New Runner (Read 1075 times)

endurancewannabe

Hey everybody, I just wanted to introduce myself as I plan on using RunningAhead as my training log. My name is Kyle, I'm 20 years old and a sophomore in college. Through running I hope to improve my overall health and body composition. I also desperately want to get into a physical activity while I'm young so that that I can enjoy it for a life time. I wouldn't mind calling myself a "runner" and meaning it when I say it (heheh) I've been lurking around the boards a bit and soaking up advice here and there. I'm going to start with the Couch-to-5k program from Cool Running. I'm definitely interested in not getting injured so I think this will be the best way for me to start. That's it. Cheers, Kyle
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm going to start with the Couch-to-5k program from Cool Running. I'm definitely interested in not getting injured so I think this will be the best way for me to start. That's it. Cheers, Kyle
      Great plan, Kyle! I was in the middle of that one year ago and late last Oct. finished my first half marathon. Right now my big training goal is a 25k in mid May...with some other "shorter" races thrown in...a 15k, 2 half marathons, a 10 miler.... You'll get there! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

derek

I'm going to start with the Couch-to-5k program from Cool Running. I'm definitely interested in not getting injured so I think this will be the best way for me to start.
        That's the same plan I used last year. I started it the beginning of July and I could just barely run the 60 seconds required in the first week. I even had to repeat one of the weeks, but I stuck with it and now I do long runs of just over 2 hours without walking.

Derek

I'll echo in too. I just finished that plan and, like Derek, could barely do the 60 second runs at the beginning. Now I can run almost 6 miles at a stretch and 3 miles with ease. Good luck in your quest!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Prophet!

good luck with the program Kyle. I didn't use any sort of programs (maybe i should have) and had a lot of failed starts because of pushing too hard and injuries or simply was frustrated by lack of progress. Just be patient with it and aim for long-term progress...before you know it you're addicted to running and RunningAhead forums. I wish i started running earlier...smoking/drinking/girls/otherstupidstuff were much cooler to me then.
            endurancewannabe

Thank you to everyone. You make a guy feel welcome. The plan must be solid if so many of you have used it with success. And, SurfNRun; I'd be lying if I said that I didn't drink on occasion myself. Moderation is the key, right? Haha...

Now that was a bath...

Welcome. And Steve - I'm happy to see you too. Claire xxx
              • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
              • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                  My suggestion... If you get a sedentary job after college do not have snacks in your office. I used to have cherry pies, chips and other crap in my desk. oh yeah cross train by dancing with all the college HM (NOT HALF MARATHONERS! Smile). Big grin

Vim

endurancewannabe

Note: Did the first day of the plan yesterday. Too easy. I'm going to go ahead and let myself graduate to week 3 Evil grin I'm such a rebel...or something like that. Cheers.

Prophet!

Note: Did the first day of the plan yesterday. Too easy. I'm going to go ahead and let myself graduate to week 3 Evil grin I'm such a rebel...or something like that. Cheers.
                      that's what i'm talking about.
                      Welcome. And Steve - I'm happy to see you too. Claire xxx
                      that too.

madness baby

Welcome, Kyle. Moderation is the key, for sure. Well, unless you've just finished your longest run. Then moderation goes out the window. Good luck with your training. Take it slow and enjoy it!
                        I wish i started running earlier...smoking/drinking/girls/otherstupidstuff were much cooler to me then.
                        But isn't that what the 2000 mile club's about?
                        deb

Prophet!

But isn't that what the 2000 mile club's about?
                          nope, its a pretty boring place...all they talk about is intensity this, long run that, speedwork this, how a gorilla is faster than a monkey at all distances... blah blah blah...