Philadelphia marathon (Read 126 times)

slingrunner

Anybody here running it?  Long range weather forecasts aren't looking so hot.  This was supposed to be my BQ as well as a possible attempt at 3:00, so I'm a bit worried.  I also see they removed the 3:05 pace group!

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

DigDug2

I'm running Philly, shooting for sub-3.  So far looking dry but windy - but a tailwind for the home stretch!  Annoying re: the pace group - I've been lobbying them for months to have a 3:00 pace group, which for a race with 9000 finishers doesn't seem like an unreasonable ask (NJ had a 3:00 pacer with only 2000 finishers), and then they remove the 3:05 pacer.  (The website is even confusing about whether or not they have a 3:10 pacer.)

Good luck with the taper!

slingrunner

Best of luck yourself.  Have you run Philly before?  I wouldn't get so set on that tailwind coming back.  I run all the time on Kelly Drive and the wind does some surprising things.  It will very likely average more tailwind coming back, but there will be plenty of headwind too (on the plus side, you get a break from the headwind heading out to Manayunk).  The course is very exposed in the 2nd half.  I only run 1 road marathon a year, and I'll be pretty bummed if it's a repeat of last year's weather.

DigDug2

No, I've never run it before.  Well, fingers crossed...

KMB

I'm running it this year.  Looks better this year than last so far.  Agree on Kelly Drive.  Last year it felt like a head wind both ways.

flyrunnr

Weather shouldn't be too bad at Philly, looks similar to last year, maybe slightly warmer. I thought last year the cold and the wind would have been horrible to run in, but most people did far better than I expected and they loved it.  Wind tends to be a performance enhancer on a loop course, just got to tuck it when you've got the headwind and get out when you got the tail wind.

Also make sure when you're running along West River Drive (MLK Drive) and Kelly Drive that you're running tangents, since both roads snake the river and have lots of curves. You're somewhat limited to half the road on Kelly Drive, since it's split with cones on that portion which is out and back.

The 3:00 hr pacer is on for the first 20 miles. There should be a good group going for sub-3, just find an experienced sub-3 runner and follow him/her in.

I should be down there on my folding bike riding around and spectating. I'll be at Tir Na Nog (16th and Arch) after the race wearing a white Run NYC baseball cap and possibly an Eagles jersey.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

DigDug2

Thanks for the tips, Fly.  What's this about a 3:00 pacer for 20 miles?  Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere - would be great.

slingrunner

I checked the website, and sure enough they did add the 3hr rabbit.  That was within the last couple days.  I guess they couldn't find any fast pacers for this race, since they have multiple pacers at slower distances (which is new).

I'm trying to figure out my strategy.  With a recent 39:04 10K I'm just on the border of maybe breaking 3:00, but I'm getting a cold, and the wind will be a problem, so I find it unlikely.  Even if I don't think I can break 3hr, I might try and run with the group until the turnaround in Manayunk.  In my experiences the worst winds on the course will be around the zoo, and then from around miles 15-20... with the slight climb into Manayunk after the long stretch of battling the wind being a knockout blow if you are on the edge.  Due to a gambling pacing strategy that failed last year, I wound up running nearly the whole race without any wind protection, and it wasn't pretty.

DigDug2

Gotta say I'm actually pretty optimistic about the weather at this point.  Mid-40s at the start and throughout the morning and cloudy - sure, a little windy (18 mph current forecast), but not terrible.

Jill_B

I fly.

I may be cheering at the water stop in Manayunk - in front of Winnie's... TBD... Good luck!

Bring it on.

flyrunnr

As far as the 3:00 pacer, I'd say it's a fairly big request to ask of a volunteer, even in an area with decent runners. You may see them at bigger marathons like NYC and Chicago, but not at too many smaller marathons. I do some pacing at races, and most pacers that I know really prefer to pace about 15 min slower than their current fitness in a half marathon, and ideally about 30 minutes slower than their PR or current  fitness in a marathon in order for it to be an enjoyable and successful endeavor.

I thought about volunteering to carry the stick from mile 20 to the finish to lead the 3 hour group in from Manayunk. But, I'd also like to watch on the race and cheer all my friends on that are running.

