Looking for first marathon in 2019...opinions on FIRST? (Read 194 times)

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

What was your half marathon time? How recent was it?

Recent 10k time?

I just read an article...10k vs. Marathon time...

https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20782973/reality-marathon-training/

10k                Marathon          MPW

51                    3:59                40

45                    3:29                50-60

38                    3:00                70

32                    2:29                80-90

Thanks.  This article is a good read.  Half marathon time 4 years ago was 1:44 and change.  Ran the last 7 miles with a lot of IT band pain though...wasn't really properly trained.  My most recent 10k was 42:07 last May.  I'm going to use the 1/2 I run on April 28th to gauge pacing and what's a reality.  Obviously my goal starts with getting to the starting line and finishing the race.  Beyond that, sub 4 hours would be my time goal right now and based on the half I run I'll try to define a possible stretch goal.

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

Quick update - ran NJ Half yesterday.  Was targeting a 1:40 and finished in 1:37:21.  Felt great.  Stayed with 1:40 pacer for first 6 miles and felt like I was holding back.  Picked it up and felt confident to trust my training and feel for the race.

Training plan was followed almost exactly and totally paid off.  Felt strong and confident throughout.  Absolutely feeling increased confidence for running NY in November!

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"

NorNev

On the West Coast: Bizz Johnson, a downhill on dirt roads. Moderate elevation of 6500-4000 might be an issue for some.

I'm a lurker here but am one of the letters & opinions idiots, Bizz would be a perfect first marathon, first of all its a very easy downhill run plus it's run mostly on hard packed dirt. Support is great and only a few hundred people run in it with beautiful scenery.

A very enjoyable marathon and I may run in again this year

KenAVL

Pick a race where the logistics are easy and you don't have to worry much about parking or taking a shuttle or traffic.   You want a first marathon where you can just be at ease about as much as possible.