Back on the horse... (Read 511 times)

e454545rt

Well I'm now less than two weeks away from my first half marathon. At the beginning of the year I started running, had a goal of losing weight, and running my first half marathon on October 9th. I completed the C25K program back in April, did some 5k's, a 10k, and started dropping some decent weight. Things were looking good.

Fast forward to now and I have gained all my weight back that I had lost, and am now only run/walking in very slow intervals. It's been pretty much an epic fail.

I've decided to still do the half marathon, because worst case scenario I can always walk the majority of it. At least finish with what dignity I have left, haha. But anyways, I'm back on the horse and am going to start dropping the weight again. I never realized a heel injury and some blister issues would throw me this far off track.

I'm wondering if I should do mostly walking until I drop a considerable amount of weight. I think my weight pretty much caused my heel issues as well as the blister issues I've been having. Maybe drop the weight, then continue getting serious into running, or just say screw it, start running again and use that as a tool to lose weight?

xhristopher

You need to be burning calories to get that weight off. If you can't get the volume of exercise you need by running alone w/o beating yourself up I'd recommend cross training and keeping your heart rate nicely in the fat burn zone. That's what I did 40 pounds ago at the end of 2008 when I decided I wanted to start running. As the weight went down and I acclimated my body more to running I added volume. Eventually I was only running but that took a full year.

#artbydmcbride

FYI,..... the new I.A.A.F. rules won't allow you to be back on a horse during a half marathon.  

Good luck!   Don't get injured!   Have Fun!  Smile

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Maybe you were the one djs and the Perfessor encountered.

Seriously, good luck, be patient, and stick with it!  It's worth it.

Walking a majority of 13 miles can be quite an undertaking, do you have an exit plan if you have to quit at  6 or 8 miles or whatever.  i.e will you be OK with not finishing and if you cannot, will you have a ride back to the start?

FYI,..... the new I.A.A.F. rules won't allow you to be back on a horse during a half marathon.

That's only if the horse is female.

OP, don't discount a mixed run-walk approach if you wake up race morning and don't feel you can run the full distance.  I have a few friends who use that approach in races and cover ground faster than if they try to run until forced to walk.  Stick with it, and good luck!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

e454545rt

Walking a majority of 13 miles can be quite an undertaking, do you have an exit plan if you have to quit at  6 or 8 miles or whatever.  i.e will you be OK with not finishing and if you cannot, will you have a ride back to the start?

I'll definitely finish. I walked 13.6 miles a couple weeks ago to get a feel for the distance. I'm guess I'm just really upset with myself. Lately I've been taking it extremely easy by running a minute then walking a minute. I've done as many as 8 miles doing that fairly easily so I definitely think I can do this. Now I'm just wondering what I could have done if I didn't mess it all up.

Oh well. I'll get over it. I'll cross the line, finish off 2011 by losing a big chunk of weight and make solid progress in 2012 with running.