Frank Shorter -- Child Abuse Survivor (Read 1520 times)

Why is it sideways?

xhristopher

Thanks for pointing out the article, which I'm still working through. My wife's from Middletown. We're there every other month. I've run the Orange Classic (kinda Frank's race), and my FIL coached CC & Track the next town over when Frank was at his peak so he comes up in many running conversations when I'm there. This adds an extra dimension to it all.

Turbolegs

Pretty interesting article from Runner's World.

Thanks for sharing this. Its motivating to read about people who have been given the very short end of the stick achieve greatness in whatever they do ..

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Feeling the growl again

Dang....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

That was a very tough read, but well worth the time.  Thanks for posting it Jeff.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Queen of 3rd Place

Oh, that was painful.

Great quote in there, btw

"I never went into a race focused on winning," he says. "I went in wanting to find out." 

Ex runner

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

so sad.

steph  

With me there was no physical abuse but there was emotional abuse and neglect like it was cool.  I was always accused of using running to get away from, like running away from my problems, but have realized that I always ran to deal with my problems.  It was therapy in disguise.  I have gained info and support and so much more from the many running companions and friends through the years.  I think running is a great tool when it comes to rehabilitation of the mind.  I would be lost without running and still use it to this day like it was a therapist or shrink or what have ya!  Adam Goucher was from a broken home as well and used running to transform into a solid member of society.

Here is to running!  Cheers

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

Thanks so much for posting the link. I hope most of you cannot relate to this. I would encourage you to change the title to "Frank Shorter- Child Abuse Survivor" lest someone just read the title and not the article.... thank you

Ostrich runner

Thanks so much for posting the link. I hope most of you cannot relate to this. I would encourage you to change the title to "Frank Shorter- Child Abuse Survivor" lest someone just read the title and not the article.... thank you

I thought of that too, and then said to myself "nobody would ever get that confused, we're talking about Frank Shorter." Of course, that's what everybody said about his dad.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum