Face mask while running (Read 323 times)

Joann Y

I acknowledge you correcting me, use the information you provided to elaborate on my initial response, and this is the response I get. Good to know. You didn't offer anything to his question about breathing or maintaining distance. You just came here to correct what I said about the size of a virus. I'm glad you dropped in.

If anything you said was ever thoughtful and made sense, I might engage in a conversation. Otherwise, no way man.

Running Problem

Problem Child

If anything you said was ever thoughtful and made sense, I might engage in a conversation. Otherwise, no way man.

Quote from Joann Y on 4/24/2020 at 6:40 AM:

Not 5 microns in size. That's the size of a red blood cell. More like way way less than 1 micron. Google says 0.125. Anywho. Carry on.

Which tells you just how hard it would be to breath while exercising, and just how much protection you'd need. AS I SAID...Just don't go running if you're concerned about contracting COVID 19 from the public on a run. More important things to worry about like correcting people on the internet about the size of a virus particle.

yeah I can see how it would be hard to understand you added nothing about running with facial protection, and how I used your information about particle sizes to continue discussing the.....

know what? fuck it. Not even a point. You don't like me. Literally came here to add the information about size and left, then just said nothing I say makes sense so I'll fuck off proper like. At least on a run I can avoid you and anyone associated with you.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Joann Y

Quote from Joann Y on 4/24/2020 at 6:40 AM:

Which tells you just how hard it would be to breath while exercising, and just how much protection you'd need. AS I SAID...Just don't go running if you're concerned about contracting COVID 19 from the public on a run. More important things to worry about like correcting people on the internet about the size of a virus particle.

yeah I can see how it would be hard to understand you added nothing about running with facial protection, and how I used your information about particle sizes to continue discussing the.....

know what? fuck it. Not even a point. You don't like me. Literally came here to add the information about size and left, then just said nothing I say makes sense so I'll fuck off proper like. At least on a run I can avoid you and anyone associated with you.

I don't pretend to have any facts about facemasks and social distancing and what's right or wrong, that's why I'm not adding anything. You lose your mind in seconds without thinking where I might be coming from. You're volatile.

I think I agree with why bother running with a facemask...

I would try to choose the least crowded routes as possible... vs. heavily trafficked paths.

and sure it's possible to run through someone's sneeze the very moment they are contagious with corona...

one option is running at night/in the dark.... seems like the streets around here are way more busy before 7pm...

or finding a neighborhood or path with very little traffic.

of course there's always the treadmill

300m- 37 sec.

You just came here to correct what I said about the size of a virus. 

Just popping in to mention that knowing that the particle size of a virus is infinitely smaller than what you suggested is probably, ya know, important when discussing face masks.

So, thanks Joann!

Gizmo2019

Hi everyone! I decided not to purchase anything. I ended up cutting up an old athletic tshirt, then read the same article posted here on fabrics, and decided it’s futile.

but I did cut up some “denim.” Not sure if it’s exactly as effective as I want it to be. But my plan is to just have it with me. My last run I used a different path , earlier at dawn and it was decent (only 4 ppl out within 3.36 miles). IM just cutting down on my outside time and supplementing with new workout videos on YouTube.,,yay I get to buy new INDOOR running shoes now!

no treadmill here...

I know theY say the masks don’t protect you from catching the virus but I wonder if they are saying that bc not everyone wears their masks properly (fitted and pressed completely around mouth/nose) or bc droplets can get in your eye, or remain on your face then you touch that and stick your fingers in your mouth, etc.

i don’t know..not an expert here. My exhaled breath is remaining in my mask. Not much of it leaving. Any incoming droplets I would expect to do the same (Not really entering through it) unless you’re wearing a “works only 1 direction” mask.

Regardless it’s defly hard to run with denim over my

mouth when I tested it so I’ll just have it handy for emergencies.

not everyone cares to cover...

thanks everyone

Cyberic

I know theY say the masks don’t protect you from catching the virus but I wonder if they are saying that bc not everyone wears their masks properly (fitted and pressed completely around mouth/nose) or bc droplets can get in your eye, or remain on your face then you touch that and stick your fingers in your mouth, etc.

I had the same question the other day and the Woman told me (not an expert) that the problem with face masks is people "feel" safe, and then act "recklessly". So even if you wear a mask of grade "absolute protection", if you touch the subway ramp, and then scratch your eye you're as much at risk from that behavior as if you weren't wearing a mask. I know it's common sense, but I *think* that is the reason.

And about the initial question, I have run with a mask in the winter before, and it was mesh over the mouth, not even real fabric, and although it felt fine at first, after a few miles the breathing restriction becomes very annoying/limiting. I do not think I would run with a face mask during the pandemic. A couple of times, sure, but from my winter experience with a mask, I would not make it a thing. We'll see if it comes to that, but I'm really not confident it is a viable option for me.

nika

I think I agree with why bother running with a facemask...

Why? Cause some countries have made it mandatory to wear facemasks when you go outside . A friend of mine lives in Poland, and she told me they have to wear a mask also walking down the street, in parks - whenever you are in a "public space" outside.

