"Accidentally" ran 9+ miles today (Read 999 times)

jeffdonahue

So my workout for today was scheduled to be an interval workout consisting of 6x1000. The track is about 3/4 of a mile away which had meant that my entire workout was going to be about 6 miles. So I get out of my car where I park it and start the run over to the track. It is drizzling out, but nothing too bad. When I get in sight of the track... the sprinklers are on. Well, while the drizzling is not bad I have no desire to run through sprinklers today. So I head over to another track taht is at the local middle school. The rain was harder yesterday and this one is partially flooded - not to mention I dont really like that track because it is not asphalt, but packed crushed stone which tends to kick into my shoes as I run. So back to the car and drive to the gym and hit the treadmill. I do another mile or so warmup and then adjust the intervals to be 6x 4 min intervals with one minute jog rest between. Only issue is that they apparently have not turned on the AC at my gym yet and I am DRENCHED in sweat. I decide to cool down running outside in the drizzle adn subsequently end up running a longer cooldown than I would have on the treadmill. By the time I am done I am wondering why I am so tired and realize that I had done over 9 miles today. Tomorrow - I take it easy.
    Carps10

this is what's known as a quality day. you got in good miles as well as some good turnover.
        "Accidently running 9 miles" is sorta like the person that "forgets to eat". Totally don't know how it is possible.

A Saucy Wench

"Accidently running 9 miles" is sorta like the person that "forgets to eat". Totally don't know how it is possible.
          I know I know...he saw me a few paces ahead of him on the bunny chase and is gunning for me. Wink Because it IS all about ME. Big grin Awesome job Jeff

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jeffdonahue

I know I know...he saw me a few paces ahead of him on the bunny chase and is gunning for me. Wink Because it IS all about ME. Big grin Awesome job Jeff
            Well, that part is actually kind of true too Big grin About a week ago you were right above me on the chart and tehn all of a sudden you jumped up like 4-5 spots and left me in your dust (I am guessing it was right when you logged that 40 and 52 mile week back to back and my mileage dropped last week since I was home with kids while the wife was away). Since the bunny is not really an issue any more I try to motivate myself off of other runners that are close to me - either catching them or staying ahead of them. So I am reloading my wabbit wifle and heading to Oregon (guessing that is where you live since you ran the Portland marathon and Hood to Coast) looking for faster prey. Smile But I'm in Mass so it could take me a while to get there.

A Saucy Wench

So I am reloading my wabbit wifle and heading to Oregon (guessing that is where you live since you ran the Portland marathon and Hood to Coast) looking for faster prey. Smile But I'm in Mass so it could take me a while to get there.
              OK Elmer....of course you know...this means war! Big grin

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

not to mention I dont really like that track because it is not asphalt, but packed crushed stone which tends to kick into my shoes as I run.
                And I thought it was just me.... My wife and runner friend looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if they ever kicked rocks into their shoes. I can be running on the road if there is a rock anywhere around me it will find a way into my shoes. BTW - Good job on the 9+
                  Does "forgetting" to eat for about 6 hours after a (very) long training run count? Maybe I didn't "forget"... I just never got hungry and never thought about eating. Maybe I cheated... I had some sport drink as well as water during the run, and the distance was a PR for me so even afterward I was still thinking about it.

A Saucy Wench

Does "forgetting" to eat for about 6 hours after a (very) long training run count? Maybe I didn't "forget"... I just never got hungry and never thought about eating. Maybe I cheated... I had some sport drink as well as water during the run, and the distance was a PR for me so even afterward I was still thinking about it.
                    That counts double. Usually after a long run I have planned my food about an hour before I am done running. Running makes me hungry hungry hungry. MTA - pretty much everything makes me hungry Big grin

That counts double. Usually after a long run I have planned my food about an hour before I am done running. Running makes me hungry hungry hungry...
                      Yeah... for myself, I found when I started running (1971) that running in the morning, going slower and for at least 40 minutes seemed to suppress my appetite for breakfast and even lunch. When I asked a guy from OHSU why the longer I ran, the longer it took me to get hungry, he explained it in terms of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems... I've forgotten the details (not my field of expertise.) Now I run easy all the time, usually at a HR where my VO2 test says I'm burning 80% fat and 20% carbs. So I'm not depleting my glycogen supply very much. Oh, I don't ever take in calories on training runs... just water and maybe electrolyte capsules if it's warm enough to perspire much. It sure would be nice to have the "easy run" pace of 30 years ago, but those days are long gone. Take care, Gino
                      jeffdonahue

Wow, Ennay - just couldnt stand to see me catch up a little so you had to throw in your own 9 miler huh?

A Saucy Wench

Oooooh nice couple weeks you've had Jeff...almost caught me napping. Rest day today but I'm on it.