Running Shorts (Read 2353 times)

npaden

Based on advice here on another thread I went to my local TJMaxx store for the first time in probably 10 years.

Bought 3 pair of compression underwear (Nike Profit and an offbrand called Layer 8), 3 pair of running shorts (Avia and Layer 8), 2 shirts (Nike Profit and Addidas) and 2 pair of Addidas synthetic cushioned socks for $105 TTL out the door.

I like the stuff with a little bit of spandex mixed in with the polyester, it just has a better feel to it to me.

If you have a TJMaxx that is local to you it might be worth checking out.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

philipfromga

I have had tremendous luck with Marshall's and TJMaxx in Atlanta.  Nike, Adidas, Hind, Reebok shorts and technical shirts all around the same price as the Champion stuff at Target.  Colors range from Max Glow to plain old white and black.  I've only stopped by once or twice and not found some kind of deal.  

Great ideas, thanks everyone! 

- Anya

kcam

My latest 'find' was at Marshall's - bought a 6 pack of thin, low-cut Fila running socks.  My socks generally last years and years and the ones I have are finally wearing out.  I like these Fila socks even better than my previous favorites (which were New Balance Racers that cost about $5.00 EACH pair).  Cost was $5.49 for 6 of em.  I'm going back for another 6 pack and that might last me the rest of my life!  

I heading to Marshall's right now

2012= under-goaled

an amazing likeness

I see, would like to find some awesome shorts that are at least under $30 !!!  

But, I understand that if you invest in a couple of good pairs, they will last.  I'm just trying to find a bargin , I guess. 

Anya -- I still use the very first pair of shorts I bought from the swoosh brand in May 2007. They do last. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I've retired shorts because they were too long (as I ran more, I wanted running shorts).  In view of their durability, I'd get the shorts that best performed rather than chasing a bargain.  Or ... find the shorts that best perform, then try to find the best deal on them -- win-win!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

luken

RA's cranky old teenager

Eastbay sells their own brand of 2-inch and 5-inch shorts for $15, I believe. I got two pairs of 2-inch shorts at the end of last summer and they've held up really well. Really good stuff.

I also got a pair of Nike DriFit "Tempo" 2-inch shorts for $25 at my local running store, and I like them a lot.

That's probably maybe mostly true.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've retired shorts because they were too long (as I ran more, I wanted running shorts).  In view of their durability, I'd get the shorts that best performed rather than chasing a bargain.  Or ... find the shorts that best perform, then try to find the best deal on them -- win-win!

Huh, shorts perform?  I thought I did the running, and the shorts were to just cover my nakedness.

old-runner

I don't think anybody's mentioned RaceReady shorts yet. They're great, especially for longer races. I like being able to carry stuff in the pockets. They're not too cheap but lately I'm just buying a couple pairs each year and wearing them in races so they stay in good shape, and I wear my older ones (and stuff I find at TJ Maxx and Ross) on training runs.

http://raceready.com/

look for new shorts every so often over the years.   never find just the "perfect" ones for me (at whatever the cost).  either too short or too long or no pockets.   same old thing, so just stick to the same REI ones, just wished they had small pockets on both sides & not just one side.  been using the same 2 pair for last 4 years & still good as new.  never been washed, maybe thats why they last so long.  just kidding I washed them about a year ago.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I don't think anybody's mentioned RaceReady shorts yet. They're great, especially for longer races. I like being able to carry stuff in the pockets. They're not too cheap but lately I'm just buying a couple pairs each year and wearing them in races so they stay in good shape, and I wear my older ones (and stuff I find at TJ Maxx and Ross) on training runs.

http://raceready.com/

That looks like a good company.  Check out their specials page - men's shorts for $19.