The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

At least he acknowledges mistakes. And has presidential hair, unlike DJ Trump and Joe Mondull; I mean Biden. He'll be a fine president when the time comes. The photo ops will all look great. Also to keep this relevant, CV19 plague will be over by that time.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Running Problem

Problem Child

At least he acknowledges mistakes. And has presidential hair, unlike DJ Trump and Joe Mondull; I mean Biden. He'll be a fine president when the time comes. The photo ops will all look great. Also to keep this relevant, CV19 plague will be over by that time.

HA! He acknowledged it when he was called out, and when photos came out showing he was NOT telling the truth he has no comment.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

but the hair....

Running Problem

Problem Child

but the hair....

I referenced his hair today and my stylist said "who?" ugh...I thought Californians were supposed to be ruining every state in the Nation. I guess I found the ONE they're NOT ruining. New goal 2020. Ruin the state as a "former" Californian.

EDIT:

https://www.ktvn.com/story/42939661/california-imposes-overnight-curfew-to-curb-coronavirus

Another layer for California. COVID 19 Curfew to stop the spread. Maybe masks, distancing, lockdown, AND a curfew will stop the spread. Maybe the 3% mortality rate for the 3% of the population testing positive for COVID 19 shouldn't be the concern and the OPPOSITE of what we're doing could be tested out. No masks, no limit, no curfews, no lines, no social distancing and just go out into public as if 96% of the population is healthy and not going to be killed by the virus.

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA that's crazy talk.  0.0004% of the population has died with a positive COVID 19 test. Society needs to do MORE to stop the pandemic and this deadly virus that sleeps from 10pm until 5am and can be found in bars, churches, gyms, and parks.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA that's crazy talk.  0.0004% of the population has died with a positive COVID 19 test. Society needs to do MORE to stop the pandemic and this deadly virus that sleeps from 10pm until 5am and can be found in bars, churches, gyms, and parks.

And roughly 2.2% of those who test positive have died from it.  That doesn't even take into consideration the sometimes weeks long hospital stays for some or the long term lingering aftereffects others experience.  Trying to minimize its seriousness with talk of only 0.0004% of the population dying from COVID 19 does nothing to mitigate the pandemic and may exacerbate it.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

One of the issues with the high infection rate, it means that a lot of people will catch it, and a percentage of them will require hospitalization. It may be a small percentage (not as small as the partisan spinners and deniers say, fer sure), but 2-3% of 10,000 people is 200-300.Ok, fine, if it were spread out over a period of time. But it's not, they get sick about the same time, overwhelming the hospitals who cannot handle 200-300 new multi-day stay patients in a week's span. This can and does result in people WITHOUT CV19 who need hospitalization finding that there is no room for them, and/or a lack of resources.

But that's ok, cuz 97-98% won't need hospitalization, and of the 2-3% that do, only 7-8% will die (down from 25% in March). Percentages sound better than raw numbers, so let's use those and minimize the apparent severity of the situation. Especially if it will make our political "side" look better. Gotta remember what's important: scoring partisan points in any way possible.

resources:

https://nyulangone.org/news/study-helps-explain-declines-death-rates-covid-19

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-hospitalizations

Eventually most of the Republican led states will realize their situation and actually try to prevent death.

The North Dakota governor finally relented to a mask mandate. Of course this was not in time to prevent 1 in every 1,000 people in North Dakota from pushing up daisy's, but I guess better late than never. Iowa is coming around as well.

That one in South Dakota though... I'm not sure she will do anything because she wants to be the conservative "rock star" to replace Sarah Palin. So if old people have to die, then they must be sacrificed at that alter.

I still think it's BIZARRE that a virus outbreak, no; pandemic, somehow got pulled into the partisan blood feud.

There are still people denying it even exists, because they live in a partisan echochamber and are good little Eichmanns, doing what they're told do, saying what they're told to say. Same for the other "side", the extremists on that "side" are calling for permanent changes to unrelated issues because of a temporary situation. At least they're erring on the side of caution regarding the here and now.

The people stoking the flames of the partisan blood feud by manipulating gullible, trusting people should be tarred and feathered.

dhuffman63

Trails

Doug...she's an evil crone who deserves karma to visit and sentence her to the 7th circle of hell.  As well as OK's Gov. Shitt.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Eventually most of the Republican led states will realize their situation and actually try to prevent death.

The North Dakota governor finally relented to a mask mandate. Of course this was not in time to prevent 1 in every 1,000 people in North Dakota from pushing up daisy's, but I guess better late than never. Iowa is coming around as well.

That one in South Dakota though... I'm not sure she will do anything because she wants to be the conservative "rock star" to replace Sarah Palin. So if old people have to die, then they must be sacrificed at that alter.

I don't think it's a partisan thing at this state. A buddy tried to tell me how "states that voted for Donald Trump are seeing an increase in COVID 19 cases" and I then pointed out how our county went blue, he was the one saying how deadly it is in April, and has two or three contacts with positive tests so he was tested. I think eventually PEOPLE will decide it's important to them to wear a mask, or they'll just get over the whole mask/vaccine thing and look at the data.

https://www.health.nd.gov/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/north-dakota-coronavirus-cases

1 in every 1,000 is pretty significant.

