Where do you look ... (Read 693 times)

rlemert

and where should you look? On my semi-long run earlier this week I realized that I generally look down when I run, with my eyes focussed on the ground about 15-20 ft in front of me.I started wondering about whether or not this reflected poor running form, and I decided to try keeping my head up and looking for ahead during my runs to see if it made a difference. It's hard to do, though. You have to pay attention and keep reminding yourself to "look up". So, two questions. 1) Where do most of you look during your runs? 2) Where should we be looking? (I'll admit the question pretty much answers itself when your running over uneven ground - at least if you want to avoid a face-plant.)
      i look at the ground ahead of me, i have fallen twice due to tree root or hump in the sidewalk.

Baby bean!

I look ahead but at the ground. Make sense? Keeps me aware of anything that might cause me to trip, but I'm still aware of what's around.

Goals:
        Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Old, Slow, Happy

I run on country roads. I look 1/2 mile ahead to see if cars are coming. I look down when I get tired. Modified to say-I look down when I run in the dark to watch for roadkill. It can be nasty.

A Saucy Wench

I tend to look down, and look down religiously on trails, but have been working on keeping my head up. Posture helps on long races.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

It depends on who is in front

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

theyapper

On the road again...

When following my wife, I look...

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Doug Little

Great timing for the ? I was looking down this morning, trying to find a curb at the corner of a golf course. after I tripped over the curb, tore my glove, cut mt hand, gashed my knee and hit my chest on something....I found that damn curb. So, I guess whichever/whaterver my intentions were, they were not correct this am. Really ticked because I was having a good run but cut it short.
                  Rundadrun27

When I run outside, I look straight ahead and scan left to right with my eyes to make sure there are no obstacles in my way. By the time I reach that obstacle, I'm prepared to navigate around it or moved out of its way. This also helps me keep my body upright thus helping with my breathing.
                    Spencer Davis

I tend to look down, althought its best to keep your head level and look straight ahead. Looking up is helpful for competative races where you always want to be monitoring your competitors, as well as it gives you better form, especially for sprinting.
                        I look forward and right and left, at the houses, people, cars and do sometimes trip over sidewalks, curbs, sticks, etc.,....
                        Roses Revenge

I had to check this morning. I usually look about 1/4 to 1/2 block ahead of me. Anywhere else seems to have me looking through the wrong place on my bifocals and I get a stiff neck.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

I tend to look relatively straight, maybe slightly down, for navigation - with eyes moving side/side and up/down and using peripheral vision to find the trail and keep an eye out for furry critters and other trail users. I'll look more down when on more technical terrain, esp. if I have to be precise with each footstep. However, I've noticed when I run big hills on the road, I tend to look down, esp. on the uphill.
                            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog