Another Garmin Rant (Read 1057 times)

Well, that really is I'm almost afraid to ask, because it means I will waste inordinate amounts of time goofing around with it, but how do you know how many trackpoints were recorded on a given run?
    It's just XML. How hard can it be to process? Actually since I never had a CR log, I processed the garmin data to create a "CR log" in order to upload to RA. I cheated because I didn't want to make a career out of it, and used PERL to process it directly, without trying to interpret it as XML. However, I will attest, there are a lot of track points, but only time, lat/long, elevation and heart rate for each point, I think. Also, there's some useful stuff about the run including start time, total distance, total time. I used a dump from sporttracks, but I am guessing that data from the garmin itself is similar.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The XML processing is quite easy. The problem is twofold: 1) interfacing with the device, and 2) building a UI that allows users easily to select which device data (i.e., activities) they want to import. Every time you interface with the device, it wants to send ALL the data from all the activities. This must be parsed into the distinct activities, conflicts with existing log activities need to be resolved and the user must be able to state what they actually want to keep and what they want to throw away.