818 dead from COVID 19 out of about 800,000 for the entire population. 70,000 positive tests. 818 dead. 1.16% of the 8.75% of the population who test positive for COVID 19 die. 0.01% of the entire population of the state has died. 99.99% of the population is healthy. Why is this significant or even worth putting in the news? Why does the news not say "99 point nine 9 percent of the entire state of North Dakota is safe from COVID 19." ?

Oregon comparison by county

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/oregon-covid-map-positive-test-rate-counties/283-673e151a-07d4-4055-809f-27b01599f873

https://govstatus.egov.com/OR-OHA-COVID-19

Oregon is at 12.5% positive rate. Somehow it's not making national news yet it is HIGHTER than North Dakota.

https://www.oregon.gov/oha/PH/DISEASESCONDITIONS/DISEASESAZ/Emerging%20Respitory%20Infections/Weekly-COVID-19-Report.pdf

Weekly health report. 57,646 total cases. 1360.7/100,000. Soooo.....13.607/1,000 or am I doing the math wrong? 1.3% fatality. 4.3 million people. 57,646 positive. less than 800 dead from it. 0.0186% of the population dead from COVID 19 in Oregon.

Don't forget that hospitals don't make any money by being empty. Much like a hotel they WANT to be at a higher capacity.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Don't forget that hospitals don't make any money by being empty. Much like a hotel they WANT to be at a higher capacity.

I do think it's worth noting - hospitals aren't necessarily making a lot of money off of Covid patients.  Covid is hitting those of lower incomes disproportionately, and they may be underinsured or non-insured.  But are treated anyways.

Meanwhile, people are afraid to go into hospitals for other reasons, including elective surgeries, and so those sources of revenue are drying up.

The pandemic has been a big financial blow to many doctors outside of hospitals as well.  My father (a doctor) was telling me he thought this might be the end of small medical practices, which aren't able to weather a storm like this.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/covid-19-is-ruining-hospitals-financially-heres-why

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I do think it's worth noting - hospitals aren't necessarily making a lot of money off of Covid patients.  Covid is hitting those of lower incomes disproportionately, and they may be underinsured or non-insured.  But are treated anyways.

Meanwhile, people are afraid to go into hospitals for other reasons, including elective surgeries, and so those sources of revenue are drying up.

The pandemic has been a big financial blow to many doctors outside of hospitals as well.  My father (a doctor) was telling me he thought this might be the end of small medical practices, which aren't able to weather a storm like this.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/covid-19-is-ruining-hospitals-financially-heres-why

I say it mostly because the news won't stop hammering the capacity and the phrase "overwhelm our healthcare" is annoying when you know hospitals are designed to be filled close to capacity. Outpatient services were ordered to stop due to COVID 19 all over when COVID 19 hit so fear and directives make it hard to run a business. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/01/opinions/confusing-outpatient-covid-19-guidelines-vanier/index.html

I do personally think it's going to be a financial burden for the next 3 years. Locally and nationally. Some states more than others due to their method of funding operations.

VDOT 53.37 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I say it mostly because the news won't stop hammering the capacity and the phrase "overwhelm our healthcare" is annoying when you know hospitals are designed to be filled close to capacity.

Capacity isn't just about brick-and-mortar space. There's a desperate shortage of care workers -- in large part because a severe # of staff are themselves ill and/or quarantined.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Half Crazy K 2.0

Capacity isn't just about brick-and-mortar space. There's a desperate shortage of care workers -- in large part because a severe # of staff are themselves ill and/or quarantined.

This. Was looking for an article that talked about shortages.

Running Problem

Problem Child

There has ALWAYS been a shortage of care workers. It's not a profession many people want to get into. In large part because the public sucks to deal with.

Hospitals converting parking spaces to beds back in March was great and went unused. Cities turning convention centers into holding places for those with the virus was great and also went unused. Mostly because the requirements are to quarantine AT HOME and NOT at the hospital. If there is a greater than 90% chance an individual will recover from the virus and they're required to quarantine at home HOW could we POSSIBLY overwhelm the medical services in an area? I just don't understand it. Maybe if it was deadly and required you be on a respirator under close medical attention for 2 weeks I could see how it's dangerous. When the medical professionals say "quarantine at home for 2 weeks" I can't see how it adds up to an overwhelmed hospital currently sitting at 60% capacity. None of this is to say it's a scam or anything. I just hate hearing it over and over when it's simply NOT true or possible with the current protocols for quarantining when you test positive for COVID 19.

half so 75% have enough staff? I know one nurse who recently QUIT the hospital because of the number of babies that died there (not due to covid). I wonder if those shortages have to do with patient staffing. Oh look....North Dakota was short staffed. I'm not looking forward to going to the hospital in February and it's required. I plan on staying in the room, wearing a mask, and getting out of there as son as possible. I'm the "hospitals are where you go to die" type of person who just doesn't like being in one. I was in one enough as a child to know they're safe. I just don't like being there.

EDIT:

and then there is this guy.

VDOT 53.37