Question for HS cross country experienced, athletes or coaches (Read 191 times)

what if she's a goalie?

Less game time running than everyone else.  But running in practice.  I doubt her coach leaves her on the bench when everyone else is running drills.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

The subject of the original post was 3rd place individual  in her first xc race ever. 39 teams. Beaten by two seniors who are two of the top high school runners in FL.

joescott

The subject of the original post was 3rd place individual  in her first xc race ever. 39 teams. Beaten by two seniors who are two of the top high school runners in FL.

Wow.  That's incredible.  We'll have to watch for her name over the next 4 years!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Does she like running.

I know a girl who got 2nd her cc race but quit after that because she didn't like it.

At my kids school a few girls would do soccer and cc every fall.

Soccer is the bigger sport so they would practice it more.

I have seen a lot of girls quit in the 11th or 12th even one who was one

of the best runners in the state.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

GC100k

I have seen a lot of girls quit in the 11th or 12th even one who was one

of the best runners in the state.

Happens a lot.  A childhood friend of mine was 3rd in the state as a freshman and won the XC and track 2-mile (yes I'm that old) state championships as a sophomore, but then quit because she didn't like it.

Saw a thing some years ago that most high school state cross-country championships are won by freshman and sophomores.  That's mostly about physical changes.  A lot of girls slow down after their bodies become more womanly.  They get frustrated and frequently injured.  A friend/colleague of mine backs this up.  His daughter won everything in high school, is now a college D1 all-american, and is thriving even though she's not built like Tegla Laroupe.  But he says it was totally true that in high school some freshman waif would show up and start winning everything right away while dedicated, hard-training older girls would get slower as they aged.

So if they like running, go with it.  Enjoy it.  Who knows, maybe they'll love it and continue to get better and better.  But leave room for desire and nature to make some peaks and valleys in the running adventure.