Anyone else a pescetarian/vegan (Read 893 times)

Onion-crusted baked tofu, you say? I would love to know this one.

My body doesn't respond well to vegetarianism, though I eat a lot of vegetables.  My dad, however, is a pescetarian/vegan due to a heart condition (he also eats low fat) and he really saw his running take off after he adopted the diet.  He initially lost too much weight but gained it back once he figured out what he could eat.

I think it depends on individual health and all, but obviously everyone should eat many vegetables.  I know tons of great recipes for everything from egg-free pancakes (hint: egg replacer... not that hard) to onion-crusted baked tofu to low-fat vegan chocolate cake (hint: pumpkin puree), because I cook for my dad sometimes, so if anyone wants some good recipes I do know them. Smile

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

GC100k

Hi all, I'm Amanda. I'm a cross between pescetarian and vegan.  (except for egg-white, honey and seafodd, I'm vegan)

Except for beef, chicken, milk, and cheese, I'm vegan.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Onion-crusted baked tofu, you say? I would love to know this one.

The key is to dehydrate onions in a dehydrater (or just buy dried onions) and crumble them up very finely and use them either instead of (if you're trying to be lower-cal) or in addition to breadcrumbs; I'd recommend panko.

The you mix the dry onions with chili powder, garlic powder, and dried cilantro (if you want southwestern flavor) and some hot sauce.  Add ground flax seed mixed with water ("flax egg") or a bit of Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer in water.

Press tofu dry and cut into small cubes or 'fingers.'  Dip into mixture.  Bake on a sheet sprayed lightly with olive oil.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My body doesn't respond well to vegetarianism, though I eat a lot of vegetables.  My dad, however, is a pescetarian/vegan due to a heart condition (he also eats low fat) and he really saw his running take off after he adopted the diet.  He initially lost too much weight but gained it back once he figured out what he could eat.

I think it depends on individual health and all, but obviously everyone should eat many vegetables.  I know tons of great recipes for everything from egg-free pancakes (hint: egg replacer... not that hard) to onion-crusted baked tofu to low-fat vegan chocolate cake (hint: pumpkin puree), because I cook for my dad sometimes, so if anyone wants some good recipes I do know them. Smile

The tofu sounds good, and a lot healthier than the deep-fried tofu we used to make.  I wouldn't mind having your pumpkin chocolate cake recipe, too.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

The tofu sounds good, and a lot healthier than the deep-fried tofu we used to make.  I wouldn't mind having your pumpkin chocolate cake recipe, too.

Ooh, that one is REALLY good.  It's just about 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 cup pumpkin, 1/2 tsp each baking powder and baking soda, all mixed together in a ramekin.  Add sugar to taste (you can taste the batter Smile).  The thing is, I don't measure, I just add until it's a bit runny.  I also may add some soy or almond milk and if I want it to be 'cakier' some egg replacer.

I like to put a big chunk of dark chocolate inside, or put chocolate chips and/or walnuts.  If you put the chunk of chocolate inside you can wind up with a kind of molten lava cake.

Bake at 325 for about 30 minutes depending on the size of the ramekin. I like to line the ramekin in lightly olive oil'd parchment paper so it's truly non-stick but without the junky liners.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks - I'm anxious to try it.  Maybe Mother's Day.

Docket_Rocket

I became a vegetarian 13 months ago to help my asthma.  I have done 9 marathons and one ultra since then and I have had no issues with my energy or nutrition.  In fact, I have more energy now than before.  I really do not miss meat and in fact, ate a little piece of it earlier this year.  I was like, is this it?

I am surprised that I don't miss bacon, which I ate with breakfast, lunch, and dinner before. even when I cook it for my husband I have no desire to try it.

Now I want to try that onion crusted baked tofu!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

YAYpril - B-Plus

I don't like tofu very much. Maybe coating it in onions will make it taste better for me. I will have to try it.

Speaking of recipes, I made these cupcakes for Mother's Day and they were a HIT. I didn't plan on using a vegan recipe - it's just the recipe I tried and they were very good. I actually did use milk instead of water (like some of the reviewers suggested) but I'm sure non-dairy milk would work just as well. http://www.food.com/recipe/moms-chocolate-cupcakes-105594

I added semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter and frosted them with peanut butter frosting.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I don't like tofu very much. Maybe coating it in onions will make it taste better for me. I will have to try it.

Bacon bits might make it delicious.  Ha ha.

Regular ass person

Tofu can be supremely delicious if you or whoever is cooking for you knows what they are doing.

For what it's worth, Bac-O's are vegan.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Tofu can be supremely delicious if you or whoever is cooking for you knows what they are doing.

Wegmans has an herb-baked tofu at their salad bar. That's the only tofu I'll eat. I haven't mastered cooking it myself yet... and I just stopped trying because it frustrated me.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

What about bbq tofu or tofu marinated in a little orange juice, soy, and ginger?  Man, I love tofu, but it upsets my stomach, so I don't eat it all that often.

As for other vegan dishes, cannelini beans when pureed with carmelized onion, roasted garlic, vegetable broth, olive oil, and herbs (basil is good, or rosemary, actually) make a mean replacement for alfredo sauce with (whole wheat) pasta.  Throw in some spinach and maybe some carmelized onions left un-pureed and it's awesome.  Red pepper flakes on top for spice.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I like to throw some cubed tofu in a veggie stir fry.  It nicely takes up the flavors of your sauce ingredients, which in my case often includes soy sauce, hoisin, Sriracha, sesame oil, and/or sometimes something fruity.

Docket_Rocket

I like extra firm tofu.  The others, not so much.

I have never seen Bac-O's but a friend of mine shared this recipe to make vegan bacon from tofu:

http://delicioustv.com/2013/04/tofu-bacon-blt/

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page