Numb foot with new shoes.... (Read 2653 times)

Looking gooooood ;p

...This is for a friend of a friend, so I don't have a lot of details...Anyway, she recently bought some ASICS mild support running shoes and had them properly fitted in a local running shop. Now when she runs one of her feet goes numb...Can anyone suggest reasons why new, properly fitted, shoes would do this?
    The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I know this might sound obvious, but maybe she's tying them too tight?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Menace to Sobriety

Laces being too tight is one possibility. Another is the lace pattern. I've had certain shoes where the laces just hit the top of my foot in the wrong place. Have your friend try lacing them differently, straight lace them vs cross lace.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Does she have any calf tightness/soreness to go with the numbness? I have had what by all accounts appears to be textbook chronic compartment syndrome on occasion and it will cause my feet (my right moreso than my left) to go numb. I've had it with several shoes, regardless of how loosely I tie them. Like clockwork it would come on about 30 minutes into a run and then gradually disappear at around the 50 minute mark...and it would almost feel like there was a rock stuck on the bottom of my shoe, right under the ball of my foot. I don't get it very often anymore, but it does seem to be related to effort, since I am more apt to feel it during a race or other hard workout.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

OMG! Zoom-Zoom...This is the exact sensation I have had for two days now running in a new pair of Brooks Infiniti's. I wore out my Adrenaline 7's with alomost 500 miles on them, and bought a pair of Infiniti's this weekend. I've only done a couple of 3 mile runs in them, but the very first run it felt like my sock in my right shoe was "bunched up" (that's a technical term Big grin) under the ball of my foot, and the numbness in my foot almost felt hot??? Hard to explain until I read your reply. My calf also seemed to be a bit numb too and the next day a bit of tightness as well. I'm going to get a couple of long runs in over the next few days so hopefully this will go away whether it's the shoes or not it's hard to tell with only a couple of short runs. Confused b
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

b, I wonder if the new shoe is causing your calf muscles to work harder...CCS happens when the calf muscles swell too large and are constricted by the muscle's sheath, basically restricting blood flow and squeezing nerves and stuff. Some people who deal with it all the time and with more severe symptoms have had surgery that essentially slices open the sheaths, allowing the muscles to swell freely. Luckily my issues have never been persistent/frequent enough for me to consider that.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Along for the Ride

The bunched up sock feeling under your foot - could that be Morton's neuroma?

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Runnergabe....I'm thinking or hoping that Morton's Neuroma is not the case....here is what I've read...The most common symptom of Morton's neuroma is localized pain in the interspace between the third and fourth toes. This is not the case. The pain is more directly under the ball of my foot, almost like there is extra padding in the shoe. It is possible that I had them tied too tight, but I'm pretty careful not to do that before I head out. Zoom-Zoom....slicing is all I heard Shocked the rest was all pops and buzzes. I don't want to even think about that, but appreciate your input. The day before (and weeks leading up to this) I have been running in the Adrenaline's with no problems. Maybe the toebox in the Infiniti's is a bit tighter than the Adrenaline's and I'm feeling the "new shoe" scenerio in addition. b
                    I was having this same problem with an older pair of Asics. Needed new shoes anyway and so I bought some top of the line NB and expected the issue to go away...IT DIDNT. And in fact for a while it happened to me almost every time I went for a run...Same thing -- right at 30 mins. I laced my shoes really loose and it 'seemed' to help but didnt always stop the issue. After about 4 weeks, its seems to have healed itself as this hasnt occured for a while now..... It was very weird....but I understand your issue - was very annoying.....One day I it took me over an hr to run 4 miles...cause I had to stop a couple time and take my shoes off and let my feet stop being numb.....VERY VERY weird...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Looking gooooood ;p

Thanks for all your answers Cool I will feed back your thoughts and let you know the result.....
                      The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....
                      smee456

I had the same problem. Bought new Nikes and my calves was stiff after 30 mins of running

my calves was unbelievably stiff. i had to stop and take my shoes off, then massage my calves to relax them, by they werent tight bacause of cramps or so, it was pumped up with blood.

After investigating this problem a lot, i realised that with the new softer shoes, the ball of my heel step deeper into the shoe and cause a smaller angle between my foor and my shin. This pulled my calves or hamstrings tight and my calves exercised a different pattern they are used to. The tightness off my calves might cut the bloodflow to my feet, as it was as hard as concrete

any comments or more help for me is welcome, im gonna try to put support in my shoes, maybe to lift my heel a bit to help diagnose this problem