Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

watsonc123

Only 100 miles on the sub 2?  That's a tiny amount.

If you want workout shoes with only moderate stack, maybe NB Rebel v2, Saucony Kinvara, Sketchers Razor 3?

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Only 100 miles on the sub 2?  That's a tiny amount.

If you want workout shoes with only moderate stack, maybe NB Rebel v2, Saucony Kinvara, Sketchers Razor 3?

I agree.  And they really only felt good for the first run or two.  Maybe just a bum pair?  Or maybe I've just had bad days and am unfairly correlating it with the shoe.

I've got a pair of Puma Liberate Nitro supposedly being delivered, so those are my next to try.  The Rebel is tempting, but I've heard it feels very high stack.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DW I'm a big fan of New Balance fuelcell rebels although I'm on my 2nd pair of version 1 and haven't tried version 2.

They get rave reviews though.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Well, now that's 2 votes for the rebel.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Darkwave - my love of darkness in the morning is weird and I get that it is not for everyone.  Also as a guy I recognise it is partly due to the fact that I don't feel unsafe running in the dark in most places I know.

Anyway on shoes, agree that 100 miles is not much.  I have been using older VF's as training shoes, as I find they lose a bit of spring after around 90 miles / 150km.  But they are still good for tempo runs and workouts, up to about 300km / 180 miles when they start to feel a bit dead.

That's not much less than I get from the Saucony Kinvara which for me are generally good for around 400km.  I think I must be quite stompy as I seem to burn through shoes faster than average.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Way back when I ran in the Kinvara (1 and 2) - I burned through those very quickly.  200 miles and they were done - I'd have worn part of the outsole down to where it biased the shoe on foot strike.  I've never done that with any other shoe.

The adios boosts were generally good for about 600 miles for me.  I got spoiled.  Sub-2s were much less durable, but this little is ridiculous.

Marky_Mark_17

Way back when I ran in the Kinvara (1 and 2) - I burned through those very quickly.  200 miles and they were done - I'd have worn part of the outsole down to where it biased the shoe on foot strike.  I've never done that with any other shoe.

The adios boosts were generally good for about 600 miles for me.  I got spoiled.  Sub-2s were much less durable, but this little is ridiculous.

Yeah, that's definitely not right.  Either a dud pair, or perhaps they didn't hold up in storage particularly well?

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

I get a lot of miles in most shoes.

I normally get 500+ miles.

My Zoom Fly 2 are around 250 miles, and are not going to get a huge more (50-100 miles).  So that is about the worst I have had.

My easy day Reebok Symmetros is at 400 miles.  And I expect at least 200 miles more.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

Marky_Mark_17

On this topic, I've got a pair of Alphaflys I'm going to try out tomorrow.

A former work colleague got them for a suspiciously cheap price from a Chinese website and I bought them off him for around NZ$100 as he got the sizing wrong.  They sat in the cupboard for a while but time to give them a go I guess.  They look fairly legit but there are some pretty good quality fakes doing the rounds these days.  Will find out tomorrow.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

You will soon be able to tell Mark. I bought Lunaracers cheap out of China back in 2011 and they weighed heavier and were quite tight for my usual size. The midsole didn't feel bouncy like the lunaracers normally do. In summary I couldn't even wear them they were so uncomfortable 😭 😫

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JamesD

JamesD

I get a lot of miles in most shoes.

I normally get 500+ miles.

My Zoom Fly 2 are around 250 miles, and are not going to get a huge more (50-100 miles).  So that is about the worst I have had.

My easy day Reebok Symmetros is at 400 miles.  And I expect at least 200 miles more.

Yeah, the Symmetros seem very durable.  I have a bit over 400 miles on my pair, and the cushion still feels fine.  I get 300-500 miles out of most shoes, but these may make it to 600.  I expect using them only for slow treadmill miles helps.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

watsonc123

Nike are very controlling of selling their race shoes online.

Good luck on them.

On Saturday, a good runner at the club (16 and change 5km racer) ended up pulling out at 7km due to ankle issues in his new Alpha Fly.

They seem to be a love it or hate it shoe.

Marky_Mark_17

Scratch that, I'm trying them out Wed, I don't wanna screw up my workout tomorrow (I'm looking forward to it!).

Anyway, interesting stuff in the post-Cabinet press conference today (this is also for Steve's benefit since he understandably ignores all that carry-on).  The government has basically said they'll make a call on vaccine passports soon to enable the summer festival season (i.e. New Years etc.) to go ahead.  They've correctly realised this is a GREAT lever to get people vaccinated.  The fact they've announced this also makes it extremely hard to renege on because it would be catastrophic for them to be the Grinch that stole New Years.  Basically I think they are trying to copy Norway and Denmark's approach.

There's two important corollaries of this for all of us Kiwi's wanting to race:

1. Races from probably early December onwards should be all good IF YOU ARE VACCINATED.  The infrastructure will have to be in place well before Xmas to support summer festivals etc.

2. Races before then are a real toss-up.  There's a good chance that they'll maintain general gathering limits subject to the proviso that vaccination passports will exempt events from these, because that's the carrot for people to get vaccinated ASAP.  That means they may well leave us at Level 2 for a while with vaccination being the ticket / exemption for big events to go ahead.  It wouldn't make sense to go to Level 1 (zero cases / no restrictions) and then put vaccination passport restrictions in place to cover large events, at which point there's no case for actually needing them, until there's another outbreak.  Or maybe this is part of the new level 1.  Either way, outcome is the same.

Dunno how I feel about this.  Big picture, it's a good thing as it means things should be able to go ahead as planned from December or so.  I don't like my chances of running Nelson Half in November though, so it might be slow hot summer races for a bit which would mean I've had 6 months of good training without a decently quick time to show for it.  Still, there's always next year.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I'm a little divided on this - I'm glad if events happen and I plan to get fully vaccinated but I don't much care for "show me your papers" type rules.

It doesn't paint a rosy picture for Wellington, or Dunedin really because I can't see this being implemented until December.  I'm only single vaccinated so far with a booking for the day after Queenstown, but if Wellington is cancelled I'll just go into one of the drop in clinics that seem to be popping up in the next week or so.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

I'm a little divided on this - I'm glad if events happen and I plan to get fully vaccinated but I don't much care for "show me your papers" type rules.

It doesn't paint a rosy picture for Wellington, or Dunedin really because I can't see this being implemented until December.  I'm only single vaccinated so far with a booking for the day after Queenstown, but if Wellington is cancelled I'll just go into one of the drop in clinics that seem to be popping up in the next week or so.

Yeah, I see your point and to some extent agree.  Fundamentally I'm a pragmatist though I guess and I'd accept this minor imposition in place of the removal of current and future major impositions (lockdowns and border controls) and the ability to actually start planning for races with a reasonable degree of confidence again.

I don't like the chances of Wellington or Dunedin, or Nelson in my case.  I might get Omaha Half (12 Dec) in though.  If they don't have things in place by then, New Years ain't happening either!

I had a mild headache and felt a bit bleh the day after my second vaccination but was back to normal the day after that.  I only know a couple of people that have felt really average (my wife was one) and even then it was very much a 24-48 hour gig.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"