Multiple running sessions. (Read 720 times)

Lazyman

Hi there, I am new to this forum and had a quick question. This may seem like a dumb question, but i ran this morning...now its the late afternoon and i feel like running again. Is it a bad idea to run at multiple times during the day?
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Generally speaking, if you're a new runner, then yes it's a bad idea. Increases your chances of getting hurt and all that. Of course, runners are well known for ignoring good advice and getting themselves overuse injuries... Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

Lazyman

Alrighty, Thanks for your time. I have too much freakin' energy... I think i will risk it. Cool
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep...yer a runner! Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

Alrighty, Thanks for your time. I have too much freakin' energy... I think i will risk it. Cool
            I know the "too much energy" feeling... a common solution is to find some sort of cross-training (especially something lower-impact) that you enjoy to burn off some energy while using slightly different muscle groups. I used to think X-training was lame (why dilute the running experience?), but lately I've tried some cycling and some spin classes and I find that it really helps me add to my fitness without wearing out my feet (which tend to be the area for my overuse injuries). Overuse injuries are a bad, bad thing... try and avoid them. Besides, I'm sick and tired of hearing everyone griping about being injured on here! Wink Big grin Evil grin
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Overuse injuries are a bad, bad thing... try and avoid them. Besides, I'm sick and tired of hearing everyone griping about being injured on here! Wink Big grin Evil grin
              You know, I'm becoming a huge fan of cross training, as well. This Summer I plan to continue my weight workouts 2x/week with 4-5 days of running. Granted, that's pretty much the same amount of running I did last Summer, but the weight work is making me stronger, including my upper body. And it's helping me to lose weight easier than running alone ever did. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Overuse injuries are a bad, bad thing... try and avoid them. Besides, I'm sick and tired of hearing everyone griping about being injured on here! Wink Big grin Evil grin
                You know, I would quit complaining if I could quit being injured! But I was told 2 weeks off, then I can start back at 4-5 miles a day. (Which seems like more than I should, but if I am following someone elses rules now, why not in 2 weeks.....) As someone who seems to spend almost as much time injured as able to run, I would highly recommend not running twice a day - I get into trouble when I run multiple days in a row (though that is not linked to my injuries, just being sore and thinking if I keep going I will get injured). Get in a good run, and do something else if you have the time desire to workout again (elliptical is the closest to running, biking and swimming are also great, weights, etc). When you know your body's limits, then you can push them.