Need help with FR 50 manual calibration (Read 448 times)

I recently purchased the FR50 with HRM and footpod and ran out and calibrated it at my local 400m track. I ran a mile at my usual pace during re-calibration.

I've gone for a couple runs since then and the FR50 seems to be clocking my mileage a little low. For example, today I ran a measured 3.09 miles ( using RunningAHEAD map tool ) and my watch gave me 2.84 miles, which is off by about 8 percent. Too me, that is just too much of a disparity. Looking at the calibration factor, it is currently set to 85.6.

Now, if I head out and attempt another calibration, will the watch fine-tune and adjust the current value of 85.6 in order to make it more accurate? Will running several calibration runs make it better and better at measuring your distance? Or does it always re-calibrate the default 1.0 setting.

If I can't achieve good measurements with the auto-calibration feature, I suppose I can change the calibration setting myself, but I'm not sure I understand the measurements. If I am 8 percent off with 85.6 calibration factor, what would I need to set it to in order for it to move to 100 percent or closer to it, since the watch is under-measuring?

Perhaps I will need to use trial and error here if I can't make sense of these numbers. I wish the instructions were of more use but they don't explain squat.

Thanks for any insight you may have in helping me achieve optimal use of my new toy!

will run for popsicles

hey. i've been going through the same thing. i think you can fine tune it by increasing the number slightly to make the distance longer. just adjust a small amount and compare. and repeat. and repeat. using auto-calibration has never worked that great for me.

one other problem --- once you've calibrated it's only accurate at that specific speed. so if it's just right for easy run, it'll be off for intervals and vice versa. really only super-accurate if you run really close to same pace every day. otherwise you just have to settle for ballpark.

at least that's my experience. i use it a lot on treadmill and it drives me nuts. maybe better to just accept that it's not so exact and live with it. good luck.

Kultcha

I've been messing around with the calibration manually on the FR50 for a few months & think I have arrived at a happy medium.

After every run I record the calibration factor and adjust it up or down based on what I know is the actual distance. I have now settled on a calibration setting that appears fairly accurate. I find it is now consistent to around 3% - good enough for me.

Things that I have found to effect the measurement include:

• Left foot or right foot placement
        • Location of pod on the shoe
        • Surface run on
        • (and as per "I like margarine" says) the pace at which you are averaging your run at - although I find this is not such a big issue as my pace usually varies between 5:30 to 4:00 min/km

Trial & error using the manual adjustment has been the best method for me - but it does take some time to get there. I am dreading the time that I change shoes. 

I have read of people who maintain a calibration list and manually adjust calibration based on type of work out, surface, & shoes.  I think I will switch to a GPS if I ever get that pedantic.

Cheers

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it!

After my first few experiences with the device, and your input regarding the trial and error process of calibration, I've come to the conclusion that I don't have the patience for a foot pod. When I purchase something and it doesn't work the way I want or expected it to, it really gets on my nerves. For that reason, I've ordered a 305. I think it will be a better match for me, as it is just put on and go. Perhaps I'll still use the foot pod indoors or get around to calibrating it for cadence, but but outdoors, looks like I'll be going the GPS route.