Favorite Long Sleeved Top (Read 143 times)

diane_77

I am in the market for a long sleeved top for when the weather cools off.  I bought a Reebok top last week that I liked in the dressing room, but it's not so great at the end of a run.  The weather got a bit cool and rainy one night after I got the shirt, so I wore it out on my run.  The seams on the sleeves started to make itchy impressions in my skin near the end of my run.

I am looking seriously at the lululemon long sleeved shirt shown here: (no seams!)

Has anyone run in this shirt and love it?  I would have to love it to spend $68 plus shipping for it.  If not, what is your favorite long sleeved top to run in?

MoBramExam

Seriously...$8.97...just going to sweat in it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hanes-Men-s-Long-Sleeve-Cool-DRI-Tee/21014902

kcam

Seriously...$8.97...just going to sweat in it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hanes-Men-s-Long-Sleeve-Cool-DRI-Tee/21014902

Yes.  Or just use one from the seemingly limitless pile of race shirts (hate those things but it beats paying $68 or even $8.97!), they work just fine.

Julia1971

I was in the Lululemon store today looking at stuff and probably saw that shirt.  For years, I was skeptical about their apparel but after talking to some running friends, went in and made my first purchase this summer - some shorty running shorts - and they might be the best running shorts I've ever worn.

As far as my favorite long sleeve for cold weather, though, I have to go with the Nike Thermal.  I can't link to it because it's not on their website right now but they are so good I bought 3 last winter.  They have a fleece-like lining on the inside that eliminates chaffing but they're made of some kind of man-made fiber so they're warm.  From the picture, it looks like that Lululemon shirt is cotton and that's not necessarily good in cold weather.

diane_77

That Hanes shirt looks very promising!

As far as the lululemon shirt goes, I have a tank that's a lululemon that is made of the same Swiftly Tech fabric.  It isn't made of cotton, it just looks like it.  I love my tank, that's why I was tempted to get the long sleeves.

However, if that Hanes shirt is comfortable to run in, then it saves me about $60!! Big grin

Julia1971

That Hanes shirt looks very promising!

As far as the lululemon shirt goes, I have a tank that's a lululemon that is made of the same Swiftly Tech fabric.  It isn't made of cotton, it just looks like it.  I love my tank, that's why I was tempted to get the long sleeves.

However, if that Hanes shirt is comfortable to run in, then it saves me about $60!! Big grin

It may not be cotton but it doesn't look particularly sweat-wicking or warm.  But, depending on where you live, how far you're running, and how well you tolerate the cold, something like the Hanes or Lululemon shirt are probably fine.  I probably should have asked those things.  Hope you find something that works for you!

diane_77

I hope so too.  Not that it's mandatory now, though.  I live in central Texas outside of Austin.  We're still running in the 90's at the peak of the day, so long sleeves are on the back burner, but I like to think ahead.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

#artbydmcbride

Target G9 by champion, double dry

Runners run

Julia1971

Texas?! You are planning ahead. Smile. Yeah, the Nike Thermal would be way too warm for you. Nike also makes a very light long sleeve that I wear as a base layer in the winter. In general, Nike and Brooks tend to be my favorite brands for long sleeve tops.

I hope so too.  Not that it's mandatory now, though.  I live in central Texas outside of Austin.  We're still running in the 90's at the peak of the day, so long sleeves are on the back burner, but I like to think ahead.

elodie.kaye

I have 2 of these tops and 2 half-zips, so I guess I love them though I have some reservations.  I (and others) hate how fragile they are.  The fabric is a light, relatively thin knit, and it snags really easily.  If you have affectionate pets, or infants, this top might not last long.  I don't baby my gear, but apart from sweating a lot and wearing it often, I'm not particularly hard on it either.  My oldest one is 4yrs., minuscule snags from thrashing trails, but otherwise looks great.

My love of these tops is directly proportional to how miserable winter running in Toronto can be.  For me, it's all about staying as comfortable as possible in saturated clothes at 10-20ºF.  The air is sufficiently damp and my sweat rates sufficiently high that I will saturate any base layer in an hour.  In any given week, I have 2-3 runs 90-150min., which is a long time to be clammy.  There isn't any fabric that's truly comfortable next-to-skin in those conditions, but Swiftly tops are the best I've found.  By themselves, they're only warm enough for 40-55º but I layer merino over it.  Add a shell and I'm good for anything into the single digits, with wind or precip.  This is the combo I rely on to get me through the winter.

In warmer or drier conditions, they're even more comfortable, but I'm not as picky in nicer weather.  I'm just as happy in Nike, Brooks, or Patagonia Capilene, in temps 30º and above.  If your winters are milder, there are a ton of options at this price point or less.

Start with the cheap low-cost stuff and use it until you find out it doesn't work - if it reaches that point. When you have a better feeling for what doesn't work or what works better for you, *then* spend the bucks.

I'm still using $9 Wal-Mart shorts from at least 8yr ago, although some threads are starting to break now. Work better than any running shorts that I've tried. I do use some river runner shorts from REI with cargo pockets for my trail races. (office gave them to me when I retired)

MTA: You might consider if you have winds if you need something wind resistant or windproof. In alaska, I seldom wear a light long-sleeve shirt - usually a minimalist wind shell or heavier long sleeve shirt with some wind resistance. The light weight long-sleeves are just a base layer.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog