Orthotic Friendly Shoes - Any recommendations? (Read 854 times)

Finished!

My Mizunos apparentlyh cause my orthotic devices to cant at an angle - they don't lay flat because the midfoot portion of the shoe is (apparently) fairly narrow, causing the arch of the orthotic device to lift. Turns out this is causing some other foot problems. Anyone here have any brands & models that they recommend? I've heard Brooks may work better, and I'll be certain to go have my feet fitted with the new orthotics at a proper running store with foot strike analysis (I learned that lesson early on when I first started running) *sigh* damned princess feet. TIA for any suggestions!
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
    JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

New Balance. I run with the New Balance 1061 and 1060 and they accommodate orthotics pretty well.
      Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Hi I've used podiatrist made full-length orthotics (to combat tendinitis) in the ASICS 2xxx series (2080, 2090, 2100, 2110, 2120) for several years and they work fine. Neil UK Smile

Running ... just keep running!

New Balance. I run with the New Balance 1061 and they accommodate orthotics pretty well.
          Ditto!....so far anyway! Just started using them with orthotics, but so far they've worked out alright!

Now that was a bath...

I'm running with mine in Brooks Glycerin 5 and they fit well but it's only early days for me. I had them fitted in a professional running store and it was neat to see the difference the orthotics could make on video. I feel your pain (literally) and I wish you happy healing. May your solution be just around the corner! Claire xxx
          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
              they don't lay flat because the midfoot portion of the shoe is (apparently) fairly narrow, causing the arch of the orthotic device to lift. Turns out this is causing some other foot problems.
              Just for clarification - make sure you took the existing in-sole out of the shoe.. it makes a BIG difference. Smile

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Finished!

Just for clarification - make sure you took the existing in-sole out of the shoe.. it makes a BIG difference. Smile
                LOL - I've been wearing orthotics for years, had to have a new more rigid pair made for running because the other ones are too flexible for running purposes (or so goes the theory) For 3/4 length ones, depending on the shoe, I can get away with leaving the existing insole (these are shoes that have a rather flat insole to begin with) - for full length ones, I *always* take the insole out Big grin In the case of the Mizunos, the midfoot of the last was likely quite narrow, resulting in the shoe being made the way it is. I tried a pair of Rykas, and while my toes didn't go numb, I had some mild midfoot pain - I suspect that shoe may not be quite wide enough either. The best fit I had out of ALL the shoes I currently have at my disposal are in a pair of Keen Boulders - but they aren't (supposed to be) for running...
                Walk + Jog = wog.

Finished!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions - New Balance, Brooks and Asics Smile I do believe the podiatrist mentioned each of those Smile I'm going to go a few more rounds with the Rykas and see if they "work" or not, otherwise it looks like I may have to make my way to a specialty running shop. I hate shopping for shoes almost as much as I hate shopping for pants. My husband, lucky man, has really non-fussy feet. If ever there is a model of someone who doesn't believe in retiring ones shoes due to mileage, it's him. I swear, his shoes are falling apart. meanwhile, mine still look (and are in some cases!) brand new and I'm having to retire them!
                  Walk + Jog = wog.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My husband, lucky man, has really non-fussy feet. If ever there is a model of someone who doesn't believe in retiring ones shoes due to mileage, it's him. I swear, his shoes are falling apart. meanwhile, mine still look (and are in some cases!) brand new and I'm having to retire them!
                    I saw a guy at a race last Summer who was wearing shoes with almost no outsole remaining...I couldn't believe it. Like you I have retired shoes that look almost new. I really need to find a charity to give these to. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay