10/2020 at 9:31 AM:

It honestly wouldn't shock me. That's over a minute faster than my own PR. Too many OLD FARTS beating their time by an hour or more just waltz right into the race and take up all the good spots. BAA could do TWO marathons in the time it takes those old fogies to finish the parade.

Old privilege. 

Have some cheese with that whine?

Qualifying time for Mikkey and Cal group, age-graded, is 2:58. For a 38 y.o. the qualifying time age-graded, is 3:03. 
                            But I have it "easy", my qualifying time age-grades to 3:04.

You're right though, there is one person here (that I know of) who could qualify by an hour or more. That one's def gonna push the cutoff to one second faster than your BQ!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Running Problem

Problem Child

VDOT 53.37 

Resident Historian

I'm no cpa but I don't think the fact that they are a nonprofit makes them a charity, and I know that things like race registrations are expressly not tax deductible. I would think they would need to give you the option of making a charitable donation in lieu of a refund to make it tax deductable.

The BAA is a 501-(c)-(3), defined as "Organizations for any of the following purposes: ...[various]... or fostering national or international amateur sports competition (as long as it doesn’t provide athletic facilities or equipment), or..." (I kept the relevant part in qthe quote from Pro-Publica)

Donations
                                 to the BAA are tax-deductible; this would be a donation, but would be best to confirm with the BAA that they treat it as such. 

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson