Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Marky_Mark_17

That's a stunning picture Piwi.

Is the Tauranga Half the pay what you what one?  I just noticed it is on the same day as Waterfront AND Christchurch.  It's completely absurd that 3 of the fastest half marathons in the country are ON THE SAME DAY!  Plus they are all on measured courses which is also uncommon.

It's only 3 weeks before Southern Lakes which is probably too close for me unfortunately. 

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark yes thats the one. Measured courses? Don't tell Jmac 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

I don't know why Christchurch decided to move away from Queens Birthday weekend.  I guess better weather?  But they will loose a lot of out of town runners due to clashes with other races and it now not being a long weekend.

I am not doing Christchurch 2021.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JamesD

JamesD

Beautiful picture, Piwi.  No sheep?

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

zebano

Piwi - I always pay my pacers in beer, maybe if you pass it on to to a pilot you can get over here =)

That's a great picture, looks like a scenic place to run.

The Kiwis might as well start the thread, you guys are the only ones that look like you'll actually have races. My local running organization has been discussing if they can organize races in waves with rolling starts which isn't ideal but I'm all for if it allows me to race!

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - Thanks, knock on wood this week passes by without any hitches. I initially thought maybe I could sneak this time trial in to avoid the pressure, but I figured I need to learn how to handle the pressure from myself.

Re: shorts, I think you should go in Basketball shorts for maximum trolling effect.

Zeb - here’s my advice for the 5k time trial. Run as hard as you can, if your face is not blue for lack of oxygen during that last mile you’re doing it wrong 

Steve - Here’s food for thought.

Think of a sack of potatoes. When completely full it can stand tall on its own right? Now an empty or half empty sack of potatoes does not. Because it lacks structural integrity.

We’re half empty sacks of potatoes. What we can do is add more potatoes (via strength training) so that we can stand upright without thinking about it.

Mark/Steve - I know you guys are from the future, but you’re dropping the recaps on the 28th heh.

Darkwave - Thanks, I’ll do my best if the conditions allow for a time trial on Sunday.

Also, your OCD is entertaining 

Did you add some sheep skin on top of Fluffy to well, make it fluffy?

Keen - Please save us from the Kiwi dictatorship! We need that Southern state wisdom guiding this thread

░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄
              ░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄
              ░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█
              ░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█
              ░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█
              █▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█
              █▒█░█▀▄▄░░░░░█▀░░░░▀▄░░▄▀▀▀▄▒█
              ░█▀▄░█▄░█▀▄▄░▀░▀▀░▄▄▀░░░░█░░█
              ░░█░░▀▄▀█▄▄░█▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀█▀██░█
              ░░░█░░██░░▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄████░█
              ░░░░█░░░▀▀▄░█░░░█░███████░█
              ░░░░░▀▄░░░▀▀▄▄▄█▄█▄█▄█▄▀░░█
              ░░░░░░░▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░█
              ░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░█
              ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░█

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

Zeb - here’s my advice for the 5k time trial. Run as hard as you can, if your face is not blue for lack of oxygen during that last mile you’re doing it wrong 

Flavio I was going to take the approach of PRing my mile and then trying not to fade =)

More seriously I'm in full on weather freak out mode. I was going to give my legs 3 easy days (w/ strides) and do this Wednesday since the weather would be best but its going to start snowing after noon on Tuesday and not stop.... I guess I'm running Tuesday instead even though it will be 26F with 15mph winds (feels like 13F). Such is life.

The real conundrum is do I go out and just feel out 5k pace? or do I use the watch and just lock into 4 min / KM and adjust late in the race if I feel good  / die slowly if I feel bad.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Zebano I would lock into 4 min pace and try and hold. Do you have anything to go on to suggest your current 5k form ?

Flavio you used to be a sack of donuts 🍩  but now you are potatoes 🥔? 

zebano

No I don't. I actually suspect I'm in 21 minute shape (mostly due to +10 lbs since Covid) based on my VO2 intervals over a month ago.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If you think you're in 21 minute shape, or something like that, I would go out at no faster than 4:12 per KM, and then evaluate halfway through.

Flavio - I've been browsing the internet looking for an offensive pink dog collar with faux fur that I can customize with "Fluffy" and wrap around one of the handles.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Think of a sack of potatoes. When completely full it can stand tall on its own right? Now an empty or half empty sack of potatoes does not. Because it lacks structural integrity.

We’re half empty sacks of potatoes. What we can do is add more potatoes (via strength training) so that we can stand upright without thinking about it.

Also try not running for 4 weeks like me. You will definitely feel like a sack of potatoes. It's nice.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also try not running for 4 weeks like me. You will definitely feel like a sack of potatoes. It's nice.

But that sack of potatoes, when dropped into the fiery cauldron of training, becomes FRENCH FRIES!

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

The Kiwis might as well start the thread, you guys are the only ones that look like you'll actually have races. My local running organization has been discussing if they can organize races in waves with rolling starts which isn't ideal but I'm all for if it allows me to race!

I'll get it rolling today or tomorrow if Keen isn't around.  He is the longest-serving regular that hasn't done it before so I was hoping he'd have a go, but he's not around the forums that frequently so maybe he wouldn't have wanted the responsibility anyway.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Darkwave you are making me hungry. I would like to add copious amounts of salt and tomato sauce 

Zebano unfortunately there's quite a difference between 21 and 20 min 5k pace so you will need to lock into a realistic pace or you will fade badly.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'll get it rolling today or tomorrow if Keen isn't around.  He is the longest-serving regular that hasn't done it before so I was hoping he'd have a go, but he's not around the forums that frequently so maybe he wouldn't have wanted the responsibility anyway.

I was hoping my references to footpod technology would drag him out, but no such luck.

Piwi- tomato sauce?  And not ketchup?  You Kiwis are an odd bunch.

(in the mid-Atlantic area of the US, it's common for French Fries to be consumed with apple cider vinegar - it's a tradition)