Are you a warrior, purist, socializer, or exerciser? (Read 1164 times)

dillydoodles

In the March 2007 Issue of Runner's World there is a quiz that "will help you understand your running personality and keep you motivated." Are you a warrior, purist, socializer, or exerciser? Most of my answers were either A or D, so apparently my running personality is somewhere between 'warrior' and 'exerciser'. The 'warrior' part of me thinks of running in terms of training, working towards goals, both short term and long term. I love all the planning, the numbers and stats involved. The 'exerciser' part of me runs for physical benefits, weight management and disease prevention. I'm not a 'purist'. Although I do enjoy running - like the way it makes me feel and how it makes me feel afterwards, I almost always have a plan. I should add some more 'fun runs' to my schedule, leaving the watch and the HRM home. I'm not a 'socializer'. I always run alone and don’t belong to any training clubs. I'll smile or nod or say 'Hi' to another runner as we pass each other, but I don’t really want to chat with someone while I’m running, LOL! It might not hurt for me to seek out others to run with now and then though, just for the fun of it. Have you taken the quiz? Are you a warrior, purist, socializer, or exerciser? (I don't think the quiz is on-line, but if I see it somewhere I'll post the link.) ~ Arlene
    va

I havent read the article, but from your description, I am probably about 2/3 warrior, 1/3 exerciser. I think there is a bit of a purist in me, but its suppressed by the fact that I am overweight. I look forward to the day when I will be able to run without caring about the miles, the pace, the calories, ...
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Most of my answers were either A or D, so apparently my running personality is somewhere between 'warrior' and 'exerciser'. The 'warrior' part of me thinks of running in terms of training, working towards goals, both short term and long term. I love all the planning, the numbers and stats involved. The 'exerciser' part of me runs for physical benefits, weight management and disease prevention.
        Hmmm...sounds like we are very much the same type of runner. I run both to train for races AND to lose weight. And I'm very much a plannner...not at all a purist. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

dillydoodles

I look forward to the day when I will be able to run without caring about the miles, the pace, the calories, ...
          va - I totally understand. One day, we'll run like that - at least now and then :-) I've promised myself that come spring-time I'm going to try to find some new trails, preferably scenic, and not concern myself about the stats.
            I'm definitely a purist and scored that on the quiz- I also know this because I was looking through past log entries the other day and realized that every comment entry uses the phrase "I felt....." and "Felt like..." Apparently I'm constantly trying to get in touch with myself ... Wait, that sounded dirty.
              I wasn't surprised when I turned out a Purist, though I am working to add some other personalities to my running life. So long as they don't compete with the voices in my head.
              2008 Goals
            • Run 1250 miles
            • Get down to 135!
            • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
            • Scout7

I'm definitely a purist and scored that on the quiz- I also know this because I was looking through past log entries the other day and realized that every comment entry uses the phrase "I felt....." and "Felt like..." Apparently I'm constantly trying to get in touch with myself ... Wait, that sounded dirty.
                You and Jeff are both dirty perverted hippies.
                  I haven't seen the quiz (will have to remember to pick up a copy of RW but I'd have to say Warrior for me since that describes me in most anything I do lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Purist: 2 A's 9 B's 2 C's 1 D

Runners run

I haven't seen the quiz (will have to remember to pick up a copy of RW but I'd have to say Warrior for me since that describes me in most anything I do lol
                      I thought the same thing. You might be surprised, though. After taking the quiz, it turned out I was more of a purist than a warrior - sort of a warrior-monk, if you will. Mike
                        You and Jeff are both dirty perverted hippies.
                        Ok, maybe I fit that archetype a little Big grin : somebody come up with a quiz for people on this forum A: Number-obsessed Stathead Runner (Do you even slightly care about things like VO2max or %HR zones?) B: Dirty Hippie Runner (Do you run to "get in touch with" nature?) C: Forum-chatting Addict Runner (Do you post more than 8 times/day? Do you know people on the RA forum better than your friends at home?) D: Cardio-Cross Training Fool Runner (Do you do more than 6 exercises other than running? Yoga-Elliptical-Pilates-RandomCardioMachine3000?) Any other archetype ideas? Big grin
                        va

E: Can't-Wait-Until-You-Don't-Jiggle-While-Running-Runner
                            F) Gadget Guru (You wear an HR monitor, odometer, GPS, wristwatch and an iPod while running.)
                              Most of my answers put me in the Purist group however, I think I am a exercising, purist, worrior Socializer. Big grin Four distinct personalities, just like my shrink tells me. Black eye
                                Warrior and exerciser. Smile
                                Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."