PR's - rules for claiming or stating a PR? (Read 1382 times)

My PR in a 5k is 27:00 +/- 20 seconds, but I've only run 1 or 2 5k's over the years...

I've run 3 miles in under 20:00 while training, and I know that I'd run a 5k faster than 27:00 if I entered a race.

What are the "rules" with  claiming or stating a PR?

Can I use a segment of a marathon to claim a PR in a shorter distance (ie. 10k, 1/2 marathon) if officially noted by the official timers in a BQ race?

Can I use GPS hand-held results to claim a PR?

Can I use a 'mapmyrun.com' result to claim a PR?

Just curious what people feel and how people use the term "PR".
    (Of course, it doesn't matter, as we're all racing against ourselves and testing ourselves)

Cheers,
    Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Prince of Fatness

Instead of making your brain bleed with all of that thinking why don't you sign up for and race a 5K?  Should be some around even this time of year.

Not at it at all. 

I limit what I call a PR to only race efforts.  So the mapmyrun and GPS stuff doesn't cut it with me.  As for intermediate splits in longer races, I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with the measurement being accurate.  I'm not aware that splits are certified, although I don't think they're way off.  Then again, lots of races are run on uncertified courses.  On the track, I'd take intermediate splits, though, as I know they're dead-on.

If I did take a split as a PR, it'd only be a split that started at the START line (as opposed to, say, the 10k between the 5k mark and the finish line of a 15k race).  No flying starts.

YMMV, of course.

MTA: and what the spud said.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

rlemert

The "rules" are pretty much whatever you're comfortable with.

Personally, any PR set as an official chip time for a race at a specific distance counts. Beyond that, it starts getting hazy.

I'm generally inclined to accept PRs set for official splits in a race at a longer distance (e.g. 10k splits in a half-marathon), but only if I'm fairly confident the splits were measured as accurately as the total race distance. (Our local marathon this last weekend, for example, had the full marathon, the half-marathon, and a 10k all run on the same course up to the certified 10k finish, so I'd count a 10k PR here.)

Beyond these two conditions, I'm likely just to claim a "personal best" - as in "well, I've run an unofficial 5k in 12:45, but my official PR in the event is 32:28).

The "rules" are pretty much whatever you're comfortable with.

Personally, any PR set as an official chip time for a race at a specific distance counts. Beyond that, it starts getting hazy.

I'm generally inclined to accept PRs set for official splits in a race at a longer distance (e.g. 10k splits in a half-marathon), but only if I'm fairly confident the splits were measured as accurately as the total race distance. (Our local marathon this last weekend, for example, had the full marathon, the half-marathon, and a 10k all run on the same course up to the certified 10k finish, so I'd count a 10k PR here.)

Beyond these two conditions, I'm likely just to claim a "personal best" - as in "well, I've run an unofficial 5k in 12:45, but my official PR in the event is 32:28).

I dont agree with the official chip time, as many 5ks aren't chip timed

As long as the garmin is close

why don't you sign up for and race a 5K? 

... because I might finish the race slower than what I want to claim I could finish it in based on a training runs I've done.  I don't want an official time that's too slow Smile

Oh, and on a side note, I did a "5K" race while on vacation this summer that took 26:06... I forgot about that race... The problem was that it was 3.59 miles on my Garmin.

So, a secondary question would be... what if the distance isn't correct (too short), and you know it based on GPS or mapmyrun or.... 

Would you still claim it to be a PR for what the race was advertised as?

MTA: and yes, I understand that the race I'm referencing had the opposite problem...

Life Goals:

kcam

They are called PERSONAL Records.  Whatever you decide is OK by you.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

... because I might finish the race slower than what I want to claim I could finish it in based on a training runs I've done.  I don't want an official time that's too slow Smile

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

It's a race. Run faster.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

It's a race. Run faster.

Running is a humbling sport...

BTW, I like the Flying Monkey text on your website...

"We will time and measure the distance, but the course will not be certified, we will not use timing chips, and it will not be a Boston qualifying event. If you get to the end and you (or your gadget) believe the route to be long, we won't charge you extra; if you believe it to be short, just keep running."

I read that to my wife a couple nights ago after she asked what I was laughing about...  She got a chuckle out of it as well, and that's in part, why I started this thread...

Cheers,

Life Goals:

Last December I ran a trail marathon and because of the weather they had to alter the course the morning of the race. The course was clearly at least two miles short... at least. Afterwards I heard people talking about it saying "I don't care if it was short. It's going in the record book as a PR." 

Then, about a month ago I ran a 5K where the course was anywhere between 0.2 and 0.25 miles short. It was a certified course, but the lead biker lead the first runner off course. Anyway, I heard runners afterwards talk about how great they ran and how it was a "super" time for them.  You'd think they'd be a bit suspicious of knocking 1 to 2 minutes off their PR in a single race (on a hilly course none-the-less).

My only criteria for a PR is I want to know the course is accurate.  When it's clearly not,  I don't count it. 

Prince of Fatness

Oh, and on a side note, I did a "5K" race while on vacation this summer that took 26:06... I forgot about that race... The problem was that it was 3.59 miles on my Garmin.

How the hell are you running 5K in ~20 minutes in training and then going over 26 minutes on vacation?  Here's what I suggest that you do....

• Put the Garmin down.  Step away from it.
                        • Step away from any other timing devices that you may own.
                        • Go to the race.
                        • Run like hell.

I guarantee that you will be happy with the result.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Running is a humbling sport...

BTW, I like the Flying Monkey text on your website...

"We will time and measure the distance, but the course will not be certified, we will not use timing chips, and it will not be a Boston qualifying event. If you get to the end and you (or your gadget) believe the route to be long, we won't charge you extra; if you believe it to be short, just keep running."

Smile

As of yet, almost nobody keeps running after they cross the Monkey finish line.  Except maybe the 100 yards to the beer tent...

BTW, the text you quoted was actually inspired by comedian, gastronome and runner, Lance (LMP here in RA).  Of course, I'm still waiting for him actually to run Monkey.

I guess if by “claim” you mean make public on a site like this, I only include official race times that I’m pretty certain are accurately measured, and I would include intra-race splits if they were recorded.

I ran an 8 mile race this summer, that certainly included a 10k pr (I’ve never run an official 10k before), but it wasn’t measured on the course, and I don’t own a garmin…so, I personally have a pretty good idea what my 10k pr is approximately, but I won’t write it down. So, I have a 10k pr (in my head), but I don’t “claim” one.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

As of yet, almost nobody keeps running after they cross the Monkey finish line.  Except maybe the 100 yards to the beer tent...

As of yet, I have yet to run beyond the finish line of any race, even with the promise of beer a 100 yards away.  If monkeys are chasing me though....

How the hell are you running 5K in ~20 minutes in training and then going over 26 minutes on vacation?  Here's what I suggest that you do....

• Put the Garmin down.  Step away from it.
                                • Step away from any other timing devices that you may own.
                                • Go to the race.
                                • Run like hell.

I guarantee that you will be happy with the result.

Answers...

1. the "5k" while on vacation was 3.59 miles. 

2. the course was hilly and I run on flat terrain. 

3. I was planning on an all out effort for 22 minutes tops... but at the 22 minute mark, I was still a road away from the finish line....

4. It was a small race (40 - 50 entrants), and the police car that was leading me was driving too slow Smile

5. MTA: the 20:00 time was 3 miles... it's the extra 1/10th that eats a good 45 seconds or whatever...

Life Goals: