Garmin Forerunners are they worth it? (Read 1036 times)

I've been thinking of purchasing a Garmin Forerunner 101 and still am struggling in my mind whether it will be worth it or not. I've decided on the 101 because I want to use it only to track my miles. Currently I have about a dozen routes mapped out with different distances and I choose one prior to my run and stick to it so I know the distance and can figure my pace. I would like to have the Garmin so I can explore more and not have to stick to specific routes all the time. I already have a HM and don't need it on the Garmin because I wear it more to clock myself and wear the strap only when doing certain training or when racing. I guess I'm struggling with whether it is well worth the money you pay out with all the mapping engines on the internet now and how well do they work? Confused
    Scout7

If you just want it for time/distance/speed, I think you're better off with the 301. From what I've heard, it's much more reliable, and a little less clunky, than the 101 or 201. I have the 305, and it's pretty neat.
        I just found the thread "Talk me out of buying a Garmin..." Lots of info on there. Seems like lots of people enjoy having one and like the 300 +.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Do not bu any of the Forerunners that end in *01. They have inferior sensors. You want one that ends in *05.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Do not bu any of the Forerunners that end in *01. They have inferior sensors. You want one that ends in *05.
            Also, I think the 101 in particular doesn't sync with a computer, which is IMHO a showstopper...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Absolutely agree with this. The 05 models are far superior. I had an 01 and now have the 305 and there is so much difference it's amazing. I love my 305. 1. it's red 2. more comfortable 3. plugs into my computer 4. has the HR option that I haven't used yet, but I could 5. the GPS doesn't loose track of where I am and the 01 always did. Go with a 205 or 305. Nothing less. Jilly
              "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I already have a HM and don't need it on the Garmin because I wear it more to clock myself and wear the strap only when doing certain training or when racing.
                Sounds like the 205 would be the one for you...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I was reading some reviews from the site that I was planning on buying the Garmin 101 from and although people were happy/satisfied with their purchase they still had suggestions on how to make the purchase better (make it less bulky, fix signal so you don't have to be in a completely clear path to use it, etc.) I live in PA and we have some great trails you can run on and that is one great reason to have something like this so you can track mileage but I don't think the 101 would cut it. I'm thinking after what you've have all said and reading of the reviews I'm going to have to at the minimum go with a 301. But maybe the 205 or 305. Thanks for all the input!
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Again, the sensors on the 101, 201 and 301 are bad. The sensors on the 205 and 305 are far better, especially on trails, in cities and in the woods and mountains. The 205 and 305 are also far more ergonomic and smaller on your wrist. With the 305 I have (same sensor the 205 has), I almost NEVER have trouble with reception when running on trails and among hills that make the ones you have in PA look like a savannah Wink
                    JakeKnight

Again, the sensors on the 101, 201 and 301 are bad. The sensors on the 205 and 305 are far better, especially on trails, in cities and in the woods and mountains. The 205 and 305 are also far more ergonomic and smaller on your wrist. With the 305 I have (same sensor the 205 has), I almost NEVER have trouble with reception when running on trails and among hills that make the ones you have in PA look like a savannah Wink
                      How's it work in PWP? Have you tried it there in summertime with the leaves on the trees? (My old Timex GPS always worked fine in the winter, than got useless in the summer ...)

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Scout7

..trails and among hills that make the ones you have in PA look like a savannah Wink
                        I would contest this.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How's it work in PWP? Have you tried it there in summertime with the leaves on the trees? (My old Timex GPS always worked fine in the winter, than got useless in the summer ...)
                          Yep. Works great. For example: click
                          I would contest this.
                          See you on November 18. Registration opens on August 1, and will likely close quickly. Dinner the day beforehand? Actually, some folks are planning on doing 26.2 miles on the trails that Saturday. Something about a "double monkey". Not that I know anything about that. But man, check out the elevation profile of the 11.5 mile trail loop, pretty flat compared to PA:
                          Scout7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dude. I am SO THERE!!
                              Scout7

I thought you'd like that one. The one year the t-shirt was the elevation chart. There's also the Bald Eagle Megatransect. http://www.ultrahike.com/course.htm Real savannah-like.....