Data import from Strava (Read 278 times)

Is it possible to import data from Strava into the RA log? I don't see it on the list of import options, so I assume not. Is it being worked on?

I thought I could download the data from Strava onto my computer, then upload those files to RA. But it seems Strava makes you do that one activity at a time, which would be a laborious task. Most of them are on my Garmin, so I know I can upload directly from that, but I have made some edits in Strava (shoe selection, manual addition of treadmill runs, etc.)

Any advice on the easiest way to move my activities into RA? Thanks.

Dave

xhristopher

Hey, I know the answer to this one.

You can export to GPX format from Strava then import that GPX into RA.

BUT!!!!

Strava doesn't support bulk export so you need to do it one workout at a time and this could take years off your life.

AND!!!!

It's a premium feature so you gotta pay, or at least take the free trial.

xhristopher

I  thought I could download the data from Strava onto my computer, then upload those files to RA. But it seems Strava makes you do that one activity at a time, which would be a laborious task. 

Looks like I didn't read your question that well. I'll put my hand down now.

eric :)

Unless Strava allows you to download all your data in a file, you'll have to resort to manually downloading each file.  If you're computer savvy, you can probably write a script to download the files.

eric Smile

Thanks Eric, I figured as much but had to ask. No I am not computer savvy enough. I guess that's how they make it hard to leave...I hate to start from scratch again, but seems like a big hassle to download the individual activities. Ironic because when I started on Strava, I used a mass upload of files downloaded from Runkeeper, which did allow that.

Another question: one thing I don't want to lose is my shoe mileage which I am tracking on Strava. I think the RA log also has that feature. But if I start from scratch on RA (or just go back a short time), does RA allow me to enter a shoe with miles alread on it? (Although figuring out how many miles there were at a certain point may be another challenge.)

Oh and xhristopher - thanks anyway!

Dave

eric :)

You can set the initial mileage for your shoes on RA.

bhearn

You can export to GPX format from Strava then import that GPX into RA.

BUT!!!!

Strava doesn't support bulk export so you need to do it one workout at a time and this could take years off your life.

AND!!!!

It's a premium feature so you gotta pay, or at least take the free trial.

Is this still true? GPX loses splits etc., right?

I'm looking at a Suunto 9 to replace my aging Garmin 920. It appears I can get movescount (one of TWO options for managing Suunto data) to sync with Strava. But then I would have to manually transfer each workout, lose splits, AND have to pay??? That sounds like a non-starter. 

You can download the gpx from suuntos movescount website. You can download them manually one by one and upload them manually. If you ask me: stay with garmin.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

bhearn

Thanks. So to clarify -- there's no way to auto-import from anything but GarminConnect?

Any way to upload to RA directly from the watch with a Suunto (like I used to do with my old 310)?