Pose Method of Running (Read 1032 times)

Anybody doing this? I've been doing if for a month now and dropped my mile run by over 30 seconds(I'm not an experienced runner by any means). I'm loving it. It helps you run more efficent, injury free, and faster. The general rules of Pose is that you land on the balls of your foot and pull with your hamstrings. It lessens the stress on your knees. if you go to www.posetech.com, you can read more about it.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

I remember reading about it for a bit... and thinking how jealous I was that someone had found such a great way to make LOTS of money... Roll eyes So... um... no, not me!

Roads were made for journeys...

Then I guess the US Olympic Triathon team are nothing but suckers.
        vicentefrijole

How have you learned to do it? It looks like they have all sorts of videos and books? Did it take a lot of practice (re-learning to run) or is it more about 'tweaking' your existing running form? I'd like to know more about it. I have to say that I'm a little skeptical of someone charging money to show me how to run (sort of like showing me how to breathe?) (I suspect that was Wingz' reaction too). But there's no doubt that I could use some improvement on my running form at times (like mile 25 Wink). Do you think this method is just as valuable for the beginning runner as the advanced (US olympic triathlete) runner?
          vicentefrijole

Sort of another topic, maybe, but if you (any of you) ever get a chance to have yourself video taped running (preferably doing strides from a straight on point of view) for diagnostic purposes, do it! It's a really interesting (sometimes surprising) way to learn about your running form. I bet you could even do it yourself, but it's also nice to have some sort of trainer/PT person on hand to point some things out. Big grin
              I'm a rookie runner. I never entered a race and I lowered my mile time from about 8:50 to 8:15 after a month of exercises. So I think it could help everybody. You talk about paying someone to teach you how to run. Do you look at running as a sport or a learned skill? I'm sure most be do. You know how to hit a golf ball, why do people pay other people to teach them to do it better? You know how to hit keys on a piano key board, why do people pay other people to teach them to do it better? Running is a skill that needs to be practiced properly. Somebody learned how to do it and is willing to teach you. Plus, one last thing, if people are paying $100 to $120 for shoes, why are they still getting injured? It's because their form is wrong.
                A similar thing happened to me when I started using Chi Running techniques. I got mildly faster and I completely stopped having shin splints, which was definitely noticeable and a great thing and more important than any speed improvements for me. More info can be had at chirunning.com or you can just get the book for $12-ish at amazon.com. I found the diagrams and descriptions in the book all I needed to tweak my technique. The author gives you focus points to think about as you run, and you can start incorporating them right away.
                  I heard Chirunning and Pose were similiar. I've nevered checked out Chirunning. I think I will.
                    I'm not a fan of either POSE or ChiRunning, insofar as i consider the fundamental concept of forward-leaning running to be flawed. There is no scientific evidence that either of these techniques will improve your performance, efficiency, endurance or speed. At best, there is some evidence that POSE shifts stress from the knee to the ankle. So if you have bad knees, maybe it will help you. Until you develop bad ankles. Smile

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

vicentefrijole

More info can be had at chirunning.com...
                      Thanks. Very interesting. Also, I just found this link to an NPR story on their website: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6070170 From a very brief look at both the Pose and the ChiRunning websites, they both seem to use similar methods (though the details may be different?). I'll keep looking... you've got me very interested!
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

Then I guess the US Olympic Triathon team are nothing but suckers.
                        LOL. Tell ya what. If I ever get to the spot where I'm even close to being an elite athlete, I'll be looking for a coach anyway. I'll take another look at it then. Until then, though, form is NOT what's holding me back. Big grin

LOL. Tell ya what. If I ever get to the spot where I'm even close to being an elite athlete, I'll be looking for a coach anyway. I'll take another look at it then. Until then, though, form is NOT what's holding me back. Big grin
                          Fair enough. For me, I feel that form is holding me back. I was throwing info out there for everybody to make his/her own decision.
                          vicentefrijole

Until then, though, form is NOT what's holding me back. Big grin
                            AHA! Wingz with the counter-point! I suspect that my list of things holding me back are as follows: 1) That 'one last' beer last night. 2) Chicago wind-storms (always blowing against me, never with) 3) Chipotle burritos 4) Coat stuck in car door . . . . . 72) Bad running form But I'm always interested in hearing about this stuff! It's just interesting to learn more about running.
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm a rookie runner. I never entered a race and I lowered my mile time from about 8:50 to 8:15 after a month of exercises. So I think it could help everybody.
                              However, whenever someone says "I think it could help EVERYBODY," I think there's a really really really good chance they're wrong. Wink The results I've read about Pose have been mixed. Works well for some. Doesn't do squat for others. And still others get injured because they were tampering with their natural running form. Looks like you're in the first batch, and I'm glad it's working for you. May you reach your running dreams!

Wingz

Professional Noob

But I'm always interested in hearing about this stuff! It's just interesting to learn more about running.
                                Absolutely. Big grin Sorry I forgot to say that. Blame it on the time of day I was posting. Tongue