Garmin Express: Manual uploading of GPS data (Read 150 times)

stevetursi

So like many of you I've been frustrated with Garmin's change of direction in terms of their APIs and usage of data. I read with interest Eric's experience trying to deal with them and get access to it - they really don't know what they're doing over there, do they? It's enough that my next watch probably will not be a garmin. F them. But that's not what I'm writing about.

Since the browsers disabled plugins, I went ahead and installed Garmin Express and have been syncing files with Garmin using that method. Of course, that broke any hope of syncing directly to RA. So what I did was I went into my file system and found where Garmin is storing local copies of my workouts - which happen to work fine when uploaded directly to RA via "Upload Data From File."

Data Source: Garmin FIT.

File location: CUndecidedProgramData\Garmin\GarminConnect\Forerunner 310XT-xxxxxxxxxx\Upload\FIT_TYPE_4

"ProgramData" is a hidden directory. You may have to configure windows to show hidden directories if you want to see it. On my Windows 7 machine, open a file window and click organize->folder and search options->view tab->Radio button next to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".

I'm sure there's a similar directory for mac somewhere, but I've not been able to get Express to work at all on my mac. Another reason I'm dumping them.

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else. I did a rudimentary search and didn't see anything.

I actually have my watch syncing through my phone, but what I do is open the workout on connect.garmin.com and download the fit file, then upload it into RA.  An extra step, but I no longer have to connect my watch to the computer.

Cyberic

So like many of you I've been frustrated with Garmin's change of direction in terms of their APIs and usage of data. I read with interest Eric's experience trying to deal with them and get access to it - they really don't know what they're doing over there, do they? It's enough that my next watch probably will not be a garmin. F them. But that's not what I'm writing about.

Since the browsers disabled plugins, I went ahead and installed Garmin Express and have been syncing files with Garmin using that method. Of course, that broke any hope of syncing directly to RA. So what I did was I went into my file system and found where Garmin is storing local copies of my workouts - which happen to work fine when uploaded directly to RA via "Upload Data From File."

Data Source: Garmin FIT.

File location: CUndecidedProgramData\Garmin\GarminConnect\Forerunner 310XT-xxxxxxxxxx\Upload\FIT_TYPE_4

"ProgramData" is a hidden directory. You may have to configure windows to show hidden directories if you want to see it. On my Windows 7 machine, open a file window and click organize->folder and search options->view tab->Radio button next to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".

I'm sure there's a similar directory for mac somewhere, but I've not been able to get Express to work at all on my mac. Another reason I'm dumping them.

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else. I did a rudimentary search and didn't see anything.

Thanks. That's what I was doing with my Timex device, so it's no big deal. Thanks for the directory path.

Efes

Thanks, saves me an extra annoying step of downloading the file to be able to upload to RA :-)

/Efes

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I'm probably the last one to the party on this, but ...

If you have your Garmin hooked to your computer via USB and it registers as a drive (you know, as a thumb drive would),

you can upload the .FIT file to RunningAhead right from the device.

Liz

pace sera, sera