Ab workouts... (Read 3046 times)

I have been trying to find some ab exercises, but I can't find some that really work all of my abs or my lower abs. Does anyone know any good exercises?

Flat footer

I do most of my ab work out at the gym. There's plenty of machines there to work on specific ab muscles.
        if you want to work your lower abs lift your feet off the ground while you to crunches... instead of having your feet on the floor with bent knee just lift the knees into the air so your shins are parrallel to the floor... or so feet are pointing up to ceeling... also try laying on your back with your feet pointing at the ceiling then lift your feet higher (so you bumm comes off the ground)... likeyou are trying to tap the ceiling with your feet...
        jeffdonahue

I have been trying to find some ab exercises, but I can't find some that really work all of my abs or my lower abs. Does anyone know any good exercises?
          Try planks/bridges. Put yourself into a good push up position (in the up position), making sure that your body is completely straight and hold for one minute. You can also do this balancing on your elbows instead of your hands. Then to work the obliques, turn sideways balancing on one arm and raise the other arm in the air - make sure to keep your body straight.
            Some of my favorites at the gym below. Google any of them to get pictures and descriptions. You can also find descriptions on bodybuilding.com. * Hanging leg raises - gets lower abs. Use the arm stirrups or simply hang from a chin up bar and pull your knees to your chest. * Cable crunches * wood chops - I LOVE these, a very functional exercise too.

I run for Fried Chicken!

I like doing the bicycle kick ab workouts. I've read somewhere that they hit all parts of the abs. I'll second the planks and side planks. Especially the side planks, they really work your obliques and it gives that nice definition on the side.

running yogi

At the gym I use this ab stretch machine to do back, ab and side extensions. It has done wonder for my abs. Pilates has also helped me lose inches and firm up my core.
                  Well, I am not proud to say this, but the best abs workout I have ever done is... Huh, Billy's Boot camp Abs DVD. I used to do it few times per week until I changed totally to yoga and MAFfing. 30min pure abs. Even though it sounds really lame, Billy's work out is awesome.
                  db7

Double crunches. Standard sit-up but pull your knees up to your chest as you do the crunch. Great full ab workout. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

dfffff

I do 10 minutes of abs after most of my runs. I just do each one for 1 minute then go right into the next one without breaks. It does wonders.
                        Try planks/bridges. Put yourself into a good push up position (in the up position), making sure that your body is completely straight and hold for one minute. You can also do this balancing on your elbows instead of your hands. Then to work the obliques, turn sideways balancing on one arm and raise the other arm in the air - make sure to keep your body straight.
                        Some additional variations: From the push up position, you can also extend one arm overhead (think Superman) and/or extend one leg. If you try arm and leg at the same time, do opposite sides--R) arm with L) leg, etc. Form is crucial, though--you have to keep your hips level or the abs aren't engaged enough. Squeezing the "cheeks" of your glutes while contracting the lower abs is also part of good form. Can also add BOSU or Swiss ball under the hands to increase the level of difficulty for any of the plank activities. On the BOSU: sit on the inflated side so that the bony part of your butt is only about an inch or so above the plastic rim. Contract the lower abs and do crunches, BUT instead of focusing on the "up" part of the curl, work on pushing back on the "down". This requires the abs to do the pushing against the resistance of the ball, and will work the lower abs more that what you might think.

Slow-smooth-fast

My favourite at the moment is to assume the standard lying crunch position, with legs bent at right angles, shins parallell to the floor. Instead of doing the conventional cruch where you crunch up with the torso whilst at the same time crunch up from the pelvis do this: Place a medicine ball on your legs between your shins, balance it there and keep your legs still and paralell, don't let them drop. Now do the crunch from the torso upwards keeping your legs still, and at the same time tense your hamstrings. The tensing of the hamstrings is an opposing muscle to the abs, so it will burn them like hell. Up the weight with time. I currently do them with a 20kg weight plate on AND THEY HURT.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

dmg

One of my co-workers got the P90-X workout videos. I learned the 16 minute ab ripper x workout by heart. My core has never been so strong, and I've finally got my 6 pack back. It's got to be the best ab workout I've ever done. I found a review on it, but I'm not sure if we can embed links. I'll give it a shot: http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/horton-p90x-ab.php I do it every other day along with my full body workout. Start slow, with only 5 to 10 reps of each exercise.

Never Give In

No matter how much Ab work you do they won't be visibile if you are carrying to many extra pounds around your stomach area. You will also need to cut down on the fats in your diet. My gym instructor says you can do 1000 situps a day & you still wont see your '6 pack' if u r carrying too much fat...Food for thought Smile
                              Goal: Sydney (Australia) Marathon Sept 2008

Slow-smooth-fast

Abs are made in the KITCHEN!!!

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009