Bandage Recommendation? (Read 1102 times)

Spin Chick

So I have a blister on my heel and, alas! my waterproof bandaid did NOT stay on during my last run.

Does anyone have any recommendations for bandaids that are sweatproof?

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Duct tape.

Kinesio tape.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Spin Chick

seriously?

xor

Seriously. BTW, to clarify, are you talking about on the back... like your achilles... or on the bottom of the heel?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This thread is useless without pictures.

Spin Chick

srlopez - on the upper back of my heel, where my shoe is now rubbing!

Scout7

Liquid Skin.

Bandage.

Duct tape.

That's how I do it.

dennrunner

Seriously. BTW, to clarify, are you talking about on the back... like your achilles... or on the bottom of the heel?

Seriously, SRL, after all these years you should be more internet savvy. On the internet, "heel" is "heal."

Spin Chick

Cpt Curmudgeon - thanks.  Sounds like a good plan.  Will try.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've had this issue in the past.  While duct tape over a band-aid worked the best, it was still not a long-term solution.  The duct tape would always start to sweat-off by 4-5 miles in.  Shoes that did that were generally shoes that ended up on eBay or donated to Goodwill.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Back of the heel is tough. Been there; done that. There's usually too much friction and movement of the foot for even a good bandage to stick. When I have blisters there, I go with a layered approach:

1. Body glide or vasoline on the skin

2. Cotton balls over the blister area

3. Sterile pad or gauze over the cotton balls (put body glide/vasoline on the pad/gauze too)

4. Athletic tape to secure the whole thing - firm, but not too tight. Probably need multiple strips.

5. Body glide/vasoline or Blister Shield outside the tape

That'll usually get me through a run without making the blister worse. Cut the tape and throw the whole thing away after the run. You want the blister to be dry and exposed to air to facilitate healing.

PS. Auto-correct tried to change vasoline to gasoline. Do not use gasoline. Or if you do, use unleaded.

edited for paragraphs - stupid tablet browser

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

dennrunner

Berner's detail was very good. His number 1 can also be used as a preventative measure. I do this with certain shoes, especially under damp conditions.

Spin Chick

Interesting comment about damp conditions - this new blister (now of course, bleeding when I run) only started when I have been running in the high humidity.

No doubt there's a connection between damp shoes and heel blisters.  I have haglund's deformity on one ankle, and I am especially susceptible to blisters on that heel.  Indeed, I can only run in certain brands/models of shoes without causing blisters.  But during the hot, humid, wet summertime, even my "good" shoes can give me trouble.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

xor

His number 1 can also be used as a preventative measure. I

Also good for jellyfish sting.