Runner attacked by police in Moscow, Russia (Read 187 times)

Fruchtenstein

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2019/07/russia-police-must-release-peaceful-protesters-detained-during-violent-crackdown/

“Russian authorities today hit a new low by imposing military law-like security measures on the unsanctioned rally... In a particularly shocking incident police detained a jogger running past Moscow City Hall hours before the start of the rally; media later reported that his leg had been broken.

Here's his Strava account. The last run is titled "Got detained while running"

In his Russian interviews he explained that he stopped to make some photos of rally. Police ordered him to leave. He started running again, but then another group of policemen thought he was running away and attacked him violently. He was kicked in the knee, beaten and dragged to the police car. Now, he is accused of participation in an unsanctioned rally.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Play stupid games (such as going to a political rally) and win stupid prizes (like being beaten by police who think you’re running from the cops). He should have avoided the whole thing.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Are you Moscow Mitch?

Play stupid games (such as going to a political rally) and win stupid prizes (like being beaten by police who think you’re running from the cops). He should have avoided the whole thing.

undue monkey

First of all, I thought we were moving on to Massacre Mitch. Second, let's be fair in that interweb message boards' raison d'être is a repository for bad takes. God knows I've had my share.

Are you Moscow Mitch?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I got yelled at by soldiers with machine guns as I was taking a video in a roundabout in Beirut last year - I just wanted to show how crazy traffic was.  They grabbed my phone to make sure I had deleted the video.  "You can't take pictures here!!"  It was scary.  Our son, who has been living in Lebanon for a few years, was ahead of us on his motorcycle.  He said, "Well, of COURSE you can't take photos there - it's in front of the Ministry of Justice!"  as if we should have known that.  Sad  Anyway, you do have to be careful in police states.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Are you Moscow Mitch?

Nope. Never heard of him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/russian-couple-faces-loss-of-child-custody-after-protest/2019/08/07/1760aad6-b8fe-11e9-8e83-4e6687e99814_story.html

AT the same protest a family is now in danger of losing custody of their 1 year old child. Again, play stupid games and win stupid prizes. Hand your kid to a guy who is accused of starting a riot then using the kid as a shield and you'll make it on the news. Avoid going to political rallies and you'll avoid potentially losing custody of your kid. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Nope. Never heard of him.

That must be some blissful ignorance.

Interesting. So do you say this from a purely practical, short term self preservation standpoint, in that protesting a totalitarian kleptocracy is dangerously naive/idealistic?

Or do you just not buy into that whole 'right to peacefully assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances' nonsense?

Runners run

Running Problem

Problem Child

Interesting. So do you say this from a purely practical, short term self preservation standpoint, in that protesting a totalitarian kleptocracy is dangerously naive/idealistic?

Or do you just not buy into that whole 'right to peacefully assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances' nonsense?

I say this as the father of a child who was recently 1 year old and as someone who has watched what happens when people go to a ‘peaceful protest’ that just happens to turn into a riot. Self preservation standpoint in that any form of political protest in a ‘military’ or ‘totalitarian ‘ state/country is not where I’d think to myself ‘we should go check that out with our baby. It could be fun. Maybe I’ll run by there after work’ because I have seen what is going on in Hong Kong and ‘Occupy Wall Street’. Oh and that whole ‘I’m going to run you over with my car’ thing that happened a couple years ago in Reno and Charleston.

VDOT 53.37 

undue monkey

I totally get the idea of keeping your kids, especially the young ones, safe, but extrapolating your point would be the same as saying "those college kids registering voters in Mississippi should have known the cops were going to march them into a ditch and put bullets in their heads" or "You had to have known the cops were going to beat your brains in if you crossed that bridge.

I guess I'm in the camp of "It is not OK that a runner can't run in a public space without getting harassed by law enforcement and it's not OK to blame the victim."

Running Problem

Problem Child

I totally get the idea of keeping your kids, especially the young ones, safe, but extrapolating your point would be the same as saying "those college kids registering voters in Mississippi should have known the cops were going to march them into a ditch and put bullets in their heads" or "You had to have known the cops were going to beat your brains in if you crossed that bridge.

I guess I'm in the camp of "It is not OK that a runner can't run in a public space without getting harassed by law enforcement and it's not OK to blame the victim."

Now you’re just going beyond logical. Registering voters in a ‘free country’ and attending a political demonstration/sit in/not protest by name are TOTALLY different. If this runner was beat by cops because he took photos of people registering voters that’s one thing.

Plenty of public spaces weren’t bothered this day. Runner went TO the political demonstration to take photos. Sucks a different set of cops saw him and thought he was running away because I’d assume he looked NOTHING like a demonstrator. I guess I could extrapolate he was planning on seeing some things happen since Social Media power these days is amazing.

VDOT 53.37 

‘free country’

Guess that you put in those quotes around the words ironically as the US has one the highest incarceration rates in the world,

kcam

Guess that you put in those quotes around the words ironically as the US has one the highest incarceration rates in the world,

Please lay off the politics, for the good of the forum.

Thanks for the reminder.  Some topics just bug me and I need to hold my tongue typing fingers a bit

Running Problem

Problem Child

TanyaS Do you feel like educating me on who this Moscow Mike is, or did you just want to call me ignorat? It's amazing how much you can be ignorant of when you're not involved with social media, or searching every thread on the forum to find out who one person is.

"America stands for freedom but if you think you're free try walking into a deli and urinating on the cheese."

The Vandals.

It's quoted as a "free country" because you aren't really free to do as you want. I'm "free" to run by a political rally however I'm not "free" of the consequences of my actions should anything happen...like getting hit by a car because someone decides to drive down a closed street. Just like you're "free" to discuss incarsiaration rates in the US compared to other countries on a running forum but you're not "free" from being told to refrain from doing so, and/or being banned for doing so. I'm not saying you'd be banned, I'm using it as an example of your freedom to access a public space, but by doing so you'll have to accept the local "law enforcement" if you get my drift.

VDOT 53.37