READ access to running log (Read 54 times)

BillyF

So I have set up the read only password for the log ages ago which works fine when entered in the address bar of a browser or as a link on my blog.

I have stepped up the programming side of this blog (now self hosting) and thought it would be neat to display a page of log data in one of my blog pages rather than opening a new window.

The url I discover will not work with authentication in either <iframe> or <object> in html by design. So I started looking at https POST/GET requests and php but can find no way to authenticate a read access to a page of the log. All I can get is the log in page displayed.

I spent many years as a programmer years ago but have never really engaged with the client-server architecture of the web so it's probably a  lack of understanding on my part. So what I'm asking: is this part of your design to disallow this possibility? It'll save me wasting more of my  time trying to figure out something that just ain't going to work.

Appreciate a response though this is hobby stuff and not pressing issue.

Thanks

an amazing likeness

If you haven't already, take a look at the RunningAhead API information to use the API to integrate your log data into an external web page.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Reading your post, I checked a blog I set up years ago and haven't looked at in years.  I was surprised to see my RA data is still showing up there. Is something like this what you're after?

Here's the code that seems to be working:

<div>

<script src="//www.runningahead.com/scripts/YOURLOGID/totals" type="text/javascript"></script>

</div>

BillyF

Apologies, delayed reply but sometimes other non-important stuff like having to work rather than run gets in the way.

Just want to thank you both for the responses.

API looks interesting and there's a learning curve there, but first step, register, can't find any information on how that is achieved.

The script thing still works, I tried it and it popped up a box with no numbers, this just made me realise how stupid I can be. Of course I've set a read only password on the runningahead site, but I am essentially letting anyone read the data through my blog if I get that authorization working, so potentially a lot of work to achieve the same thing as selecting "Allow everyone to see my running log" in "my log preferences". I do this and of course all appears as it should on the blog page.

What a dummy!

I would still like to pursue the use of api though and would appreciate info on registration process.

Thanks