No matter what, stick with the potential sub-3 finishers in the group, share the work of pulling the lead, alternate miles. Pass on encouragement to each other to keep after it. Good luck!

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

slingrunner

I see what you are saying Flyrunnr.  Looking at the bio of the 3:00 rabbit and the 3:10 pacer and it's clear that they are very accomplished runners.

My annoyance I guess is that there was a 3:05 pacer for years, and it was listed on their website quite recently, and then it is being switched last minute.  The marathon could also decide that as a respectable race they should have at least one pacer going at a BQ time, and pay somebody if they really wanted to.  As it is, I think a rabbit until 20 miles is perfectly reasonable.  This race has always been incredibly poor at communication... two years ago for instance people couldn't get in their proper corral because they weren't allowing maroon to enter in maroon (people had to shove through hundreds of runners in the black group.

I remain really torn and frustrated with my lack of strategy.  I will attempt to go out with the 3hr group, but realistically I don't think I have the fitness to stick with the group...my times were already borderline, and the wind is going to make it harder.  The 3:10 group doesn't help me as I want at least a BQ (my time is 3:10, so that wouldn't give me a buffer).  I don't even like working with pace groups, but last year I got absolutely pummeled on my own by the wind, so I really do want to be in a group, but if I'm chugging along at 3:04 pace or something, most likely there will never be more than one or two people to work with, which really isn't enough to help much.  Last year I found myself constantly accelerating or decelerating to get behind somebody.  I tend to overthink stuff, but I may never have this fitness again, so I don't want to blow it!

robwantstorun

....  The 3:10 group doesn't help me as I want at least a BQ (my time is 3:10, so that wouldn't give me a buffer).  I don't even like working with pace groups, but last year I got absolutely pummeled on my own by the wind, so I really do want to be in a group...

Have you considered starting with the 3:10 group, then picking up the pace after you've got a bit of the race under your belt?  In general, starting too fast is much more of a risk than starting a bit slow.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Having been a pacer at my local marathon a few times, I think it’s easy for the organisers to find pacers at 3:30+

But, If they can’t find 3:00/3:05 volunteer pacers, then advertise and pay someone to do the job out of the budget. Having a 3 hour pacer for 20 miles is very poor and amateur, especially when the last 10k is when the going gets tough and encouragement is needed the most.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flyrunnr

Mikkey - Well, I tried to offer up my pacing services a few days ago. I guess they didn't want any late entry pacers... because they are all "set" for this year. Cool, that now leaves more time for cheering and beverages.  See reply:

Hi Mike, (Mikkey is my name too!) Wink

Thanks for your email and offer to help out this year. We're set for this year but let me know if you are interested in pacing next year and we'll keep you in mind!

P.S. Congratulations on an awesome NY marathon!

Sling - that's just the taper giving you concerns. Take the time and figure a race plan and even if you don't love it right now, it will soak in. Select A, B, and C goals so you don't give up if you miss your 'A' goal. I showed up in my corral with two pace bracelets and threw one away if I didn't feel confident about it.

I'll suggest this: The more stuff you can plan out for the all the things you can control, no matter how little, the better you will feel about the stuff you can't control.

This is all probably obvious but the more I talk think about these things, the better I feel: Know what time your waking up, 4:30 or 4:45 (for 7:00AM start), then drink at least 16-20oz of water and/or sports drink within 30 minutes of your wake-up time, you get dehydrated during sleep. Eat as soon as you can, and know what your going to eat the night before. Know when you're leaving to get through security check and head to your corral. During the race, keep up with your nutrition and hydration, even though it's cold, you'll dehydrate.

Wear hat/gloves to the start.  It will be cold standing around out there.  Don't toss those if you get warm during the race, it will be cold again out along the River without the buildings to break the wind.  I always tuck them into my shorts.  Sometimes you get warm while you're running, but later in the race your body transfers all its energy to race survival and stops worrying about body temperature.  You'll likely get cold again.  If so, you'll want those gloves and/or hat.

DigDug - It's looking good with latest reports, good luck!! I'll be looking for the 3 hr Rabbit!

All - Please share your bib numbers if you want us to track and yell at you on the course!