As masks become more common around the world, such rules might spread to other places as well. In which case, unless you own a treadmill, you have to chose between running with a facemask or not running at all.

edit to add: I've actually tried run with a facemask a few years ago, when I was in Beijing and the smog was killing me, and I remember  failing miserable - with the mask I didn't get enough oxygen because it was so hard to breath through it; without the mask I was just stopping and coughing because the air quality was killing me... So if I was forced to run with a mask, I would probably also go for something breathable and completely useless, and keep far away from other people during the run.

Half Crazy K 2.0

So if I was forced to run with a mask, I would probably also go for something breathable and completely useless, and keep far away from other people during the run.

This has basically been my approach.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I had the same question the other day and the Woman told me (not an expert) that the problem with face masks is people "feel" safe, and then act "recklessly". So even if you wear a mask of grade "absolute protection", if you touch the subway ramp, and then scratch your eye you're as much at risk from that behavior as if you weren't wearing a mask. I know it's common sense, but I *think* that is the reason.

And about the initial question, I have run with a mask in the winter before, and it was mesh over the mouth, not even real fabric, and although it felt fine at first, after a few miles the breathing restriction becomes very annoying/limiting. I do not think I would run with a face mask during the pandemic. A couple of times, sure, but from my winter experience with a mask, I would not make it a thing. We'll see if it comes to that, but I'm really not confident it is a viable option for me.

Nailed it.

Twice.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I have observed this personally.  I've seen people wearing masks acting as though they don't need to distance.

All of this is in contrast to before masks were encouraged - back then, the people wearing masks were also the ones generally best about distancing.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I had the same question the other day and the Woman told me (not an expert) that the problem with face masks is people "feel" safe, and then act "recklessly".

I hear this a lot, but I don’t understand this viewpoint. Do we discourage wearing seatbelts because they make people feel safe and drive more recklessly? No, people need to be encouraged to both act safely and also use whatever PPE is available. Of course masks do not provide 100% protection, especially the home-made kind, but they offer some marginal benefit. Maybe not as much to protect you from others, as to protect others from you. Which is worthwhile. I will not get into the size of the virus itself, but if the mask helps to stop droplets of liquid to/from your nose/mouth, that’s the main source of transmission anyway as I understand.

My wife has made a bunch of masks and sent out to friends & family. They are regular cloth, but also have a pocket to insert a piece of material cut from a HEPA vacuum cleaner bag. So a bit more protective than just cloth. We wear them whenever we go out. But I won’t run in one. As mentioned by others, no way I’d be able to get enough air. I am able to get sufficient distancing on my routes, so I feel pretty safe.

Dave

an amazing likeness

I hear this a lot, but I don’t understand this viewpoint. Do we discourage wearing seatbelts because they make people feel safe and drive more recklessly? No, people need to be encouraged to both act safely and also use whatever PPE is available. Of course masks do not provide 100% protection, especially the home-made kind, but they offer some marginal benefit. Maybe not as much to protect you from others, as to protect others from you. Which is worthwhile. I will not get into the size of the virus itself, but if the mask helps to stop droplets of liquid to/from your nose/mouth, that’s the main source of transmission anyway as I understand.

My wife has made a bunch of masks and sent out to friends & family. They are regular cloth, but also have a pocket to insert a piece of material cut from a HEPA vacuum cleaner bag. So a bit more protective than just cloth. We wear them whenever we go out. But I won’t run in one. As mentioned by others, no way I’d be able to get enough air. I am able to get sufficient distancing on my routes, so I feel pretty safe.

Ditto to both paragraphs. And I've added a focus as I run to insure that I keep a distance from others with the goal of making them not feel I'm intruding on their space or safety.  I have dropped routes which have a lot of walkers on sidewalks from my course rotation for this reason.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Gizmo2019

Healthcare workers wear masks (not always n95s) and their intention is not to catch it from their patients. Anytime I walked into a patient’s room who had contact precautions, that was the reason to wear the mask. So *i* don’t get sick. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I woke up pissed today thinking I just started my running “career” and then this happens..supposed to do my first marathon next summer (I need a year to train) but are they even going to hold races anymore? How the heck will they deal with that? Vaccine won’t be out till next spring, so the virus will always be around. Even with all these alternative ways/at home Work out videos to hold my endurance, strength, NOTHING replicates running. The feeling of improvement, seeing how far you’ve gone, the endorphins, adrenaline, etc..

i miss running daily... 😓but at least My family and I are healthy

Gizmo2019

This is probably why ppl aren’t wearing masks: bc it’s to protect others from YOU. And most ppl think, we’ll I’m not sick so I won’t pass anything to you, therefore I do not need to wear a mask...

my main purpose which is probably wrong in wearing a mask (non running activities) is to protect myself first and then others in the possibility that I’m a carrier.

but with running.i agree with you guys, I just do t think it’ll work. The best I can do is if someone doesn’t move and neither can i is to stop and cover up I guess. I Have encountered a lot Of ppl who would run Right past Me on a narrow sidewalk or bikers on the same sidewalk with a dog! No care about keeping distant