"Best Times" Column for Courses (Read 902 times)

Hi there, 

I have a suggestion for the tab called "Courses" in the running log. 

Currently it displays the name, distance, view, edit, delete options for each course.

It would be great to also have a column for "Best time" and "Best pace" - I.e. The app searches through matching workouts that the user has completed on that course and shows the user's quickest time and pace (and a link to that workout).

Great piece of software otherwise. I've been to and from a lot of different logs including MapMyRun, Endomondo, etc, but have settled for RA as the best all-rounder. Looking forward to seeing some of the user suggestions implemented. 

Thanks,

Rob.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well, if you click on a course, it brings up a list of all your workouts for the course, and you can sort by time or pace.  Or am I not understanding your suggestion?

an amazing likeness

The OP wants to see the best time for the course as an attribute of the course itself, on the course information panel.

It's a good thought, but fraught with at least one problem -- which is for many folks' log, the course isn't a "specific" or fixed course, it can vary by distance and actual track covered.  For example, picture a course called "Ran Around Downtown", one day it goes this away and is 7 miles, the next if goes thataway and 9 miles.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Yup most of my courses like neighborhood loops, MRP, track and treadmill don't have any meaning except where I ran that workout.  

If a course is marked as a race course (like a workout), then maybe it makes sense.  Also one may end up racing oneself on their everyday courses with this suggestion.

Like MilkTruck and Happyfeet, I also have courses like "All About Town" which can vary from three miles to 20+.  There's a similar course, "All About Town with Hound!" which just indicates I have my dog with me.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

Well then maybe only do it for courses that have assigned distances!

Running my way to being a little less fat.

eric :)

That's a good idea.  I'll add this to the training log revamp project.

I assign about half my runs to maybe 4 different courses.  But I use that course feature to set a base distance.  I often shorten or extend the runs depending on how I'm feeling that day. 

So while my out and back course says 5 miles I may take my 9 minute pace another 4.5 minutes and turn around making the thing a 6 miler.  I change the input to 6 miles, which no longer matches the default distance. 

Maybe only use that feature if the default distance is used? 

That's a good idea.  I'll add this to the training log revamp project.

Sweet, cheers Eric.

Thanks for the added suggestions guys.

Rob.

Doug,

The problem with that is that at that point it's not really a "course" anymore and becomes more of a location. A course would be a set distance, and a location would be essentially what it sounds like, basically just the name of an area/route you ran. 

-Rob

Doug,

The problem with that is that at that point it's not really a "course" anymore and becomes more of a location. A course would be a set distance, and a location would be essentially what it sounds like, basically just the name of an area/route you ran. 

-Rob

I guess. 

But my suggestion to only use a PR for the course if the distance matches the default distance would remove the cases where you get a "course PR" by simply cutting the run short.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Doug,

-Rob

What Doug describes is what most people actually do, I think.

But anyway, where is this mysterious "location" field to which you allude?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

That was kind of my point. People use courses more as a location. So it would be hard to implement this. There is no "location" field but that would be more appropriate for how people are using it. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That was kind of my point. People use courses more as a location. So it would be hard to implement this. There is no "location" field but that would be more appropriate for how people are using it. 

Ah, now I understand - yes, I concur.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, it's kind of interesting hearing how other people do their logging.  I treat a course as a course, and if I deviate from it, I go to the trouble of making a copy, modifying it, and logging my run with the new course.  Probably excessively meticulous.