How many hours do you work per week? (Read 269 times)

Sultan of slug

How many hours do you work and commute* in a typical week? This is more relevant for people who work a typical job with rigid hours.

I work 8:30 to 4:30. With a 35-45 minute commute, when I put in 60 mpw I sometimes feel like I don't have time for a heck of a lot else. Granted, I cook and don't eat out much, so that's something I spend time on, but I don't have kids and I live in a small apartment that's easy to maintain.

Kudos to everyone who works full time and puts in lots of miles - I know I'm lucky with my work hours.

*an important piece to include, as xhristopher pointed out

Wing

Joggaholic

How do I count the hours? What if I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working?

Used to deploy with the USN, so not sure how to count those hours.  24 hours IA to Afghansitan or 24 hours on a ship doing circles in the Gulf for 6 months away from family feels like 24 hours of work a day to me....

But... I retired last year.   Relaxing, Running.   I am now working 0 hours a week.  ---- Except that I built up a S.O.S.G.T.L. list in past years that my spouse now expects me to work many hours a week on.     (S.O.S.G.T.L. = "Stack of $h1t I'll get to later"....)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

xhristopher

If we're talking about how much work cuts into our running habits we should include the commute, no? If including commute, I'm going to also include dropping the kid off at school. Now I'm in the the more than 55+ zone. I run at night a lot.

delicate flower

40 hours a week in an office job.  M-F 6:30 to 3:00 or thereabouts.  I can flex my schedule an hour or two either way, as long as I am there for my meetings and the bulk of the office hours.  I've got a 45 minute commute each way.

I run 6-7 days and 50-60 miles a week.  Really that comes down to 60-70 minutes of exercise a day, with a little more a couple times a week.  Finding an hour a day to exercise isn't a problem.  I don't have kids either and I do the cooking for me and DW.  At the end of each day, I probably have 90 minutes to sit on my butt and relax before hitting the sack.

<3

Scooterscott

Work from my home office when possible but with consulting work i have to go to client sites frequently.  Used to travel 90% of the time or greater but a recient role change cut my travel some.  The tricky thing is some weeks are 70+ hours but there are times were it can be only 24 hours.  The variability in time and travel make it seem a lot more intrusive to trying following any plan.

I technically work 35 hours a week, and I live two miles from work. I leave at 7:30 and am home by 3:30.

I also grade 1-2 hours a night on weeknights, grade for 6-8 hours on Saturdays, and write lesson plans and materials for 4-5 hours on Sundays.  If I include those hours, it's at least 50 and often 60.  More when research papers come in.

It's a good gig, though.  Love what I do, and summer helps balance it out...even if I tell myself every year I will not spend the last month of summer tearing apart and re-building my curriculum only to do it anyway.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                Emil Zatopek

Usually about 50 at work and then another 1-2 hours per day Sunday -Thursday from home after the kids go to bed.  I usually run before dinner these days but I miss when I didn't have that extra 1-2 hours at night because it was much easier to get up and run before work.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I'm "retired", in that my husband and I agreed we could survive on one income.  His job lends itself to working from home and paid more than mine did, so I was the lucky one who got to quit her job.  That being said, I still work, I just don't get paid for it.  I chop all our firewood, all the firewood for my parents, I have a large garden and I preserve cases and cases of produce every year.  I take care of the lawn.  I run errands. I cook from scratch, bake my own bread, take care of the animals.  I keep the house clean.  And dozens of other things I do to help out so that when my husband isn't on the clock, he has the freedom to make the most of his non-working hours.

But I know I am incredibly lucky to have three or more hours a day that I can dedicate to running and lifting weights.  I could not do my mileage with a job (I'm averaging 275-300 miles per month right now).

Leah, mother of dogs

Just a dude.

50. 40 working and 10 commuting... I'm not counting lunch cuz I can jog or walk there if I want... Currently closing in on 50 mile weeks, but have been in the 80s... -Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

djschroeder4

I work 40 hours a week, go to school full time and run 70+ miles a week.  I just don't sleep.  Smile

I'm in the midst of getting an inheritance ,so no more work for me. I'm quitting my job and will spend some of my summer in Yosemite climbing, then come back to New England for fall rock climbing, then winter ice. Rinse and repeat for the foreseeable future. So, all you 9 to 5 'ers,  here's to ya, i'm off to a happy hour to catch a buzz and pick up some strange.

jfa

In my next life, I want to be manfromnantucket.

Fast and rich.

sugnim

I work 40 hours per week, and my commute is anywhere between 6 minutes and 2 hours depending on if I ride my bike (6 minutes) or run home (30-120 minutes)

Joann Y

About 35 hours per week (4 days) working with one night per week on call and one weekend per month on call. Commute typically 40 min drive w husband in morning and 80 min train/el/bus commute home alone which sometimes will involve a leg of run commuting depending on the weather. I guess that adds up to about 41 hours per week which is pretty sweet but also sad because my job has the potential to change drastically in the next couple months with a corporate lab lurking over our shoulders. It's fantastic when I can fit in a run commute because it maximizes time with family; unfortunately, I'm often not motivated to make it happen regularly, esp this time of year.