Question About Brooks (Read 250 times)

Splashalot

My recollection from reading "Anatomy for Runners" is that the shoe cannot really correct over pronation. The dimensions of the shoe won't allow it.

I have footage of me running on a treadmill in Asics Nimbus, then Kayano and if the stability shoe wasn't correcting my over-pronation then I'll fly to the moon backwards.  I was visibly sliding off the inside of the Nimbus' heel, whilst my rearfoot was relatively straight in the Kayano through the gait cycle.  I don't buy all this new-age bumf about shoes being unable to correct over-pronation because I have long-term personal experience that they can.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

My recollection from reading "Anatomy for Runners" is that the shoe cannot really correct over pronation. The dimensions of the shoe won't allow it.

Is the point really to "correct" overpronation, or just to protect the feet/ankles from injury due to it?

Anyway, runlikeagirl, sounds like you were in the same boat I was in when I first started buying "real" running shoes - overpronating, LRS put me in Adrenalines, which I loved.  At some point I decided to go neutral - Brooks Launch, I think - and through three training cycles, I haven't gone back.  No injuries, at least not due to the shoes.  You'll be fine, I bet.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

runlikeagirI

Is the point really to "correct" overpronation, or just to protect the feet/ankles from injury due to it?

Anyway, runlikeagirl, sounds like you were in the same boat I was in when I first started buying "real" running shoes - overpronating, LRS put me in Adrenalines, which I loved.  At some point I decided to go neutral - Brooks Launch, I think - and through three training cycles, I haven't gone back.  No injuries, at least not due to the shoes.  You'll be fine, I bet.

Thanks mab411! I was in Adrenalines in the past as well.   Switched to the PureCadence in fall of 2011 and did great in those.  Wore them for 18 months, went through 5 pairs.  The PureCadence2s gave me a bloody foot after a hilly 11 mile race and my recovery run the next day.  Took them back and got Saucony Mirage 3s.  Same story - the Mirage2s were great for me in the past (straight up & down on LRS treadmill test), but the 3s ended up causing me hundred of dollars in chiro visits.  I was overpronating like crazy in them.  I tried Kinvara 3s and I was more stable in those than in the Mirages!   Been wearing them for about 6 weeks and the knee pain caused by the Mirages is for the most part gone but the thought of going through an entire marathon training cycle in them makes me nervous.  I decided last week to give the PC2s another shot.  So far, so good (no bloody toes or feet).. so I'm alternating between those and the Kinvaras.  The Kinvaras have spoiled me! The PC2s feel like a ton of shoe, now.