What do you love about running? (Read 1166 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

I have a love hate relationship that I think is maturing into love... However, I LOVE the look on people's faces when they find out i'm heading off to a 6mi run... but maybe not as much as I love the way my jeans look!!!

12 Squared

I enjoy running on quiet country roads. I enjoy reaching my goals. I enjoy setting new ones. I enjoy running with my friends. I enjoy running alone. I enjoy the first run in a new pair of shoes. I enjoy wearing my old shoes around the house. I enjoy running with my kids. I enjoy watching my kids race. It's cheaper than golf.
      If you don't know where you're going, chances are you will end up somewhere else. - Yogi Berra
        I found my love running when I was at junior school and I would have been 9 or 10 years old. It was the school sports day, I was in the 800 metres there was 2 heats and I won the first, which put me into the final, and then I won that too. From that moment on up until hitting 17 I ran all the time, I was a member of Wakefield Harriers. Training with then twice a week, entering track meetings, travelling up and down the country taking part in all sorts of running events. It all came to a rather abrupt end when I entered the first Wakefield half marathon back in 1982, looking back at my time of 1.28 and a placing of 153 out of 1500 this was a very decent time to cover the distance, after this I never ran again until January 2006. It’s a strange feeling I have now, not of regret because I have the opportunity to recapture all those missed years and It gives me a clear goal to reach for, one that I aimed for before and conquered and one to aim for and conquer again. A lot has happened in those missed years, I just feel that I have gone the full circle.
          I've seen a lot of people on here saying how addicted they are to running, and how much they love it. What is it about running that you love? Is it the feeling you get when you've finished a run, or how you feel during the run? Is it the accomplishment you feel when finishing a race? Is it the way it keeps you in shape? I'm getting back into running after taking about 12 years off. Last time I ran seriously was in High School. When I'm running, I feel good about being out there, but it HURTS. When I'm done, I feel great though. I like the weight I'm loosing too!!! I couldn't find this discussed before, but if it has been, I appologise for the re-post. Have a good one, Mike
          What is it about running that you love? Everything you asked below is what makes me love running. Also it's the most simplistic sport and you can do it anywhere you go, no equipment except for shoes required. Is it the feeling you get when you've finished a run, or how you feel during the run? Both. Is it the accomplishment you feel when finishing a race? I haven't found anything that compares to finshing a bigger distance race.........the thrill is amazing and I'm hooked! Is it the way it keeps you in shape? That definately has a bit to do with it as well. My resting HR has dropped as well as my blood pressure and my cholesterol
          Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
            I love the feeling of motion, seeing, feeling the world go by. I love the feeling of effort -- a good effort, working up a sweat. I love running with a group when we get into a good ryhthm. I like to hear the sounds of shoes hitting pavement, when people are at a high work rate, no talking...just breathing and feet! I love running with a group of friends, jogging along, chit-chatting about nothing, just enjoying the company. I love racing, competing against others and myself, overriding personal limits. I love it when a great race strategy comes together, whether I win anything or not. Success is sweet. I love running down a long trail by myself, sharing nature with the "locals". Smile
            Wow... my thoughts exactly! I love the feeling of moving through the world. I love being out on a longer run and getting to the crest of a hill and looking out and seeing the top of a ridge in the distance, knowing it is several miles away and know I will be runnning to it an beyond it. I started running because it was the only cardio excercise I didn't hate and I really really really wanted off my blood pressure meds. Meds now history since June and my resting pulse is still dropping. Somewhere along the way I grew to love running. I think it was when I was able to run 10 miles. When the 30-60 minute runs with friends were easy enough to have a conversation throughout. I like feeling good. Running makes me feel good. As an added motiviator if I run and keep my resting pulse down then my doc can't put me back on beta blockers! BP was 124/71 yesterday with a resting pulse of 50. So I love it and it loves me back!

Maggie & Molly

I love: *hitting the road and knowing that I'm going to use my body and my muscles to get from A to B and back again *the way my friends think that I'm totally and absolutely crazy *feeling that fatigue in my legs and knowing that it was from plain hard work *how my jeans are fitting *my alone time *finishing races (even though I haven't done any big ones yet) *that silly 'school kid' feeling when I've hit a new mileage PR or pace PR i just love running.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

hdh

an ez run on a day like today..... high 20's low 30's outside... not a cloud in the sky....snow covering the trees making them look like they are covered with a dusting of confectioner's sugar... a nice hot shower when I got done followed by a hot bowl of pasta...
                hdh
                  I love....... 1 ) that the 25 year old kids in the office are blown away when I tell them about my 10 mile run. 2 ) the feeling when I stop running 3 ) being able to see my feet when I look down. 4 ) Forerunner (i'm a nerd) 5 ) the fact that I amaze myself when I complete a new distance or race 6 ) post run beer(s) 7 ) being alone with nothing but my thoughts for 30 minutes or 2 hours 8 ) sprinting the last 800 meters trying to beat a PR 9 ) napping after a long run 10 ) passing the bunny Jason
                    I guess the best thing I like about running is when I am not running, what I mean by that is I really like the feeling of being in shape, you breath better, stairs are not hard and just a feeling of well being over all, also you can eat more even tho I tend to do that anyway. When people ask me why I run I just say to lose weight because you cant really tell a nonrunner why you run any way. Becarefull out there. Cool
                    BINGO! And more: I can run for an hour. How many of our neighbors and co-workers can do that? It's the look I get when I tell people I run trails and occasionally bust my butt--but it's ok. It's the look I get when I say that and the other person is also a runner. Big grin Running: It's something anyone CAN do. But not EVERYONE can do it. Wink TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Great replies (and so much I relate to). I'll add: I love the feeling of my body in constant movement, arms and legs working together like a pliant machine. It makes me feel beautiful while I eat up the miles, as if I'm dancing.
                        I love running because I am a runner. I am a runner because I love running.
                        - coming in from a run in 0 C weather with my cheeks all rosy, my hair dripping wet, feeling like a million bucks - that feeling of heaviness in my leg muscles that says, I AM A MUSCLE! - men that say "nice butt" Blush -the way some runners give you a wave and a smile as you pass them (like that's some secret handshake thingy) - endorphins - when people from Miami say "You run in this weather?" - finishing a race and getting a new PR - setting goals and accomplishing them - seeing improvement - having NO pain I could keep going....

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.