WMA Age Grading and Talent Level (Read 84 times)

Stevepf

For those of you familiar with WMA age grading standards, what do you think is the maximum % a runner of average talent can achieve?

This is just theoretical, so let's set aside practical limitations such as time available to train, access to resources such as top-level coaching and so forth.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Define average runner. I am normally finishing in the top 8-9% of the top local races in my area but my PR's are slow compared to a lot of the amature runners on this forum. I would not consider many people on RA as average runners. My half PR is an age grade of only 58% so even with a few more years of very consistent training,  I doubt I will be able to get better than 65% before I turn 40.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think that will vary a lot depending on the race distance.  Since performance in longer events is highly dependent on mileage, and average runners don't run high mileage, age graded rankings are going to be higher for the shorter distances.  I ran a few numbers through the AG calculator using a small set of arbitrary numbers, and the values fell in the 50 +/- range.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Stevepf

Can't really define it. Can only infer from expected results vs. actual results. For example, if a runner trains little relative to his peers, is carrying extra weight, and does not execute his races well, yet manages to somehow consistently outperform his peers, that must be due to above-average talent. What else could it be?

Define average runner. I am normally finishing in the top 8-9% of the top local races in my area but my PR's are slow compared to a lot of the amature runners on this forum. I would not consider many people on RA as average runners. My half PR is an age grade of only 58% so even with a few more years of very consistent training,  I doubt I will be able to get better than 65% before I turn 40.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think that will vary a lot depending on the race distance.  Since performance in longer events is highly dependent on mileage, and average runners don't run high mileage, age graded rankings are going to be higher for the shorter distances.  I ran a few numbers through the AG calculator using a small set of arbitrary numbers, and the values fell in the 50 +/- range.

Based on the difference in my own numbers between when I was training seriously (60-70 mpw and regular speed work) and more casually (30 mpw and occasional speed work), I expect one could raise the rating by 10-15 points.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

if a runner trains little relative to his peers, is carrying extra weight, and does not execute his races well, yet manages to somehow consistently outperform his peers

Steve, seems like you have been paying attention to my running journey for the past 6-12 months...

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10