The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

rlopez

If we want to talk about hot takes: "I didn't want to give any information that might steer the course of illness in another direction". Now that's something.

MoBramExam

If we want to talk about hot takes: "I didn't want to give any information that might steer the course of illness in another direction". Now that's something.

Excellent example of what passes for "communication" in 2020. What is your personal interpretation (or best guess) of what he is saying?

rlopez

Excellent example of what passes for "communication" in 2020. What is your personal interpretation (or best guess) of what he is saying?

I *think* it means "We don't want to get Mr President worked up*** because that might exhaust him further". That's actually reasonable... I have been super-fevery on all kinds of drugs (including dexamethasone) and 'try to keep calm' is a real thing. But what a weird way to say it. And what that would mean is "we're out here being cagey because we don't want to piss him off."

Honestly, doctor people have been lying about presidential health issues for generations. I remember that we got waaaay too much info about Reagan's colonoscopies and such, but they totally undersold the shooting. And... I get that, I really do. So I'd give leeway here, except that this isn't a shooting or JFK's Addison's Disease, it is specifically the disease he has called a hoax and no bigs and whatnot for months (while privately saying other stuff) and they should be ready for questions without coming across like the Marx Brothers.

*** He has a reputation of getting foam-at-the-mouth angry about stuff.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I really appreciate Heather Cox Richardson's near-daily synopsis of things. Yesterday's was particularly helpful.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

In other news,,,,Borat is back!!!  Good to see that he’s being responsible and wearing mask. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

MoBramExam

I *think* it means "We don't want to get Mr President worked up*** because that might exhaust him further". That's actually reasonable... I have been super-fevery on all kinds of drugs (including dexamethasone) and 'try to keep calm' is a real thing. But what a weird way to say it. And what that would mean is "we're out here being cagey because we don't want to piss him off."

*** He has a reputation of getting foam-at-the-mouth angry about stuff.

In addition to what you noted about the effects of the drugs, worked up because?

* They would be acting in conflict with his nature by exposing he is in a vulnerable state.

* They would be interfering with his campaign's spin and propaganda plans.

* They know he'd be po'd about the way the press would report the info in the most negative and damning way possible.

* Or...maybe he really is doing just fine.

Much larger stage obviously, but similar to asking you to enforce a mask order...docs got thrown to the lions. Act in a reasonable way similar to how medical professionals did things in the past with POTUS, and I'll add FDR to your list, for the reasons you stated, then have your character assassinated and be characterized as a pack of liars in the press. Doubt they need that crap as a distraction.

One thing that is different now is we are more aware of our political leader's character flaws and the backroom conversations are thrown out there in bulk for consumption. Not always, and maybe even rarely given so much anonymous sourcing, with any context or comprehension from the writer or talking head. Makes universal empathy almost impossible.

Not an original thought by no means, but amazes me why any decent person would want to subject themselves to public service or professional service in the public eye these days unless there was underlying personal incentives.

And BTW, well thought out and reasoned take on the question.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So now it’s apparently cool to go joy-riding around in an enclosed vehicle with Secret Service and claim to have visited soldiers at WR while contagious....

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

Have you typically found state legislatures to act in a reasonable manner?

So you believe if the legistature can't find a way to get along in a "reasonable" manner, the proper solution is for the governor to violate the Constitution?  Because what the Court found was that the Governor was violating the Constitution.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Incidentally, these are some of the things that have occurred this week:

- Trump's potential tax fraud. - T

I saw news that potentially he didn't have large tax liabilities.  Don't know if they are accurate, leaks are always questionable.  Can you share sources that this was in potential violation of tax laws?  Because I haven't seen that evidence.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

I didn't participate in the stripper pole but I was there and raced my one and only beer mile. First place female. Not during the Trent and MrFinn years.

MTA: Jeepers, you must've been pretty drunkola!

No, not drunkola.  Just a lot of years and a lot of different people.  Thanks for jogging my memory.  It was really a lot of different people over a few years.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There’s a massively long New York Times article you can read. At issue is not just a question of whether he did anything illegal, and their suggestion of that, but also the fact that he is $471 million in debt and that he misrepresented the lack of profitability of all of his businesses. The New York Times article is the first of many they indicated. All information about sources are in the article.

The suggestion of the tax fraud has something to do with paying his daughter as a consultant while she was also employed by the family business as a way to funnel money away from the business and into the family without tax liability, in a way that is not legal. but I’m not a tax attorney so what do I know?

I saw news that potentially he didn't have large tax liabilities.  Don't know if they are accurate, leaks are always questionable.  Can you share sources that this was in potential violation of tax laws?  Because I haven't seen that evidence.

So you believe if the legistature can't find a way to get along in a "reasonable" manner, the proper solution is for the governor to violate the Constitution?  Because what the Court found was that the Governor was violating the Constitution.

Nope. The Governor did what she felt was best for the safety of the citizens of her state. It was not in wanton violation of the constitution—she cited statutes allowing her to do so. The Supreme Court obviously disagreed and ruled she does not have such authority, as is their prerogative. Just so happens the legislature and Court are both Republican majority, but oh well, that’s who was voted in. I’m just saying that to me, it’s unfortunate. Is the legislature doing anything? I have no idea.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So now it’s apparently cool to go joy-riding around in an enclosed vehicle with Secret Service and claim to have visited soldiers at WR while contagious....

C’mon; that was definitely Alec Baldwin in the vehicle.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

There's a lot of evidence that he massively overvalued his properties to Deutsche Bank when asking for loans, but massively undervalued them to the IRS.  That's the part that came out in the NYT article.  So, there's probably fraud on either end, or both.

mikeymike

Don't be afraid of Covid. If you get sick you can just take Marine One to Walter Reed for the best socialized medicine there is. All for just $750 in taxes.

Runners run