Faster Pace (Read 1368 times)

Basically... run!

Okay, so I usually train between a 9 and 10 min/mi pace. Even when I try to push myself (and feel like I really am), I only end up near the 9 min pace. But today I found out how to get past that. You just have to start your run after sunset and try to get back before it gets completely dark. This is especially motivating when you're running in an unlit park or near roads without streetlights. It certainly helped me - never before have I just gone out for a run and ended up with an 8:26 pace! Big grin

It certainly helped me - never before have I just gone out for a run and ended up with an 8:26 pace! Big grin
      Nice work! My problem is that I enjoy running in the dark. Cool

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Good job! I also have a strategy: Start before a huge thunderstorm is expected. Run at a pace that gets you home dry and not struck by lightning. (I actually only did this by accident one time, and it was awesome when I got in the door and the heavens opened up.)
        2008 Goals
      • Run 1250 miles
      • Get down to 135!
      • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
        • Okay, so I usually train between a 9 and 10 min/mi pace. Even when I try to push myself (and feel like I really am), I only end up near the 9 min pace. But today I found out how to get past that. You just have to start your run after sunset and try to get back before it gets completely dark. This is especially motivating when you're running in an unlit park or near roads without streetlights. It certainly helped me - never before have I just gone out for a run and ended up with an 8:26 pace! Big grin
          I did that once, I managed to get myself too far from home and it got dark a lot faster than I expected. I ran a decent time that night. I didn't get home before dark, but just a few minutes past. Big grin
          Good job! I also have a strategy: Start before a huge thunderstorm is expected. Run at a pace that gets you home dry and not struck by lightning. (I actually only did this by accident one time, and it was awesome when I got in the door and the heavens opened up.)
          Now that would really have me scared. If the skies are too dark and a thunderstorm is expected I'll stay very close to home, or hit the dreadmill. I don't mind the rain, in fact, I like running in the rain - just without the fear of getting struck dead!

Michelle

Ha! My husband says he's going to tape a $10 bill on my back on let me loose in the city for speedwork. Surprised
            2009: BQ?
              Be careful with that Trishie! I was listening to a radio show where they had one of their interns covered in dollar bills and he had to run through an area of town with a lot of homeless folks. He was shouting "Free Money!". They called the bit "The Running of the Bums", but they should have called it "The Beating of an Intern".

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Be careful with that Trishie! I was listening to a radio show where they had one of their interns covered in dollar bills and he had to run through an area of town with a lot of homeless folks. He was shouting "Free Money!". They called the bit "The Running of the Bums", but they should have called it "The Beating of an Intern".
                How horrible!! I feel guilty for laughing. Confused

Michelle

Another tactic of mine is just never having the time to run so I force the time and have to hurry. Roll eyes

Michelle

How horrible!! I feel guilty for laughing. Confused
                    Don't feel guilty. The part I left out was how much I was laughing while they broadcast this "event".

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Basically... run!

Nice work! My problem is that I enjoy running in the dark. Cool
                      Thanks! And if I could have seen the sidewalk a bit better, I wouldn't have minded the dark as much. Smile
                      Ohh, I miss thunderstorms! We hardly ever get them where I live now. Sad

We rarely get thunderstorms here either - I miss them too - saw some pretty amazing displays in Kansas and Colorado

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

We rarely get thunderstorms here either - I miss them too - saw some pretty amazing displays in Kansas and Colorado
                          I'll remember to send the next one your way Cheryl! I made the mistake of saying how PA never gets thunder and lightning storms in the morning on Saturday. Well guess what I ran in yesterday? You got it!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Yikes - I'd never want to run in one of those - even for the additional motivation you are currently offering... *mutters to self " here I am trying to stick to healthier eating and she gets to eat ice cream " Tongue * Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group