Snowshoe Running / Running Snowshoes (Read 132 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But when certain users use the trails in certain ways, it may preclude others from using the trail safely. It's a big management issue up here - what can the trails sustain? Do we need trails designed for the present volumes and diversity of users? probably yes. What was originally a winter trail to somebody's cabin may not be able to support 20 ATV's in a summer rainstorm.

That's been a problem with bike/pedestrian trails in our area.  People go walk/run/ride them when it's wet and it destroys the trails…makes them erode, fills them with godawful holes, and requires time-consuming repair work.  It doesn't seem to matter how many signs are erected at trailheads, there are always a handful of people who seem to feel like it's no biggie if they use the trails during fragile conditions.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Latent Runner

Interesting, no such signage for our local trails; fortunately the dirt is hard packed enough that a walker/runner would be unlikely to leave a divot.  That said, there are lots of horse on our trails as well and their divots can be, ummm, exciting if you're not careful.  Personally I don't mind the divots; they're far less dangerous than the rock domes and root snakes which cover our trails.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

around here...if it weren't for awesome landowners for the use of the trails that are on there property we'd have a lot less options for destinations.

i run trails cause it is NOT the road. the road bores me to tears. i go into trails knowing full well that it is potentially hazardous and more a challenge of negotiating...that is what a trail run is...that is why it is exciting.

if i want to be unexcited and bored to tears...i run on asphalt.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

i run trails cause it is NOT the road. the road bores me to tears. i go into trails knowing full well that it is potentially hazardous and more a challenge of negotiating...that is what a trail run is...that is why it is exciting.

if i want to be unexcited and bored to tears...i run on asphalt.

+1

Gator eye

Oh, the most fabulous place in the whole world is the Upper Peninsula of MI.  Endless spiderwebs of snowmobile/ATV trails.  We took our fat bikes up there this Summer and had the time of our lives.  This will be our standing family vacation until we're too old to ride, I expect.  I imagine it's snowshoe Nirvana, too.

After running a trail run in the U.P by Tahquanimon Falls last summer and reading they also do a snowshoe run in Feb, I spotted a set of snowshoes at a garage sale and grabbed them for 20 bucks with thoughts of trying that run.  I've never even walked in snow shoes let along run but it sure sounds like fun.

I love wandering around the trails up there, I just wish I could get up there more often.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love wandering around the trails up there, I just wish I could get up there more often.

Us, too.  The trip we did right before Labor Day was the first time my DH and DS had spent any significant time in the UP (this Spring was their first time up there when we chaperoned our son's class trip to Mackinac Island and Tahq Falls).  It was REALLY hard to come back to real life after enjoying the isolation and seeing a baby black bear in the wild while riding a trail (glad we didn't see mama, though!).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay